My "Totally Free" checking account is now $11 per month?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received a letter from bank stating title of thread.
I've continually kept minimum balance, (or more). I don't have paper checks. I only use debit card. Primarily for fueling work trucks. Not much, app $2000 per month.
Well, the bank says if I don't enroll in direct-deposit, my totally free account will cost $11 per mo. True, it's not much $, it's the point of being forced.
Soooo, I went to a different bank to inquire about their "free checking". Sure as rain, they will provide my needs without fees.
Here's the kicker..! I notice a CoinStar machine. No fee for account holders! Hope it can handle alot of dug coins. ;)
Peace ✌

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a silver(or clad)lining...cool.I would not hesitate to let branch mgr.know why you are switching..in fact..both branch mgrs.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look good my last bank had in fine print somewhere in the mess. For first year only.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya watch out for yourself, it's all about the money!

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
Been at initial bank for 7yrs.
Will look into that darn "fine print".
Peace ✌

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Credit unions are good as well. But mine decided to charge 5% for coinstar type machine they have. They said it was a maintenance fee. I now just use a regular coinstar at the grocery store for my beach clad
and get an Amazon gift card ( no charge ). Your old bank wants to charge you for them using your money to loan to others and collect interest.
Great work if you can get it, I guess

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me started on the whole banking mess.

Over draw your "over draft protected" checking account, it's $35. It is very nice of them to notify you 2 weeks later, after you've written 4 more checks.

They stopped my wife from depositing cash INTO my account. Banked there 40 years, we have CDs, heloc, checking, health sav. acc, there, two Grandads sat on their board of directors, and I get no respect.

0.3 percent on CDs, but charge 20 times that to lend it out.

My mom is a stock holder in the bank, and their annual financial report is off the charts, V.P.s making $250k plus bonuses....but can they give anything back to the loyal customers that provide all this money?

HELL NO. Only more rules and regulations.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local bank did that, started charging for what used to be relatively no strings free checking, and discovered that they lost tons of customers. A couple of years later, they are back to their old free checking.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I lived back in Texas, I banked at a local bank that regularly charged me a monthly fee. When I retired, I went in and talked to one of customer service ladies. I told her I liked doing business at the bank, but I wouldn't continue to pay the fees if I kept banking with them. She said she could help me with that problem. She said the bank had a '55+ Account' that I could use and pay no fees. I asked what the '55' meant. She said, "Oh, when our customers turn 55, they can join the '55+ Account'." I told her that I had been with the bank since I was about 44 years old. Why was I not told about this account? She said it was just common knowledge. I told her that I had no 'common knowledge' of it. She said well, it wasn't really advertised; but it was there if someone wanted to use it. I asked her if I could get a refund of all the monthly fees that I had been paying for all those years after I turned 55. She said that she was sorry, but no, she couldn't do that. So I went to the cashier, withdrew what little I had in my account, and placed with another bank that had free checking. I got several letters from the bank later asking me to return and do business with them. I answered one of the letters and said I would come back if they'd refund all those fees that I paid after I turned 55. Never heard from them again.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Understand that once you deposit your money into a bank account, it's no longer "your" money. You gave the bank an unsecured loan.

Free checking is free until it's not.
Direct deposit minimums are constantly raised.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then there's the cards that they collect on both ends from! It never ends! No wonder they are trying to do away with cash (which is just a promissory note of the Feds anyhow!)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, :icon_scratch:

If you don't want to pay, find a new bank with free checking. :dontknow: However its very hard to find banks that offer free accounts these days. :BangHead:

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get me started on the whole banking mess.

Over draw your "over draft protected" checking account, it's $35. It is very nice of them to notify you 2 weeks later, after you've written 4 more checks.

They stopped my wife from depositing cash INTO my account. Banked there 40 years, we have CDs, heloc, checking, health sav. acc, there, two Grandads sat on their board of directors, and I get no respect.

0.3 percent on CDs, but charge 20 times that to lend it out.

My mom is a stock holder in the bank, and their annual financial report is off the charts, V.P.s making $250k plus bonuses....but can they give anything back to the loyal customers that provide all this money?

HELL NO. Only more rules and regulations.

The secrets to banks being able to give out loans for money that doesn't exist outside of the context of a loan contract, is due to fractional banking. Banks are allowed to take 90% of the money you give them to hold to use for loans in any form. Essentially you give them $10, they say ok we can use $9 to make money on loans but when the customer wants their money back we have to give it back... so they take it from someone other persons $10 deposit and make up the difference on paper by getting a fractional loan from the bank above them. It's a giant pyramid scheme that people know about (not nearly enough), but realize we are so far caught up into this mess that its like a house of cards, breathe on it the wrong way and it's all going to come crashing down. Just no politician wants that to stain their career so we just up the budget deficit at the top (fed reserve; also a privately owned bank / company for profit) and pretend like everything is cool. Meanwhile we are in a period of hyperinflation that is being kept quiet from the masses, less they know that their paper money is losing value every second of every day for the past almost 3 years.

This is ultimately what turned me onto gold. I realize that this house of cards is coming down in my lifetime, soon. It would be wise to stock pile a currency that will actually hold value globally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Aufish.
What are your thoughts on purchasing silver as savings.
Peace ✌

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post took an interesting twist. :thumbsup: I use banks for 3 things, holding a little cash (under $100), buying coin rolls for CRH and returning coins from CRH !! :laughing7:

Buy silver, keep most your cash under your bed with some guns and granola.... :occasion14:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The secrets to banks being able to give out loans for money that doesn't exist outside of the context of a loan contract, is due to fractional banking. Banks are allowed to take 90% of the money you give them to hold to use for loans in any form. Essentially you give them $10, they say ok we can use $9 to make money on loans but when the customer wants their money back we have to give it back... so they take it from someone other persons $10 deposit and make up the difference on paper by getting a fractional loan from the bank above them. It's a giant pyramid scheme that people know about (not nearly enough), but realize we are so far caught up into this mess that its like a house of cards, breathe on it the wrong way and it's all going to come crashing down. Just no politician wants that to stain their career so we just up the budget deficit at the top (fed reserve; also a privately owned bank / company for profit) and pretend like everything is cool. Meanwhile we are in a period of hyperinflation that is being kept quiet from the masses, less they know that their paper money is losing value every second of every day for the past almost 3 years.

This is ultimately what turned me onto gold. I realize that this house of cards is coming down in my lifetime, soon. It would be wise to stock pile a currency that will actually hold value globally.
Problem is, gold is not used as currency in the US, and has lost about 30% of it's value in the last 3 years.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said "guns n granola"! Funny.
I can see silver doubling in price, never gold.
And gold still costs sooo much. Even at a 3yr, 30% loss.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread