Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garret Pro-pointer AT has increased depth over the standard Pro-pointer at maximum sensitivity. In my dirt, the TRX does go a little deeper. Any of these pinpointers will allow you to recover targets much faster, allowing you to dig more each day and hopefully find more gold and silver.

Wayne

Garrett Pro-Pointer ? Metal Detecting Stuff

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The Garret Pro-pointer AT has increased depth over the standard Pro-pointer at maximum sensitivity. In my dirt, the TRX does go a little deeper. Any of these pinpointers will allow you to recover targets much faster, allowing you to dig more each day and hopefully find more gold and silver.

Wayne

Garrett Pro-Pointer ? Metal Detecting Stuff

The Garret Pro-pointer AT has increased depth over the standard Pro-pointer at maximum sensitivity

There isn't proof of that, except for possiblly 1/4-1/2 inch, and those tests weren't done with a spanking brand new original GPP. People SAY they get much better range with the new one, but it's not been shown in videos. One video showing great depth was debunked.

I look for newly posted videos every other day and so far there hasn't been anything showing coin targets in airtests past 2 1/4 inches. I wish I could see solid, verifiable proof. I'd love to find a PPr with side detection getting 3 inches.

There should logically be many vids by now if the new GPP really hits greater depth.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garret Pro-pointer AT has increased depth over the standard Pro-pointer at maximum sensitivity

There isn't proof of that, except for possiblly 1/4-1/2 inch, and those tests weren't done with a spanking brand new original GPP. People SAY they get much better range with the new one, but it's not been shown in videos. One video showing great depth was debunked.

I look for newly posted videos every other day and so far there hasn't been anything showing coin targets in airtests past 2 1/4 inches. I wish I could see solid, verifiable proof. I'd love to find a PPr with side detection getting 3 inches.

There should logically be many vids by now if the new GPP really hits greater depth.

I'm curious as to why you want side detection.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me Garrett's side detection comes in handy when you have a bunch of dirt out of the hole and a small target in there somewhere.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The GARRETT PROPOINTER AT Works Great! 3 levels of sensitivity makes it easy to dial in on a target. As far as waterproof the NOKTA Pointer works very well also. It has 9 levels of sensitivity and is waterproof to 3ft.:skullflag:

Might seem like a silly question, but why does a person have to change the level of sensitivity in these pin pointers, as the two you just quoted on and the grey one Minelab threw out on the market place, why not just put it to the max all the time, seems too simple?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the soil type you're working in and interference. I have to run the minelab at 1-2 clicks off maximum or it falses continuously. I have a Garrett, DetectorPro (favorite) and a Minelab (least favorite).

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually run mine at the default middle setting. Sometimes I'll bump it up to 3rd level if when after I did a plug I still cant find the target. The 3rd level usually means I need to dig deeper. I never use the vibrate settings or level 1. Having a choice of sensitivity is really a great option though. Maybe as I get more skilled I'll only need to use level 2 with the fast detune feature.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
For me Garrett's side detection comes in handy when you have a bunch of dirt out of the hole and a small target in there somewhere.

That's a biggie,,,maybe the biggest. When in the hole, and there is a detection when using a PPr with side, it's way faster to slip the wand around for increasing tone, or better yet, tap the button to de-tune and creep into it. With the point only,,,you are taking tons more time.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a biggie,,,maybe the biggest. When in the hole, and there is a detection when using a PPr with side, it's way faster to slip the wand around for increasing tone, or better yet, tap the button to de-tune and creep into it. With the point only,,,you are taking tons more time.

I understand liking side detection but don't buy it being faster. I've used the Garretts with side detection and the minelab, but prefer the whites. With extra depth and being able to quickly detune you can find exactly where a target is with less chance of damaging a coin.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I understand liking side detection but don't buy it being faster. I've used the Garretts with side detection and the minelab, but prefer the whites. With extra depth and being able to quickly detune you can find exactly where a target is with less chance of damaging a coin.

I'll beatcha 2-1 in recovery speed once the target is in a pile of dirt outside the hole, using side, and in the hole as well, on average depths.

I like my TRX and always carry it in tandem, but it is a way slower pointer for my style. I'm not the type to over worry about scratching anything, hence I only use an 18" mini shovel unless in pristene lands or private property. Once the target is out of the hole, side detection pounces on it fast. The tip-only has it's purpose in depth pre-dig. Not much after that.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll beatcha 2-1 in recovery speed once the target is in a pile of dirt outside the hole, using side, and in the hole as well, on average depths.

I like my TRX and always carry it in tandem, but it is a way slower pointer for my style. I'm not the type to over worry about scratching anything, hence I only use an 18" mini shovel unless in pristene lands or private property. Once the target is out of the hole, side detection pounces on it fast. The tip-only has it's purpose in depth pre-dig. Not much after that.

I cut a u shaped plug and rarely have dirt out of the plug. I try my best too not scratch a coin as a try to hunt for old coins. It might be slower for your style but not mine. I might just be tainted to the Garretts because both I had went south and the whites has not even had a hiccup. As for the bet come on out to Montana and well find out. We'll find out who's faster and have a good time doing it.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you are looking for 3" to 4" depth the only thing I have seen is the Pistol Probe. I use it first then once the hole is open the Propointer comes out. The Pistol Probe uses 2 9v batteries and is pulse induction.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Retired my Pro-Pointer for the Makro , seems much stronger, only minus I see so far is the three beeps when turned off, my solution is to leave it turned on and carry it in my right hand so far, when at sites where signals to dig are thicker.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not want my pin pointer to "go deep" I want to locate it accurately-like one handful of dirt only//-if the PP doesn't sound -I know to dig some more///

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions