Replacing Foam Detector Grips

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Quote from: Montana Jim on Today at 06:48:16 AM
Quote from: TreasureTales on Today at 05:50:15 AM
The foam grip is getting a bit frayed, so I'll have to determine how to replace it one day - but I'm thinking pipe insulation will work as an adequate replacement.

I tried that and was not happy....

I'm starting to have the same problem with one of mine. Was thinking something like this might work.

http://www.gripworks.com/grip-wrap.htm

Montana Jim said:
stoney56 said:
Think I'll check with Lowe's tonight and see what they have.

Looks like good idea... let us know if you try it!
TreasureTales said:
Hey stoney, thanks for the link - I bookmarked it. Please let us know how the stuff works, if you find it. It also looks like it might work as a replacement gasket around the door to my travel trailer. I love multipurpose stuff!

OK. I got back a while ago and although they didn't have the exact stuff above, they had something very close, the store here had a different brand than their website.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=4868-2249-470-042-03&pad=true

It is by Frost King and is called "Rubber Pipe Insulation Tape" and is self-adhesive.
It is 2" wide X 1/8" thick and is a 30' roll and costs $7.83 + tax

I took the old foam off and cut off a piece of insulation about 30" long figuring that 1/8" isn't very thick and proceeded to overlap about 3/4" or so per lap. When done, I realized that it was WAY too thick. So I started over. BTW, this adhesive is very good. LOL
I found that about 16" of it overlaping 1" was just about right. I think the key too is using rubber insulation rather than foam which tends to crumble from constant use.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Is it close at all to what you might wrap a golf club with? I would think a spongy/rubber rather than foamy/pipe insulation would be best.

T

TreasureTales

Thanks for the info and practical application ideas. I'm going to get some of that stuff because I can imagine all kinds of uses for it. Not only good for replacing the grip on my detector and for replacing the seal around my travel trailer door, but also for the handle on my digging tool and on my potato (dump digging) rake. [I bet the same roll here will cost over $9.00!]

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Montana Jim said:
Is it close at all to what you might wrap a golf club with? I would think a spongy/rubber rather than foamy/pipe insulation would be best.

It is similar. It has kind of an open air texture to the middle but not like those cylindrical "C" shaped foam pipe wraps. It feels very similar to the tubular rubber they put on some garden tools like rakes and pushbrooms. I'll try and show you a little piece of it.

Attachments

• S3010469.jpg
    S3010469.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 320
  • S3010472.jpg
    S3010472.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 339

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Have you checked with the manufacturer? They may offer a replacement that will be better than other stuff and possibly cheaper.

Daryl

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody I knew used the wrapping for a tennis racket that they got at a sporting goods store and was happy with the result.

OP
OP
stoney56

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
BioProfessor said:
Have you checked with the manufacturer? They may offer a replacement that will be better than other stuff and possibly cheaper.

Daryl

The original grip lasted for a bit over 4 years however after putting this on, I like it better as far as giving the grip a little extra palm swell for comfort and control. The original wanted to slip a bit during the direction change.
For what I got, I figure at 4 years per change it should last about 23 years. LOL Or like TT said, using it for home repairs. (Maybe I can write off the purchase as home improvement, ;) )

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Thanks for the tips. Just in time as one of mine is shot

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Write to the Manufacturer and tell them what a good machine they make except for that darn foam grip material and ask about a replacement. I'd bet there is a better than even chance they would send you one free. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions