Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone, I usually post this near the beginning of Tick season. Go to your local pharmacy & buy a small bottle of Tea Tree Oil. Mix it in a 1/2 gallon of water, then pour into any spray bottle that you care to use. When headed into the woods or grasses, spray your outer clothes mostly near ankles & wrist, neck areas. If you wear a cap, spray the cap also. I usually put some on the back of my neck. Tea Tree Oil is all natural, & should not hurt your skin. You can apply it directly on skin if you wish. This is a "potion" that works very well, & I use it every year. If your spouses hate ticks, as my wife does, then they will also appreciate this !

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to try that.
Does it have a very noticeable smell ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll have to try that.
Does it have a very noticeable smell ?

Yes Rick, It has an noticeable smell, but it's not bad.

We like Tea Tree Oil, we also do up the same mixture, and also along with a number of other natural oils, some that we've used are tea tree, oil of oregano, juniper, cedar, orange, lemon oils and it seems to keep the ticks off. Apple cider vinegar seems to be on the top ten list as well. It is an alternative method to using Deet, or some other chemical that some folks can't tolerate because of medical reasons. Any citrus based product will repeal also animals that prowl around the yard/gardens, as they just don't like citrus smells. Write up in the paper today and the leading Dr. stated that they have the drugs to kill Lyme but the side effects from the drugs or problems that they cause he can't repair. Stay and play safe, do a check on the body every time one is exposed to long grasses or brush, shower within 3 hrs of being out, tuck pant legs into socks, wear light clothing. NJ has 90% of all reported Lyme the article stated, now that's just bad.

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick, As Pepperj said, It does have a noticeable smell, but it is not bad at all. The spray on's such as Off, Deep Woods, etc. smell worse & actually give me a headache. Tea Tree Oil does not do that to me.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a tick on me two weeks ago. I didn;t get it all out and the bite got infected. Went to see the Dr who told me it was bad. I got two shots, one in each buttock and a months of oral antibiotics. Next time I think I'll be more pro active about keeping them off of me. I HATE getting shots in the ass.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great tip!!! last fall I was a victim of a tick and tested + for Lyme, Anaplasma and Ehrlichiosis all from a large black leg in upstate NY. 14 days of Doxy, incubation period was 1 week before symptoms started as tunnel vision, balance issues, fatigue, severe dehydration, 102.7 fever. within 18 hours I was in convulsions and en route to the ER. never got the rash and tick was dead when I removed it.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been told the loggers around here take garlic pills to repel ticks. Think I'll do that and one of the above. I hate the bug sprays.

coryg

Mar 18, 2013
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks are no joke. "Natures dirty needle"

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already pulled two out of me this year. Will definitely be trying this. Thanks for the tip.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting about the tea tree oil, and the reminder about garlic pills. So far this year I've found two deer ticks on me, and my brother had three - just working in the garden. The bites are pushing a month old and still not completely healed. I'd had 3 bites a couple years ago and went through the doxy meds for a week on those..

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Trezurehunter for that info.
Do you know if it works on dogs too?
Thanks in advance.

Engine

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tea oil hmmmm , Thanks , we have SoS and Deep Woods . I have been using stuff that works .
I'll try it next time , see ya on the trail , me and the boys are heading into New England Tickville this mourning .

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks in advance.

I don't see why it would hurt a dog Engine, but I would make a quick call to your Vet to make sure. It is all natural stuff.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS, it's not that I'd mind a smell anyway just was curious, as I really can't stand deet, or for the most part the commercially sold "fly dope" I think if it "melts" fishing line, it can't be too good for you. I'd rather the bugs instead.

I'll certainly give this a try.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks in advance.

I don't see why it would hurt a dog Engine, but I would make a quick call to your Vet to make sure. It is all natural stuff.

My wife and 2 daughters Thank You also.
The members on this forum are fantastic.

ps---thank you very much for the pm.

Engine

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some prospecting on BLM land and discovered that 3 ticks had embedded themselves in my nether regions. I was able to remove them (along with some of my flesh in their jaws) but came down with what I believe was "Colorado Tick Fever" a few days later. It really sucked, I was laid up for about a week and the bites were maddeningly itchy for a few weeks. Inconvenient place to get bit, heh. Don't like deet sprays but the tea tree oil idea sounds great, I'll have to try it out.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the rocky mountain tick fever back in 1990 when I was living in McCurtain County, Oklahoma. It was misdiagnosed for a week then I ended up in the ER with very high fever and out of my head. They put me in a collapsible tub and filled it with ice to get my temp down finally and ended up with a 3 day hospital stay while getting IV antibiotics. It took me over six months to get over it and still had some effects and symptoms for over a year. I think Oklahoma is near the top in Lyme and other forms of tick borne illnesses, below NJ and NY and a couple more states of course. I had never heard of the tea tree oil, many thanks I will try it for sure.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the information, I'll give it a try. Tick bites are no joke!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We recently went thru a problem with scabies. My Grandson got them from his cousins. We were told about the Tea Tree Oil, and used it for that. I mixed some Flowers of Sulpher with it to make a paste. Worked good.
The bottle suggests to dilute with olive oil, or almond oil 4-1 if you have sensitive skin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread