Injured Metal Detecting

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
28 years ago I hurt my knee playing basketball. 3 surgeries later I was good as new. Yesterday I was detecting on a very steep sledding hill (found a 18k ring, 1916 s mercury dime, 1948 roosevelt, no date buffalo, 4 wheats and about 5 dollars in clad) with no problems. After a 20 minute ride home my knee will hardly bend and its over 2 inches larger than the other knee. Rather frustrating because I did not twist it, fall or do anything to damage it. I think the strain or pressure from going up and down the hill aggravated it. Anyone else have problems detecting hills.

OP
OP
I

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elbow or tendon?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Ironically, I was going to throw up a post regarding foot injuries after detecting this past weekend. Twice now I have injured the big toe on my left foot, tendon I guess, hurts pretty bad. I finally started paying attention on how I get up and down. I am putting a lot of stress on that toe when I move up. I've been asking it to lift 165 pounds, 100 times or more in an outing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
28 years ago I hurt my knee playing basketball. 3 surgeries later I was good as new. Yesterday I was detecting on a very steep sledding hill (found a 18k ring, 1916 s mercury dime, 1948 roosevelt, no date buffalo, 4 wheats and about 5 dollars in clad) with no problems. After a 20 minute ride home my knee will hardly bend and its over 2 inches larger than the other knee. Rather frustrating because I did not twist it, fall or do anything to damage it. I think the strain or pressure from going up and down the hill aggravated it. Anyone else have problems detecting hills.

using muscles in ways your not used to.
I'm not sure what the best remedy is.
I usually tuff it out & try to get back at it as soon as possible.

I get back aches detecting hills

OP
OP
I

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Now that I am retired and our snow and frost have left, old age is letting me know who is in charge. Good luck detecting everyone and may 2015 be your best year.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That sounds like a torn meniscus. You might need to get that checked out.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't kneel to retrieve targets any more I have to bend to do it, knees and ankle refuse to cooperate!
So ya things start hurting, I take Alieve before I head out to detect, then I have to take sit down breaks every so often.
But go detecting I will!
I got out there one time and over did it and then wondered as I limped back to the truck if I was going to be able to drive home! :laughing7:

Aging is not for the meek!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Gotta get me one of these.....

Attachments

• Mule.jpg
    Mule.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 90

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, well speaking for myself I seem to have new aches and pains every time I go out. After a terrible winter, I went out three days in a row. My right foot was so sore I could not walk on it. and I seem to have done something to my left shoulder. The foot is almost normal, the shoulder not! But, I take an advil before bed and have made out o.k.. when you use muscles that have not been used for a few months your old body tells you about it. If I want to the Dr. every time something hurt I would just have to live there. Yes, getting old is not for Sissys!!!!!!!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my right knee " scoped" in '96 due to constant swelling/pain. It's worked. Unless I hike many miles. A wrap then works well.
Hills definitely use unused muscles as Jeff of pa states.
Golf shoes and gel heel inserts help me.
Good luck.
Peace ✌

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would check into knee brace and orthotics for your shoes.Might just make those mountains into molehills again.:occasion14:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Get yourself a pair of these boots.

Granted, you can only walk one way on the side of the hill, but it will keep you level while detecting.

Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 8.50.10 PM.png

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a lot of knee problems from when I would go detecting and it would take a few days to get back to normal. A friend recommended that I switch from margarine to real butter in my diet and presto, no more joint problems. So, now with the extra cholesterol in my diet I guess I can look forward to a widow making heart attack. At least I'll go quick, and my knees won't be hurting. Cheers!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread