Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
When I detect a site by the roadside, particularly houses which I have received permission to detect, a person(s) will pull over in their car and ask me what I am doing. How does the metal detector work? Can I try the detector? And so on. Has anyone come up with a good story to get rid of these pests?

How about just a simple "get the &*@$ away from me" it works every time.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Give 'em a short answer and tell them where they can rent a detector locally to try it out. Tell them about a local club, and TN.

The person you are nice to may just have a virgin piece of ground for you to detect.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask them where they live, if it's a house, continue to ask when was it built, and you'd be glad to show them if you can have permission to do their property? "quid pro quo"

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried to get one of these type suits when I left Camp Bastion but was not allowed :sadsmiley:

I could think of the hours of fun, detecting in peace while everyone kept THE HELL AWAY FROM ME !:laughing7:

93f5c52fe5988214350f6a706700f671.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it's the wheel chair but I get asked if I need help more than anything.
My standard reply is "yes, do you know a good psychiatrist; or two?"

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you could wear a tee shirt with "bomb squad" printed on it.
I always wear large headphones detecting so when I'm not answering them they figure I can't hear them, but I can, the choice is mine.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should try R/C flying at a school yard sometime. You'd be surprised how many people young and old ask if they can fiy it. Their standard reason for thinking they know how is because they play video games.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you want to get rid of them ?

You should be making contacts & Pumping them for leads :o

I suppose you already know everything about everything,
and have full permission for everything within a 100 Mile radius of your home ?

do like red James Says , say "get the &*@$ away from me"
[I know he's joking] but guess what.
so they pull away thinking "Jerk" :(
big deal huh ? you can get back to digging those bits of
aluminum lawn mower shrapnel :thumbsup:

how would you feel knocking on a 18th Century Mansion Door & that same person answers the door , & remembers your "get the &*@$ away from me" comment :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have had people strike up a conversation about detecting. I will stop and answer all questions if I feel the inquiry is genuine. Much better then those "what do you think you're doing?" kinda questions. Managed some good leads as we'll. Kill'em with kindness.

OP
OP
pgleba

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
While getting information from someone may be an option, I find that generally it is not fruitful. I like the idea of referring a person to a club. I made a business card with information of my local detecting club using Avery format. It usually takes only a few sentences to find out if a person is friendly or not. I will react according to the situation.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried to get one of these type suits when I left Camp Bastion but was not allowed :sadsmiley:

I could think of the hours of fun, detecting in peace while everyone kept THE HELL AWAY FROM ME !:laughing7:

View attachment 1150110

I thought I was the only one who dresses like that while metal detecting!!!!

Here's the town metal detecting club I started
chernobyl2.png
Not one person has ever bothered us.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are all different and I hate to envelope anybody in a stereotype......but IMO it seems that many MD'ers want to be secluded to a point of piss off and don't bother me.

I get that a few people here have had their detectors stolen and had the local crackheads pull knives on them wanting the loot. I even understand it is a hobby of solitude and some people just like to be left alone.

What I don't understand is why anybody would not invite normal healthy conversation about something they are passionate about? Seems like people are throwing away chances at connections and friendships over their fear of being "bothered" by some onlooker who is clearly interested in the same things you are. Is it really a bother to talk about a hobby you enjoy for 5 minutes?

I will post about it all on TN with my internet family....but don't you dare approach me while I am doing it in real life!!! Seems bat-poop nutty to me.

Take the headphones off and share your knowledge. It is worthless kept to yourself. Don't feed them "go away" answers to their newb questions...answer them like it is the first time you have been asked and show interest in their interest.

You might just make a new pal. Then you can tell them how X machine is the best and how stupid they are for thinking of buying another model or brand.

After that they should be well molded and ready to come register at TN with the rest of us. :occasion14:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are all different and I hate to envelope anybody in a stereotype......but IMO it seems that many MD'ers want to be secluded to a point of piss off and don't bother me.

I get that a few people here have had their detectors stolen and had the local crackheads pull knives on them wanting the loot. I even understand it is a hobby of solitude and some people just like to be left alone.

What I don't understand is why anybody would not invite normal healthy conversation about something they are passionate about? Seems like people are throwing away chances at connections and friendships over their fear of being "bothered" by some onlooker who is clearly interested in the same things you are. Is it really a bother to talk about a hobby you enjoy for 5 minutes?

I will post about it all on TN with my internet family....but don't you dare approach me while I am doing it in real life!!! Seems bat-poop nutty to me.

Take the headphones off and share your knowledge. It is worthless kept to yourself. Don't feed them "go away" answers to their newb questions...answer them like it is the first time you have been asked and show interest in their interest.

You might just make a new pal. Then you can tell them how X machine is the best and how stupid they are for thinking of buying another model or brand.

After that they should be well molded and ready to come register at TN with the rest of us. :occasion14:
Makes perfect sense to me.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What I don't understand is why anybody would not invite normal healthy conversation about something they are passionate about?

Its all well in good if the topic is brought up when not detecting.Some people dont like being bothered while out and about,call it being in detector mode.,same as being in work mode.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all well in good if the topic is brought up when not detecting.Some people dont like being bothered while out and about,call it being in detector mode.,same as being in work mode.

I see your point....but feel sorry for those said people who place a hobby in the same category as work.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I see your point....but feel sorry for those said people who place a hobby in the same category as work.

Its not the physical aspect of what youre doing its the concentration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread