To Crawl, Or Not To Crawl

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its great to hear from you guys, I will keep posting on this thread as my finds continue. Tomorrow I will be getting some better kneepads and hopefully some disposable painters suits. Anybody with experience hunting under buildings drop me some tips. I have read up on using your hand instead of a rod, I was thinking that since there is close to 3 feet clearance i might try with it shortened all the way up? Or is this gonna be tireing to try and keep enough angle?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You got a good thing going. Regarding the skunk, if there is one, there is probably more. I had a skunk under the garage, and decided I needed to get rid of it due to occasonial
odors. I blocked all entrances but one, and set a live trap there. Ended up catching 22 skunks from under the building, so be careful.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I just had a vision of being attacked by 22 skunks at once, I had no idea they would pack in that tightly. I have trapped many animals from many places, I went to set a snare (death) around the entrance and noticed not only skunk tracks but fresh fox prints. Its not against the law but I do not personally take fox as they are not a problem. I kill all coyotes on site.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the warning I only have a 10 round clip

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I'd try and screen the top layer, perhaps two inches, using a wheelbarrow, and sift outside, then after it's pretty much cleaned up I'd go ahead and detect for anything that might be deeper. You are under a dance hall, think drunk boys and girls, and where a couple might go seeking privacy. Coins get spilled out of pockets in situations like that.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a few more pictures of the hall for all who are interested. If anyone can tell me how old they would estimate the current dance floor to be I would appreciate that. Also upon further research I have found that the building was built in 1901, not 1906 as I had previously stated. Also the fraternal club goes back much farther, and they had once had a smaller lodge in this area before building the hall as seen today. This excites me quite a bit as prospect of untrashed/untrampled ground from nearby the old building could bring fantastic finds! BTW IF MY UNCLE CATCHES YOU SNOOPING AROUND YOU WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT!! just kidding but he flew bombers in Vietnam and can be very unpredictable. He is also a tax lawyer so I'm not sure why he had misspelled words on his warning sings...

IMG_0511.JPG

Here is the bar area

IMG_0510.JPG

And here is the dancefloor

IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I will have to look into some sifting threads, the area where the swept the dancfloor dust and junk(younameit) through the little door has me very interested. Alcohol was always the main event at this location, and it really shows. They would often clean the hall after the party late in the night after many drinks and much dancing, and I cannot help but think they may have swept many interesting things right into this little cave!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I can only imagine what went on there before this building in 1901. And the things that have happened since. Congrats on a wonderful adventure.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone with a link to a good sifting thread feel free to chime in.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone with a link to a good sifting thread feel free to chime in.

Don't have your link request.... but building a simple sifter isn't rocket science I believe. I suggest building a small one like maybe 18" - 24" square. Maybe use 2" x 4" stock and attach a 1/4" screen on bottom. Then attach 4 legs on each corner so the sifter is 6" off the ground. Then load the dry soil with small hand shovel tool and gently shake the sifter. I bet a good pinpointer would work great in that environment also. Also... maybe start in the furthest corner and grid your way back out toward entry door. This would help "clean" up a lot of trash and then MD over a sifted area. Wish I was closer I'd love to help!!!!!

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks brad, i would gladly take the help! I have a propointer but due to the large amount of nails and bottlecaps its an endless chase. I have some box screens, i think the old farmers used them for removing straw from the grain. They look exactly like the screen you describe.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you take a good respirator when you go to sifting that soil, remember it hasn't seen any moisture in the last 114 years.
Best of Luck and be safe.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The use of a magnet may help remove some nails and bottle caps before sifting.
Use a respirator, you never know what you I'll be stirring up in the dust.

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the warnings guys I did a little test sift this afternoon, I wear a 3M mask I have for inside bins. Its like a diy one from the hardware store. Do you think this is sufficient? I know it keeps the dust out since around my face stays clean, but this mask would not protect you from vapors.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The use of a magnet may help remove some nails and bottle caps before sifting.
Use a respirator, you never know what you I'll be stirring up in the dust.

Keep us posted!

GREAT IDEA using the magnet. Get a STRONG one and eliminate 90% of the B.S. Depending upon what you eat the night before the respirator might be a good idea... just saying. Brad

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Ok here is my two cents, one, wear a mask, getting any of that into your lungs can do unwanted damage. Second, how about a shop vac with the filter removed, only the plastic cage to contain the coinage and trash, dust will be blown out. You'll probably need a long hose.

OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey good idea with the shop vac, that will be very dusty by the exhaust but that just might be the ticket.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Zrod, thanks for the fine story and pictorial. I absolutely think that you have a great place to hunt there. I also agree on the sifting. As far as a mask is concerned, my advice is to not go cheap. How much is your life worth? Any rodent turds are susceptible to Hanta virus, so keep yourself protected. Any decent organic-vapor half-face will screen out the dust and the cooties as well. And you don't have to break the bank. 3M 5301 Half-Face Respirator - Large H-3385 - Uline

I would go archeological-style on it. Start at one end of the crawlspace floor, and start trenching 6" deep. Pull out a 12"x12" section of dirt. Sift it. Recover any goodies. Backfill as necessary. Move at a slow but thorough pace. Get decent kneepads, and perhaps elbow pads if needed. Coveralls are a gear item. No fussing around with heavy gear and gadgets, and it won't kill your stamina. Bring a fan and a portable radio. Relax. Hydrate. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zrod87

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips and the link higgy, I have been researching the best type of respirator for the job. I wear coveralls every day for work and wear an old set into this place every time. There are 3 total doors and when all open the prevalent ND wind helps to air it out. I have been working out the best way to go about the dig the most carefull way.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool, Zrod87. I always thought if I wanted to visit Canada, I would just go to nodak. (just kidding) Buddy of mine at work is from there originally. Unfortunately he has no interest in treasure or arrowhead hunting. However, he does claim to be an accomplished accordion player, but try as I might he won't bring it to work. That would be cool. Keep after it, and good hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread