I found an old railroad and station and need suggestions of how to detect it

UpstateCacheHunter

Nov 21, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre with a Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through old map and google earth research I have found an old railroad and railroad station. The railroad was erected in the md 1840's, and the station still stands today.

I am wondering the best way to search here and on the railroad (now covered). Is there a discrimination that would eliminate the metal from the railroad? Or is it best to search the sides of the tracks? Also where would the best spot at the station be? It is no longer operational and is in an area where not many, if any people go.

Aside from the railroad and station, the surrounding area was settled in 1790, but has been settled by Indians for god knows how long before that. Truly is a prime area in my opinion. There is a creek, used by the indians that runs parallel to the tracks, I wonder if that is also a good place to search.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through old map and google earth research I have found an old railroad and railroad station. The railroad was erected in the md 1840's, and the station still stands today.

I am wondering the best way to search here and on the railroad (now covered). Is there a discrimination that would eliminate the metal from the railroad? Or is it best to search the sides of the tracks? Also where would the best spot at the station be? It is no longer operational and is in an area where not many, if any people go.

Aside from the railroad and station, the surrounding area was settled in 1790, but has been settled by Indians for god knows how long before that. Truly is a prime area in my opinion. There is a creek, used by the indians that runs parallel to the tracks, I wonder if that is also a good place to search.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Looks like you answered most of your own questions, there is a good book some-ware called How To to Detect Old Railroad Stations.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just search consistently and methodically until all things are yours. Is this a legal place to search? Public or Private? Answer these and then if you have a go ahead, HAVE FUN. HH

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gonna be trashy..just start cleaning it out to get to the good stuff..also hit each area from differant directions as many targets may be hidden from one direction.gl

OP
OP
U

UpstateCacheHunter

Nov 21, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre with a Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get 8 2 feet long wooden poles. Tie them in pairs with 10 or 20 feet long (depending on the size of the location) bright rope. Set up your square, and dig the "square" till you cant hear a beep. Once done with one spot, move three lines to make a new square. Rinse and repeat. Dig big iron (not the tracks) to uncover hidden signals.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am new to the hobby, I've had access to several very large farmers fields owned by the same guy, but have found no clad, only relics and some serious iron. Only coin I've found so far that was different from the norm is a 77 Kennedy half dollar. Coolest finds so far to me are a .375 musket ball, a shotgun slug from a mid 1800's Remington, and an iron arrowhead likely used by Indians. I have become hooked.

Finding this site, which is on public land, made me figure there must be coins there amongst other things. I am dying to find a coin from early 1800's.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am new to the hobby, I've had access to several very large farmers fields owned by the same guy, but have found no clad, only relics and some serious iron. Only coin I've found so far that was different from the norm is a 77 Kennedy half dollar. Coolest finds so far to me are a .375 musket ball, a shotgun slug from a mid 1800's Remington, and an iron arrowhead likely used by Indians. I have become hooked.

Finding this site, which is on public land, made me figure there must be coins there amongst other things. I am dying to find a coin from early 1800's.

Could you post the arrowhead? I have not heard of iron arrow heads and am interested to see what you found.

Good luck, I hope you find something awesome :)

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best place I've ever found is an old railway line a block from my apartment, which I've detected at least 50 times. So just from my experience (railways may differ): I've found less spikes than gold rings, and the only other big iron apart from the rails were weird stuff I might find anywhere else. So I don't think you need to fine-tune your detector against iron, unless of course against the rails. Speaking of: About 0.0001% of the great stuff I've found were either between the rails or within a foot of them (after tuning down for a day or more and trying. Nada). I suggest starting out well beyond them. There doesn't seem to be a natural concentration of awesomeness between rails, heh.

As far as where to start, my train cut doesn't have a station and is also the same all along topographically (steep sides). But for first/best spots, I'd think you could imagine in your mind back to when it was active and think of where people would sit for a spell, and the walking paths they'd most likely take from the station to train doors, station to waiting cars or taxis, etc. Of course keep in mind that the rail itself would cut off all road access to walking to cars. But some folks or kids might have still sat on the opposite side to watch trains or just as a different place to wait.

Of course, a sectional test like Perses suggests is also a good method if you have the time to do so.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Railroad Station likely had a wood platform and a walkway which could have been either wood or dirt for people to walk along the cars and board the train. I would search everything from the front of the building where the platform is or was and all along the walkway from the track outwards for 30 yards or more. In fact, I would probably search all around the Station and the tracks both sides and in between. If the tracks are still there and fair game to take, they make decent anvils when cut into 12 to 14 inch segments. It is doubtful that the tracks could be cut up and taken to a Metal Recycler as they would ask a lot of questions and if reported, the whole place could be put off limits. It would be nice to be able to at least move each track more to the outside where you have already metal detected as it is a good possibility that some items lost, would have bounced and ended up between the tracks. There are also some of the items that were used on the old Railroads that are very collectible and sought after by Collectors such as track switches, switch keys and there could have been some old Railroad Pocket Watches such as Conductor's Pocket Watches lost along the tracks that are worth retrieving. Good luck and I hope you hit a bonanza of valuable finds!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread