To Crawl, Or Not To Crawl - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: To Crawl, Or Not To Crawl

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thank you so much coinman for uprighting my pics!
    RustyGold and coinman123 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox / XP Deus
    10572 times
    Excellent story and pictures! Get back there and dig up everything you can!
    Thanks for sharing!

You just have to make sure your skin is thicker than your coat.

us
    whammy

Oct 2012
    Conquest New York
    Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
    387 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would be under that place in a heartbeat. Some old bottles and cans are of value to collectors. Take your time and go over and over it. No telling what is waiting for you to find under there. Good luck and happy hunting.

Jan 2015
    San Jose, CA
    E-Trac
    471 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great story . . . the stuff of legends! Often the research and hunt is far more priceless than the stuff we find.
    Marc
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
    Detecting since Jan. 2015
    59 Wheats, 8 Rosies, 6 Mercs, 4 Barbers, 2 SLQs, 4 Washingtons, 2 Franklins, 2 Liberty Vs, 1 Seated

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    23549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrod87 View Post
    Msbeepbeep, I have always had to laugh when I read that name, sometimes I catch myself making detector noises!
    This place is a great find, although i prefer to detect outside its always fun to actually find things! They used to store the booze in here and come throigh these little doors to get both the whisky and the water, as it has never had running water.Attachment 1134784

That's exactly what the name represents the solid sweet double beep of a good signal! If it makes ya smile all the better! I was going to put MA instead of Ms, but just how many TNet'ers would be calling me "ma"!
    Neat place to search under there, never know just what you will find! First silver coins is a nice start to the search!

I have turn my I Pad sideways to take pics if I don't they post sideways on here.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Its great to hear from you guys, I will keep posting on this thread as my finds continue. Tomorrow I will be getting some better kneepads and hopefully some disposable painters suits. Anybody with experience hunting under buildings drop me some tips. I have read up on using your hand instead of a rod, I was thinking that since there is close to 3 feet clearance i might try with it shortened all the way up? Or is this gonna be tireing to try and keep enough angle?

us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    8433 times
    You got a good thing going. Regarding the skunk, if there is one, there is probably more. I had a skunk under the garage, and decided I needed to get rid of it due to occasonial
    odors. I blocked all entrances but one, and set a live trap there. Ended up catching 22 skunks from under the building, so be careful.
    Zrod87 likes this.
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow I just had a vision of being attacked by 22 skunks at once, I had no idea they would pack in that tightly. I have trapped many animals from many places, I went to set a snare (death) around the entrance and noticed not only skunk tracks but fresh fox prints. Its not against the law but I do not personally take fox as they are not a problem. I kill all coyotes on site.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    thanks for the warning I only have a 10 round clip

us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    8433 times
    Personally I'd try and screen the top layer, perhaps two inches, using a wheelbarrow, and sift outside, then after it's pretty much cleaned up I'd go ahead and detect for anything that might be deeper. You are under a dance hall, think drunk boys and girls, and where a couple might go seeking privacy. Coins get spilled out of pockets in situations like that.
    bigfoot1 likes this.
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a few more pictures of the hall for all who are interested. If anyone can tell me how old they would estimate the current dance floor to be I would appreciate that. Also upon further research I have found that the building was built in 1901, not 1906 as I had previously stated. Also the fraternal club goes back much farther, and they had once had a smaller lodge in this area before building the hall as seen today. This excites me quite a bit as prospect of untrashed/untrampled ground from nearby the old building could bring fantastic finds! BTW IF MY UNCLE CATCHES YOU SNOOPING AROUND YOU WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT!! just kidding but he flew bombers in Vietnam and can be very unpredictable. He is also a tax lawyer so I'm not sure why he had misspelled words on his warning sings...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0511.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	1135091

Here is the bar area

Name:	IMG_0510.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	1135092

And here is the dancefloor

Name:	IMG_0506.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	1135095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0507.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	1135096

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think I will have to look into some sifting threads, the area where the swept the dancfloor dust and junk(younameit) through the little door has me very interested. Alcohol was always the main event at this location, and it really shows. They would often clean the hall after the party late in the night after many drinks and much dancing, and I cannot help but think they may have swept many interesting things right into this little cave!

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    6542 times
    And I can only imagine what went on there before this building in 1901. And the things that have happened since. Congrats on a wonderful adventure.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Mar 2015
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    Anyone with a link to a good sifting thread feel free to chime in.

us
    Brad - Wolfpack Proud

Jun 2013
    Middle TN. area
    White XLT Spectrum E-Series
    6310 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrod87 View Post
    Anyone with a link to a good sifting thread feel free to chime in.
    Don't have your link request.... but building a simple sifter isn't rocket science I believe. I suggest building a small one like maybe 18" - 24" square. Maybe use 2" x 4" stock and attach a 1/4" screen on bottom. Then attach 4 legs on each corner so the sifter is 6" off the ground. Then load the dry soil with small hand shovel tool and gently shake the sifter. I bet a good pinpointer would work great in that environment also. Also... maybe start in the furthest corner and grid your way back out toward entry door. This would help "clean" up a lot of trash and then MD over a sifted area. Wish I was closer I'd love to help!!!!!
    I am a true blue Patriot who believes in the original Constitution's meaning. I'll bleed blood to defend it and resist those who want to diminish or alter its meaning or those rights stated within the Constitution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links