wanting to buy new detector. have an XLT. Advice please?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO if you're proficient with the XLT you may want a new machine, but probably don't really need a new machine.
luvsdux

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Intimately knowing and understanding your current machine is the secret to success, however there are some great machines out there that will boost your success. I remember when the XLT was the new hotness and everyone NEEDED one. There is some chagrin with abandoning an older detector, right? I'd say that if you are a White's guy, try a new V3i? The detector debate will rage on as long as there are detectorists, so the best advice that I could give it to study-up on what you want you detector to do for you, and bounce that off what you can afford.

I had the CTX-3030, and the V3i in one hand, and the Deus in the other. When they lowered the prices on the Deus, I jumped and glad I did. All three of these machines are wireless headphones, and that was one of my most-prominent needs.

I don't think that you can go wrong with any choice, but I will refer to my opening statement in saying that the key is knowing your machine inside and out. Beware: The new high-end machines have a serious learning curve that comes with them. The upside is a whole lot of satisfaction using them once you know what you are doing!

Good luck. Let us know what you choose, and finally - welcome back to Tnet!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I seriously wonder what that chicken is thinking about?:laughing7:

Buying something new is a real hard decision and where does stop themselves with the spending. Known some that think the new widget will get them the treasure they change machines like a summer breeze. But to getting to know a machine takes hundreds of hours, in lots of different conditions and when folks seem to be getting lots of finds it's one of two things, location and knowing the machine.
In knowing a half dozen that swing MXT detectors I've asked why not the V3I and they've all tried the machine and went back to the MXT, maybe because of it being user friendly? Going from Whites to Minelab it was a challenge as technology had changed and it was a relearning of many things. The only thing that seemed familiar was the mechanics of swinging and retrieval of the target.
Owning the CTX I can say they could of saved me $$$ in offing the crap (programs)that will never be turned on or used. It would be great if they'd offered two models one being all go and screw the show type model, the other being the current one with the Geo, tracking, and what ever they are.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Owning the CTX I can say they could of saved me $$$ in offing the crap (programs)that will never be turned on or used.

This is so true! I am drawn to Tesoros because they are simple, but seek deep, and the tones they give are incredible. Just something about it. I had a Bandido - which is no longer available - but I loved that machine. I found more with that than I did the CZ I had.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an XLT and liked a lot of things about it. Two things I did t like we're the weight and the need to do so much scrolling to make setting changes. My Xterra is about a pound lighter and way easier to make a change.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with an XLT and did well both in relic hunting and competition hunting. Then it started false signals, almost like electrical interferance. After sending it to Whites 3 times, the third time they sent me a new machine. Which I will say, as service goes, they treated me right. After I started having the same problem with the new Machine, I went to Minelab. I have an Explorer SE Pro and a Soverign GT. Like was said before, the Explorer has lots of things I will never use. I prefer to trust my ears to decide to dig or not, so I tend to reach for my trusty Soverign and leave the more expensive machine at home. So it's all what your comfortable with, if you learn what your machine is saying, there's lots of good machines out there. HH Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread