pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doing a boil down of 140 gallons of sap today, and by tonight I am going to see the 3.5 gallons of golden syrup. IMG_20150317_114639342_HDR.jpg

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: I have no idea what your talking about ?? :dontknow:'

oh, I see your making maple syrup... Cool !! :thumbsup:

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasure comes in all forms! altough real maple syrup is an aqquired taste i prefer it over colored corn syrup!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_scratch: I have no idea what your talking about ?? :dontknow:'

oh, I see your making maple syrup... Cool !! :thumbsup:
Did about 15 gallons or more last year, gave it all away to folks that love a great product.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Our trees have not been hardly flowing. they were tapped about ten days ago, only nine gallons of sap last saturday. 80 trees, northwest WI

Have you tapped all 80 trees?
We have 350 on the property the previous owner told me, I haven't counted them yet. I have 6 pipelines (55 taps) going this season along with 20 buckets, I didn't want too many going as I'm not around for a part of the season this year.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have wanted to do that my whole life. I can't wait to hear how much you got. I bet you it taste 100x better than the store bought stuff, the store bought kind is probably not even from real trees:laughing7:. I have a feeling the hard work is about to pay off.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the most patriotic pastimes of the average Canadian.
I'd do it too if I lived there and had access to the trees. That stuff's delicious - and mad expensive too! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have wanted to do that my whole life. I can't wait to hear how much you got. I bet you it taste 100x better than the store bought stuff, the store bought kind is probably not even from real trees:laughing7:. I have a feeling the hard work is about to pay off.

Well it's bottled and the out come is 5 gallons of syrup. It's a pretty dark grade for being the first tapping but there seems to be lots of minerals in this batch, which produced a real nice flavour. I'll post up the picture tomorrow.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb! I did that on a smaller scale with my father back in Maryland. We had a few gigantic old sugar maples that gave us some top-notch syrup. Really is a fun activity.

Thanks for sharing this, I like seeing people doing awesome things.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding! Luxury set up!

I have done it on our back firepit with large food trays. Takes a LOT of firewood.
HPIM1234_zps7d15d4c9.jpg

HPIM1226.jpg

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding! Luxury set up!

I have done it on our back firepit with large food trays. Takes a LOT of firewood.
View attachment 1132842

View attachment 1132840

Great colour Charlie, that's what makes the home brewed syrup so good as every season it's a bit different in colour and taste. We purchased the equipment from the previous owner of the property, luxurious in some ways and it needs a lot of tweaking in other ways.
There's a few pressing things like taking care of critter proofing as in this brain fart of starting up the stove to do general clean up last week, it wouldn't draft properly and by the time I figured it out it was a smoke house. The next day I drained the pans, removed them and reached up into the chimney flume and discovered the culprit. :laughing7:

IMG_20150308_120438068_HDR.jpg

EVICTION ORDER for the winter vagabond. It's amazing on how much one critter can stuff in a 6" pipe.:laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yummm. All adds to the special "characteristics" of the batch.

My Dad worked at a brewery in the 1930's and told of some of the things he cleaned out of the mash boilers and fermenting tanks. I never knew him to drink a beer.

Happily he never worked at a distillery. :laughing7:

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother did it for a few years and I would go to the almish and get the slab wood for him. He would make about 50 gal a season. Had a big sugarshack. later in the season when it was a little bitter they would sell it to a company man where it is mixed with the commercial syrups. Nothing like making poached eggs or hotdogs in the end of the syrup tray before ya draw off a batch. Yum Yum! Have done syrup many times and it is always cool.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks tasty, PepperJ. You just got to love the cameraderie when the sap is on the boil. We used to do it too. When my daughter was still in college, she'd come home every day to tap our trees and make syrup. She won the local contests with it two years in a row. She does it now at her own place and she's threatening to come tap our trees next year, haha.

dogbeak

Aug 12, 2005
west central WI
Pepperj
We have about 80 taps out. We usually cook down about 300 gal each year. Most fun you can have working hard!plus excellent reward at the end.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well here's a photo of what's remaining, dropped some off already to friends that have large appetite for the syrup. Now the clean up, and putting it to bed for a few weeks.

P1010588.JPG

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True gold! Nothing like the real deal!

Hey funnel that steam & smoke toward the snow it melts real fast!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
True gold! Nothing like the real deal!

Hey funnel that steam & smoke toward the snow it melts real fast!

Still 1-2ft laying on the ground, lots melting though so in a few weeks it'll start to be hunting material around here. (I hope)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread