Garrett vs. Whites

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting a parkway in Denver when a fellow detectorist walked up and we struck up a conversation. He mentioned that he and a friend had scoured the area but that there may still be good targets. He mentioned that most of the good finds were from 5 to 8" deep. I told him that I have only been able to find targets up to 6" with the AT Pro and that Garrett had actually said that with ground balancing showing high mineralization at 94 I would lose depth. The gentleman then told me that he has used both, but that he has found that Whites gets better depth with higher mineralization than Garrett. Can anyone substantiate this?

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could answer about mineralization, but here in central N.Y. the soil is sweet. I have a Whites Vision, and I can pull targets at 8 - 10 inches with there factory programs without using my programs.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
whites makes their machines to handle high mineralization here in the west.they do well as do the fishers.If you go pro zero with no more than 10iron descrim.turn down sens to 1 bar below max.slow way down you can get much deeper than 6" in mineralised soil.The 5x8 dd also helps and may actually increase depth because of lower gb settings.

After auto gb do a manual and decrease the number untill it is too chatty the increas to minimum usable setting.all this is fast and easy and really helps.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I may catch some grief by saying this. But, Ford Dodge or Chevy, take your pick its almost all the same. If the ground is that hot as you describe, no unit is going to deal with this easily outside say a two box machine or something along those lines. I will be the first to say some units have faster recovery speeds, some hit harder on different target types and some are just very ergonomically comfortable to use. But performance is where you find it. I have a friend who has trouble using the T2 or F75 but he can run a G2 like you can't believe. I have trouble running a G2 and the AT Gold, but I love my F70 and my AT Pro. ( I live in an area loaded with alkali and salt, the AT Gold is not designed for salt) bigfoot has given some good advice, look at your settings and don't be afraid to experiment. White's makes a quality machine, but so does Garrett. Any of the major brands top end machines are very capable and comparable as long as you are not comparing, say a unit designed for gold prospecting to a unit designed for general use. work them settings and Good Luck!!

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ford or Chevy; the best driver wins the race.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
I have had experience with water detectors, vlf gold detectors and park/coin detectors from both those manufacturers, garrett is dreadfull. Whites is alright or good for the most part. They are a decent detector manufactuter.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The detector is only as good as the one who learns it best regardless of the brand name. I don't need hype:sleepy4:, I want results!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread