Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went Camping this weekend with my friend, and when arriving at the state park, was told the WA SP MD brochure listing eligible parks was out of date, and no detecting allowed.

Darn! Four days and No beeps?

So I got on the net and found MD Permitted County land on the far side of the SP -

Long story short, got turned around, lost my visual reference points going through a thick tree line. Doesn't help that I'm 5' tall.

No panic - I had my day pack w/ water, munchies, matches, printed google earth of area. No cell coverage w/ virgin mobile.

Finally found a field I could ID on my printout, and got back to camp the long way around before dark.

Got up the next morning after sleeping in - tired from the extended hike.

Under my coffee cup was a print-out from Amazon - Garmin Montana 650 - prime delivery.

When I started crying, my friend told me he couldn't afford to lose the best friend/cook/caretaker he has. And wouldn't want to explain to my sisters he lost me.

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy! But I guess he thinks so.

Or he was looking for a excuse to play with my new toy - Love my Geek friend!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a last resort I downloaded a free app for the phone called Motion-X gps. Great app and works off of satellite. So even if no cell tower signal you can still find you're way out. It does kill the batteries pretty quickly so I carry a spare quick charger for the iPhone in my pack.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
As a last resort I downloaded a free app for the phone called Motion-X gps. Great app and works off of satellite. So even if no cell tower signal you can still find you're way out. It does kill the batteries pretty quickly so I carry a spare quick charger for the iPhone in my pack.

If you would like to keep living,dont bet your life on a phone app or a gps for that matter:laughing9:

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you forgot your compass:nono::nono::laughing9:

Yep, didn't think I was going to go off trail on this trip - glad I had my printout and got to a clearing that I could see sun direction.

Worse case - Night falls - Park my rump, build a fire, and let them find me, though I would hate to bother SAR.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you would like to keep living,dont bet your life on a phone app or a gps for that matter:laughing9:
Did you notice the first 4 words? Believe me, I'm the guy that gets lost on purpose:) Blind Horse knife, ferrocerium rod, wool blanket, all steel canteen. All I need. But doesn't hurt to have some backups however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions