Im being persecuted for my hobby I love

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I'm being persecuted for my hobby I love

Hello Tnet
I know most of you do not care however in the event of day to day contact with my peers in regular life it has gotten harder and harder to continue my YouTube channel. People have been harsh and very just plain out mean about it so I could use guidance from you guys because I'm sure there is a obstacle somewhere in your hobby. So currently it has gotten to the point where I have made all of my videos link only so only you guys that enjoy the hobby just as much as I do can see it. Just my thoughts I could really use guidance from you guys talk to you all soon!
Singed Confused and Woried,
Jolteon

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mean... how? As long as your hunting permissions and public lands and are not doing anything against the law, you must forgive them for their ignorance. You are enjoying a legal hobby, We could all be doing worse things right?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you care what they say or think? I wouldn't care....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Only ideas from someone else J..
You have to make your own choices and decisions in life. Looking back, in time, you'll recognize some of your major turning points and how you made them..if you don't make them who else will?
Peers can tease and dog you for sure. Heck strangers can too, but peers can be the worst. Some of them may stay that way for life but that's not on you.
Down the road you'll be free of that unless you fish it out of people not worth your time. Yep, just different names of juvenile adults.
If you only post vids here a while till you figure out another angle; so be it.
Something though ,your hobby is not for every body. Being different and attracting attention a nearly predictable result... Not just for you, for others as well!
Too, your hobby is one of sometimes keeping a lot of what you are up to on the downlow around others to not attract attention for other reasons.
We would have you be J.. of course but perhaps down the road you might develop an alias or Nom de guerre for your vids. Your voice can be a tell, or a previous site but you could figure something out.
If you feel persecuted and don't want a constant fight over your topics, slide around feeding fuel to critics by acting disinterested in pursuing former activities as openly.
Know that dogs don't chase parked cars and naughty folks don't break unlit bulbs as much as lit ones.Be proud of your work as it improves but humble enough to know who it is for and that there will be critics.
In time you and your critics,peers anyway, will be out in a bigger world. Your vids will mean little to them but their attitudes will be everything in their success or lack of it.
People skills and how you respond to others strengths and weaknesses can be an asset or liability.
For now, let the criticism roll off like water off a ducks back. Stick to short and long term plans. Under the radar if others are jerks. Some one always will be. Different names and ages is all. Slide around if other options are not proper or timely. Just account for you and keep your nose clean and family out of the local news. L.O.L..
Don't go too far the other way and shut yourself off from them or society,you can still enjoy your hobby. Sharing it with the wrong audience will not produce the desired results is all. Not just for you again, but for all.
There is only one person you need to please, (with family and laws and common society politeness and involvement considered retained of course). That person is you.

Only my ideas,yours may well vary and that's fine..
You get down, or bored you can reread this post and try to figure any of it out....8-) Keep you busy a while.

Last edited:

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't' have a thick skin give in. Hopeflly you won't!

Alkanira

Apr 14, 2015
The Great Cold North
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 (Broke the coil, waiting new :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont mind those close minded fools on YT. They gonna complain no matter what. Learn that, never ever in the history of internet, has anything anybody has said on blogs or YT mattered! :)

Trolls gonna Troll, Haters Gonna hate, no matter what:dontknow:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to have thick skin in life, especially when it comes to dealing with thousands of yahoo's watching your YouTube channel. I searched for it and cannot find it. Would you share a link to it?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember back over 30 years ago one of my oldest friends joined my wife and I for a weekend at a scout camp. He kept ragging me about detecting, snide comments, etc.

I was swinging and he was tagging along being snide, and I popped an Indian Head out of the ground. He asked me if my wife was using her's, and if he could borrow it...

They know not what they say....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not much more I can add.

if you enjoy what you do, & in "your Mind" you are not hurting anyone.

Rock on :thumbsup:

life is too short to worry what others think of you

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
No it's not on YouTube some of my peers found my channel and spread it like wildfire you guys are right maybe I just need thicker skin and just ignore it

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I have always been like that in a way I always and even now care what other people think I'm a metal detector, coin collector, and bottle digger and I'm proud of it thank you guys for helping me realizing that! I really appreciate it thanks signed
Jolt

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
over the years 93,725 have signed up here to be members.
the majority are treasure hunters in one form or another.
you are not alone in your hobbies

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like what I do, I enjoy the finds as well as the hunt. If I don't go get it, Who will? Keep your detector beeping and your shovel in the ground, Ignore ignorance.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No it's not on YouTube some of my peers found my channel and spread it like wildfire you guys are right maybe I just need thicker skin and just ignore it

I can sort of understand what happens here, your peers have an image to maintain and digging in dirt isn't it? Maybe I've read it wrong but seriously if it's the case are they really your peers, or just jealous, or overly judgemental folks that friendship is onion skin thick. In my circle of folks that I know, nobody digs dirt, but they also know it's my passion and don't snide me over it.
Just say the heck with them stay true to yourself and the the ones that understand you and really what turns your crank.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm being persecuted for my hobby I love

What some of you don't realize is joelton is a teenager
Teenagers can be harsh. And you need to ignore them.
Look at it this way. You have what maybe 2 more years of being around these people and then your whole world will change. They are just trying to be cool by putting you down. Looking back I wish I would have picked up a detector at your age. I would have had many many great hours spent digging instead of just hanging out in a parking lot somewhere
Good luck and stick with it

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jolteon.... I know your young (early teens?) but I agree with many others above.... if your not doing anything wrong and enjoy yourself then ignore the negative stuff. The "thicker skin" comment is true. Your having fun with this now and have done a good job. Many of us enjoyed your tread about the box under the old bed. Keep yourself busy with the details and like Jeff of PA said.... "rock on" buddy... Brad

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a tip: If you post videos you are competing with Hollywood, and wherever TV programs are produced - Hades?, and well funded, well educated, well equipped producers.

If you simply go dig, collect, participate you are competing only with yourself.

Is you hobby "treasure hunting", detecting, collecting? Or video production?

Great to come here and share. That's what this site is all about. But collecting compliments is a lot harder than you might realize as they, like treasures, are sometimes rare and far between.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your talking about YT, the very epicenter of rude behavior, nasty comments and overall stupidity. If I watch 100 random videos on YT regarding any subject, I can bet my life on it that the comments in 95 of them will just make you shake your head in sheer disgust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread