releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now you got it.

You gonna swing that thing or talk? :laughing7:

I'll take a break with some folks.
Some kids have been fun, and got a backwards glance with a smile and a whispered thank you from a mom once that was worth any future regret if a different group were disappointing.
Been approached for various reasons but sometimes don't seem to understand what someones saying with the small headphones on....

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I def get it and cannot fault anybody for their privacy. Just bonkers to me how many people take their MD'ing solitude so seriously that human interaction whilst doing it is considered bothersome.

Every week there is at least 2-3 new topics on TN about people approaching somebody while MD'ing. Followed by a couple pages of "how dare the peasants bother me" type posts. (not that bad obviously...just poking ribs)

If I am in a park reading a book....I would probably not want to be disturbed with a blanket type question such as "what ya reading" or a "sure is hot outside eh".....

However, if somebody came up and said "Hey man...I read that book" and then went into further conversation...I would embrace that without a second thought.

To each their own. At least you all are polite talk to me here on TN. :occasion14: I'll simply piss off in the field. :laughing7:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being polite, humble, and informative wins 100% of the time; period, and with no exceptions. On the extraordinarily rare occasion that the curious person is a condescending bugger, you still win; because you are digging history, and they are still a condescending bugger. We are all ambassadors for this sport/hobby/pastime...what a pity if this hobby was full of condescending buggers.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just ask them if they have been washed in the blood of the everlasting Christ.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny you say that..Here in Ft. Myers we gotta guy who dresses like Jesus. I mean the robe, cross, blood, crown of thorns, sandals... full on conviction. Always chatting with someone, kinda like a rock star here in town.

Last month I was beeping on a Saturday morning, didn't see anyone, I hear "Find anything good?" from behind me...Had a refreshing conversation about the history of Ft. Myers with a guy who looked like my Lord and Savior.

If you want to meet him, He is always at Publix on McGregor Blvd, or downtown, especially on weekend nites...
and sometimes He rides His bike.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how I am approached. If the person is coming with attitude, asking what I doing like I am a criminal, I will tell them, "Minding my own business, you should try it"

If someone really seems interested I might take a min or two and talk with them.

I used to chat with the kids that would come up to me but I learned they never want to leave, reaching into the hole as my lesche is doing its work, kids are more trouble than they are worth to me when I am out detecting. Last season I just started telling them to go play and to leave me alone.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've rarely had a problem with anyone that wanted to ask questions. They were genuinely interested in learning more about what I was doing and how it works. The kids get a big kick out of it and one day I had a mini archaeological team of kids going on about 3-4 all helping me, was amusing to me.
Worst and funniest situation came from a fellow detectorist. I was new to a spot about 3 years ago and this fruitcake comes up asks me what im doing while he himself holds a detector, before I can answer he tells me I wont find anything with my cheap detector(brand new Garrett AT pro, customized cover reading bzbadger so maybe he couldn't see) that my gear is all wrong( grey ghost headphones, shovel that I professionally make and sell, Garrett pin pointer etc) all this while he stands there holding a bounty hunter tracker 4 with WalMart headphones, a garden trowel and nail pouch. Yep I was certainly out classed that day. Was rude I guess because he didn't want someone new on his turf.

How precious is your time that you cant take a few minutes to answer a few questions? What if one day you need help yourself and you have to interrupt someone how would you feel if they came up barking bad language or attitude? I say keep us in a positive light as much as possible and it will pay off plus the Good Lord requires us to be nice to one another.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest I hardly ever see anyone because of the places I hunt other than land owners.They can eat up a lot of time but its worth it and I consider them friends I am after all a guest. If I do see someone I am polite but break away if it is eating up to much time.People canoeing and kayaking the creeks always stop and say hello when they see me in the water metal detecting.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the philosophy that many of you have in this thread. I also like to strike up a conversation with curious people, and probe them for answers to many of my questions about the area that I am in. I especially like it when old people accost me. I literally pump them for info. I ask questions like, "Hey, where did you folks go swimming around here when you were a kid?" "Where did everyone go sliding when there was a good snowstorm?" "Where there any travelling carnivals that came through here back in the day?" "Where did people go to have outings and picnics?"

People are walking books, and the population is our everlasting library. If you know how to search for what you want, you can really get some great info.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I am in a park reading a book....I would probably not want to be disturbed with a blanket type question such as "what ya reading" or a "sure is hot outside eh".....

However, if somebody came up and said "Hey man...I read that book" and then went into further conversation...I would embrace that without a second thought.

Ya that's all good until the person says I just don't get why the author had to kill off the hero so close the end of book. :tongue3:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya that's all good until the person says I just don't get why the author had to kill off the hero so close the end of book. :tongue3:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread