Tiger shark and cz-21..could this be right?

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been doing my research for months on a machine for fresh water and have learned alot from treasurenet and basically decided I should get a tesoro tiger shark based on Sandman's comments and others. This week I saw a video on youtube from Russia (i think) and a guy was doing an air test with a tiger shark with different size silver and gold coins and the large silver coins (american silver dollar size or so) were hitting at a max depth of about ten inches with the smaller items coming in at less. A different vid was a guy doing a depth test in wet fresh water sand with a "medium" size mans ring with a CZ-21 and it maxed out at 12.5 inches for the ring. THis seems like a gigantic difference to me. I know the cz-21 cost twice the money but now i am thinking I need to rethink my decision before i purchase. Could this wide disparity be explained by the wet sand vs air ? Do these two vids seem inline with what you guys have experienced in the field? I have never done fresh water hunting so I know I may be missing something here. Thanks for your input.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I am a bit confused. Did these videos test the same targets with both machines? Without doing that you aren't really testing one machine against the other. And, as far as I am concerned, air tests don't mean much.

One thing to keep in mind in comparing the two machines is that the Tiger Shark has a lifetime warranty. I have owned mine eight years and have sent it back a couple of times for tune ups, headphone repairs etc., and it doesn't cost me anything.

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned/hunted with both machines, getting equal success with both. With my bum shoulder, I found the Tesoro easier to manage on long hunts.
Consider which machine handles best for YOU.
Good luck, & mind your footing. Stepping into a deep hole once ruined the thrill of recovering a silver ring!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't compare apples and oranges. CZ-20/21 has two frequencies where the TS has one. CZ is always in saltwater mode which is like some disc. plus you can hunt in Autotune or All metal just like the Tiger Shark. Also the gold ring is alloyed with different metals, hence 10 Kt., 14 Kt. which affects the depth it can be reported. Tiger Shark can report on thin gold chains while the CZ you'd be lucky to hear anything while rubbing the coil on it.

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well thanks for your input guys. I figure I was doing an apples and oranges type comparison but those seemed like some pretty big apples. My thought was that if the CZ 21 can find a ring deeper than a tiger shark can find a silver dollar that I have to decide do I want the added depth and sacrifice some smaller gold or focus on targets that are closer to the surface. I have been unable to find a video of a direct depth comparison between the two.billyjoe if youhunt with both machines and you never noticed a big difference in depth in fresh water then maybe the air vs water nature of the comparison was misleading me. Heck I just don't know. The purchase price is kind of a big deal for me at this time so I guess I will go for the tigershark and hope to find enough stuff to get a cz21, I am not far from a salt water beach but I really want to do fresh water hunting this summer, but the cz will be a must if I decide to try the saltwater areas (from what I have read on treasurenet). One ring paid for my whites 5900 so maybe I will get lucky again.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about the AT pro...it doesn't have A lifetime warranty but its much lighter, easier to change batteries, can change coils, has a screen and its great on small gold...its a killer freshwater machine.

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks lookingdown, yeah I looked at them but they are only waterproof to 10 ft . I don't plan on being that deep but it kinda scared me off, plus Sandman posted a while back that he has one and it stays on his wall so I scratched it off my list.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use my AT Pro in the river now, where it seems to be quite at home. I also hate the fact that its only good for 10 feet. I bought it last year for primarily water hunting, but this year I want to go diving for treasure, and I feel timid about taking the ATP any deeper than 10ft. So I am with you, KV - torn between the Tiger and the CZ.

Thing is, I have to be real with myself. I will rarely dive in the salt. That's the fact. Most of my hunting will be freshwater swimming areas and the rivers, so the Tiger will save me some cash.

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for all your input guys, I have been researching this for a long time and have learned a lot from treasurenet. Today I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Tesoro Tiger Shark. Odd thing happened though. I emailed a merchant on ebay and said I need a tiger shark with the 10.5 coil and a cover and one of those Garrett carrots. I never got a response. So I went to the Tesoro website and turns they have a vender nearby I never heard of so I called the number and left a message on the tiger I want and didn't hear back. Finally, being the impatient man child that I am I decided I would just buy an Excalibur from a dealer nearby that tattoos Craigslist with adds. Woman on the phone told me they were busy and would call me back in 30 min,,,,nothing. I am not going to stalk a retailer and beg them to sell me something /finally 3 or four hours latter I went to metaldetector.com and typed in my visa info and had them ship me one. I wanted to buy from a "little" guy but finally bought from the 4th retailer just because they were set up to take my money. the two local guys don't even have a website, that blows my mind. of course I am an impatient manchild.

Mels05toy

Nov 1, 2012
Fredericktown
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20 Quick Silver 10" Spider coil, and also a Garrett AT Pro, with NEL Storm
and also a AT Gold. MineLab Equinox 800
And my newest addition: 2 sided 400 KG underwater salvage recovery magne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King vegan how's that tiger shark

Mels05toy

Nov 1, 2012
Fredericktown
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20 Quick Silver 10" Spider coil, and also a Garrett AT Pro, with NEL Storm
and also a AT Gold. MineLab Equinox 800
And my newest addition: 2 sided 400 KG underwater salvage recovery magne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haves CZ20 , at AT pro and a gold

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
believe me Mtoy I will let you know. I has not arrived yet.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought a few of my detectors and accessories from MetalDetector.com and have been very satisfied with them. You will love your Tiger Shark.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember iron, nails, fish hooks etc stays in fresh water for decades and PI detectors love iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread