Who really cleans up ALL the trash they find metal detecting?

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. I take trash out and drop it into the trashcan at my home. But, I have been known to toss it against the fence line. (I hunt in fields most of the time) Sometimes there's just too much trash to carry out.

toadspaghetti

Dec 19, 2014
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've put a few handfulls of bottle caps next to a tree and whipped a can or two into the ruhbarb, but most of the time if I dig it I take it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it when I come back and Im not finding the same trash over and over again. I also can turn up the heat once the trash is gone. If I have the opportunity I clean in layers. Now I can always tell when someone has been working a tot lot. The caps and foil are always left on top of the ground. They still walk over a good amount of keepers. But only hit the tot lots once in a weeks time. I lately have been crawling up under play equipment and finding all sorts of keepers with my new TRX pin pointer. Found my first gold ring this year already. Now a friend of mine has cleaned out a old park and finding some nice finds. So cleaning the areas you detect is important. I feel your guys pain, walked into a old ww1 army camp, talk about trash. In those cases I pile the junk in piles, go get my 5 gallon bucket and cart it out. I never go far from my truck.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bring it all to the truck ............ put it in a big tub in the back of the truck and sell it occasionally .... the pull tabs I save and give to my grandson ,who's school saves them, and turns them in for free chemo treatment at Arkansas Children's Hospital for some child .........

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to carry out all the trash I dig, especially if I'm huntin parks, playgrounds, or beaches. But then again, I don't ALWAYS dig every target, so who knows how much I'm leavin in the ground.

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I recycle most all thrash we can. At years end we take it in, 2014 we got 68.00 in iron, aluminum, brass and copper.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I dig it I own it and it's going with me. At the end of a hunt I have passed up signals that sound like trash because I'm too tired to dig them or my back is killing me.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
If the hedgerows around some of the sites I hunt at could speak, they would say OUCH!

Large hunks of iron are usually hucked in there and there they shall remain

Just about everything else comes home; I've done alright at the recyclers over the years with brass, copper, and lead, the rest goes to the curb

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think on a couple occasions when I thought I had something real good and it ended up being junk I whipped it out of of disappointment to where it would never be seen again. Sorry if that upsets anyone! [emoji32][emoji12]
I do always try to get any plastics,styrofoam,empty oil/aerosol cans etc. I spot along the way. That stuff is nasty out there. I find it cleaner around now than years ago but there is a lot of old stuff around. Once in the bushes near my house I found multiple really old car battery's sinking in the ground they've been there that long. Glad I got them properly disposed of! [emoji2]

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
longcut is that really true that someplace provides free chemo treatment in exchange for pull tabs? I heard a lot of stories about that, and cool if it is.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry all out. Why dig it twice? Why leave it and let mower make each piece into 20?

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always take it all out, even trash lying on the surface, if I can stuff it in my pouch, I will.

It has helped numerous times, when I have been on public land, and it's a little grey whether I am allowed to hunt there.

When a Ranger, or grounds keeper rolls up on you, and demands to know what you are doing, they soften up when you show them a pouch full of trash, and say something like, " Just cleaning up the beach".

One Ranger that was off duty on a Sunday, opened up their headquarters and wrote out a permission slip for me.

If nothing else, it helps our image.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always take it all out, even trash lying on the surface, if I can stuff it in my pouch, I will.

It has helped numerous times, when I have been on public land, and it's a little grey whether I am allowed to hunt there.

When a Ranger, or grounds keeper rolls up on you, and demands to know what you are doing, they soften up when you show them a pouch full of trash, and say something like, " Just cleaning up the beach".

One Ranger that was off duty on a Sunday, opened up their headquarters and wrote out a permission slip for me.

I wish everyone that hunted sites around where I live had this attitude. . . (and filled their holes)

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought of another little story.

I obtained a free permission slip to hunt the beach at a state park in PA, when I got to the small beach, there was 40 to 50 holes dug, not filled in, and with the trash that was found on top of each sand pile, like 50 little monuments to stupidity.

I was mortified. First of all, WHAT A LAZY SOB it was that messed up this beach, and second, since I had the permit, guess who could be blamed for it.

So instead of a relaxing morning MD'ng, I gathered up the moron's trash, and filled in his holes.

I would have loved to catch him in the act, of course it might be best I didn't, throwing someone's machine into a lake could probably get me in trouble.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN .............. Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock has some kinda program with the schools ........... All I can tell you for certain is , my grandson reminds us every visit up that way to "don't forget the pulltabs, Grumps""" ........ We've been doing it for 4 or 5 yrs .......

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep anything that I can easily carry. I'm sorry though, I WILL keep pulltabs and other small trash but I usually just toss all the crushed cans I find as far as I can.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought of another little story.

I obtained a free permission slip to hunt the beach at a state park in PA, when I got to the small beach, there was 40 to 50 holes dug, not filled in, and with the trash that was found on top of each sand pile, like 50 little monuments to stupidity.

I was mortified. First of all, WHAT A LAZY SOB it was that messed up this beach, and second, since I had the permit, guess who could be blamed for it.

So instead of a relaxing morning MD'ng, I gathered up the moron's trash, and filled in his holes.

I would have loved to catch him in the act, of course it might be best I didn't, throwing someone's machine into a lake could probably get me in trouble.

If you find them, just shove them in the hole they dug and didn't fill, I'm not telling!

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good idea for the next thread "Who really fills ALL the holes they dig metal detecting?" Haha

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other

For sure Maven!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread