Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dangerous Detecting. What's Your Story?

After seeing Moonlight's thread about the stone crab, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/459008-could-have-lost-finger.html, I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we all could talk about the precautions we take for dangerous and pesty-sorta stuff we have to go through while detecting. Obviously, having your toe cut off by a crab would really suck - giving you quite a different attitude about detecting. So I'm thinking - what do you folks have to beware of when you detect in your areas? I'll go first.

Here in New Hampshire, we got mosquitos and blackflies. Everyone knows skeeters, but not everyone knows about blackflies. Sometimes you get them both. Skeeters will light on you and start drilling operations. Blackflies land and crawl to a desired spot, making them hard to slap away. When you get them both, its a real pain in the coil. Sometimes we get skeeters, blackflies, AND deerflies. Might as well slather-up with DEET or go inside. I use lightweight, long-sleeve shirts, and long pants. I wear long socks and tuck my cuffs into my socks and spray the boots and socks. This is for the ticks primarily, but the blackflies will crawl up your leg and start chewin'.

In the slower rivers here, we got leeches. BIG ones. I live about a thousand feet up from the river I detect, and a couple years ago I saw a leech that was at least 6" long. If he'd have gotten ahold of me, he'd have sucked so hard it would have cavitated my skull. Leeches are vile, disgusting creatures and I definitely do not want them on me. Ever. So again, I wear long sleeves and leggings in the rivers now. I actually wear old lightweight thermal underwear. Works great!

I like to keep my Ruger Alaskan on me when I am hunting the edges of fields, and in the woods. Eastern Coyotes, Black Bears, and Mountain Lions are not to be taken lightly up this way.

I am sure there's more, but these are my main dangers for detecting in my AO. What do you folks have?

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thugs , but I try to avoid their natural habitat. But when I do I'm sure to have some Smith and Wesson on me to shoo them away. Great stuff they make lol

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperheads that like to bask in areas where you hunt. If you have your mind buried in your beeps you can walk right up on them.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only had one incident, not life threatening, but rather crappy.. I was detecting a yard that had a privacy fence on 1 side. The house was foreclosed on over a year ago. The neighbors on the other side of the fence decided to clean up the dog crap in their yard. Instead of scooping it up and bagging it like normal people they were simply throwing it over the fence, in the yard I was detecting. I thought it weird that dog crap was falling from the sky. I never got hit, but I had to watch where I swung and stepped. They did end up peaking over the fence and apologized as we chuckled over the incident.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only had one incident, not life threatening, but rather crappy.. I was detecting a yard that had a privacy fence on 1 side. The house was foreclosed on over a year ago. The neighbors on the other side of the fence decided to clean up the dog crap in their yard. Instead of scooping it up and bagging it like normal people they were simply throwing it over the fence, in the yard I was detecting. I thought it weird that dog crap was falling from the sky. I never got hit, but I had to watch where I swung and stepped. They did end up peaking over the fence and apologized as we chuckled over the incident.

Turdz. Yet another detecting obstacle. :laughing7:

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Around here it's ticks, ticks and ticks. Light color pants tucked into knee high rubber boots and plenty of clothing tick spray all over the lowers. I hate them guys.
Underwater, no problems at all, peaceful detecting.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it warms we also will have Mosquitos, flies, ticks, snakes, etc. then there are the large flocks of geese that leave poop on the ground and drop it from the sky as well (wet wipes come in handy).
Once in a while dogs not on a leash that are territorial in a public park.

Then there are.....people,
The biggest threat is flying lead from gang shootings. Hasn't happened to me yet but it's a very real possibility. That's why I like to hunt early Sunday mornings.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm happy to see a fellow NH Metal Detectorist, you are completely correct on everything you said. I have had 10 deer ticks just crawling on my jacket after metal detecting, I hate all of the annoying biting insects in the woods.

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I was detecting a home from the 1800's, as I was swinging along side the home I felt the ground begin to sag and a creaking of wood. After moving off of that spot I scraped away some of dirt and found I had been standing on a wooden cover over a well lined with brick. Turned out to be 75 feet deep. Changed my underwear, cleaned the brown stuff off my legs and left.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....and TREE HOLES that are hollow spaces that the base of a tree (used) to stand - they can be quite deep, and after your first, crotch-deep encounter, you'll be more cautious after that! I know....! :laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fire ants!!! Most of the time the mound is visible, other times, if you get on one knee to cut a plug, be careful! Several times as I am propointing, that hot, burning sensation sets in around my kneepad, I didn't even see them! A day or two later its fun to pop the white pustules, within a few weeks the scars begin to fade.

CanadaGold

Feb 16, 2015
Ontario
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my neck of the woods of southern Ontario it is ticks and Rosa multiflora wild rose bushes (white flower) that are everywhere.
The thorns or like razor wire and go right through your gloves. If you get stuck with one they
give off a toxin and the area on your skin will swell up big time, nasty bush !

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks. I should start seeing them in 2-3 weeks. Twice I have felt one crawling up the back of my neck which gives me the freakin' willies ! I near hit the ditch once trying to swat one off.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Copperheads, ticks and chiggers are horrible here. Get bite by a copperhead and your obviously going to have a bad day. But getting into a batch of chiggers is absolutely horrible also. You'll be miserable for a couple of weeks!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have late night hunted local beaches on more than a few occasions and been followed by several shady characters to the point I went in the water waist deep to get them off my trail, water hunting for 20 mins before they gave up and left. You don't want to be waist deep in Florida's waters at night either, "things that go bump in the night" can eat you...

I no longer worry about shady characters, I always go armed with .45 with hollow points when night hunting beaches now, in fact unless I'm hunting in the surf I'm always armed...

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been startled and or attacked by the following:
Mosquitos
Knats
Ticks
Black Flies
Leeches
Sunfish
Deer
Pheasants
Nosey Neighbors - but the worst by far, winning the most annoying award - goes to:
The Power tripping Park Rangers who don't understand their own laws.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got caught in a wicked lightening storm on the lake michigan shoreline. Had a strike so close , my screen blanked out on my XLT. I think I peed a little as I ran for cover.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh, no one mentioned BEES! Yellowjackets (aka Meat Bees) nest in the ground, often at bases of trees; and, Bald-faced Hornets, nest above ground in classic, big round-ish paper nest - they will chase you all across your State - very agressive!! There are other bees and wasps to mention, but not as common here.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I was thinking about the horrible winter a lot of us had. We could not wait for summer. We tend to forget the ticks, chiggers, and other miserable things that come with summer for most of us. I guess we just have to live with all these things. Never a perfect time . But, I still love it. Put on the spray and keep your eyes open. Happy hunting everyone!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow:

Unless you believe in Ghosts, poison snakes, or psycho killers :tongue3:
[point being, I don't believe in them, so they are not where I hunt]

I don't know :dontknow:

Worst experiences I can think of were hunting drained 2' / 3' thick lake Mud
almost the consistency of quick sand.

Untitled.jpg

but those days were also my Favorite,
once I learned how to pop my feet free without leaving my shoes behind :tongue3:

or maybe warm Ground & Hot feet
in Centralia :dontknow: no flames or cave in happened to me though

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread