Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Dbandgb,
It is mainly because there were previous homesteads, or even towns on those sites that are now long gone. Research can get you in the right area and then it can take some work to pinpoint where the sweet spots are. It isn't just picking an open field and hitting it with a detector, most of the time there are many, many hours of research and planning prior to ever turning on a detector. Once you find where population once congregated, then there you go....
and there are no stupid questions bud.....

GoteRider

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Ga.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the fields I hunt had homes on them many years ago. There is lots of good stuff under the dirt.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DBANDGB, looking at maps from the 1800's, they often show where structures were and the lot acreage. Farms back then were smaller since you had to farm using horses (not tractors). Look around now, you will see fewer farms, and those farms are bigger. Logic dictates that (in my area) if newer farms are on average 3 to 4 times bigger than those of the 1800's. This tells you that their are old homesteads in many a field.

I use this map site, Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ? as well as google earth. The best map for my area is a the county map dated 1874.

I have hunted 1 of 4 old homestead sites I have located in my area (3 of which were a few hundred yards a part). You are correct in the farm implement parts and I usually find lead (old plumbing maybe?). Only found 1 coin, a 1964 penny after a total of 8 hours. It's peaceful, using the upgraded Fisher F75 LTD SE, I take a longer modified spade shovel since you will detect targets depending on the size, at 14" or deeper. Knowing where a house once stood, gives you a starting point, but you will have to search in the directions that the field is being plowed in. These sites, being plowed annually will have many relics, coins, and other items which can end up being over 100 yards away from where the house once stood. It's a lot different than coin shooting at parks and private property.

I consider myself newbie at field hunting, a part time one at best. It is a good change of pace once in a while.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread