Why dont Americans mark their Civil War like the British do WW2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably because that's two different type conflicts. The majority of my family 'fought' for the South. We felt that was a rich man's war, we didn't own slaves, and we really wanted no part of any of it. Didn't matter, they came and got you out of your field and you were now a Confederate soldier. Bring your own equipment. Maybe other folks have a different view of it, and good for them. I see nothing to mark about it. The only way my family 'mark' it I guess, is on Memorial Day. We call this 'Decoration Day' and it originally started as decorating the graves of rebel soldiers killed in battle. Then it went on to putting flowers on the graves of all who had passed on, and got called Memorial Day. These days it appears Memorial Day means 3 day weekend, go to the lake, get drunk and raise hell. I guess all our ancestors would be proud.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering why an English writer is concerned with this? Non of his business, must of been a slow news day for his magazine?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We "mark" the Civil War in many ways, as the Civil War touched every American differently.
Some do so quietly and privately. A huge display doesn't make it more meaningful.
The Brits should mind their own on this topic. Without US, their accent might sound German. ;)
Peace ✌

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short answer, Because half the country is still upset they lost!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres a better question.Why dont the British celebrate the American revolution like we do?:laughing9:

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . because it was a war where 600,000 Americans died killing each other.
We do recognize important anniversaries of specific battles, but not with a holiday. There are ceremonies at the battlefield memorials and you might see a mention in the media. Actually, it might not be a bad idea for us to have a national holiday honoring the people who died in that conflict -- from both sides -- as a way to remind us that there are better ways to resolve our conflicts.
It also cannot go without mention that these people all died because one race of people enslaved another -- many on one side fighting to maintain the status quo and many on the other who fervently wanted it abolished. There is not much to celebrate in such a large scale carnage essentially caused because we could not bring ourselves to find a way, as a nation, to stop the barbaric practice of slavery once and for all.

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres a better question.Why dont the British celebrate the American revolution like we do?:laughing9:

hehe. I know it is meant as a joke but it really does answer his question. I mean it would be kinda odd for Mississippi to celebrate getting crushed.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why don't Americans mark their Civil War like the British do WW2?

Imagine Churchill had been assassinated five days after VE Day? There was little joy in a victory over ourselves and that took all the remaining celebration out. We have Memorial Day that was originally to remember fallen Civil War soldiers.

What do the British do to commemorate and "celebrate" their Civil War (Roundheads vs. Cavaliers)?

Sadly, depending where you travel we seem to be ongoing with our Civil War. Enemy flags still fly in many parts.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The answer is (MUCH) simpler than all that, America's Civil War was fought to obtain the majority of Congress via personal wealth of plantation owners vs wealthy industrialization in the north. It was political and had nothing to do with slavery, and slavery continued thereafter too, to include Blacks owning White slaves (Paddies). Who won? That's easy too, in spite of all the lies told otherwise in (government) schools, the republicans kept the House of Congress and they maintained it for decades too, just as they do today. Who in their right mind would care about Congressional History beside a Historian anyway? In short, it is embarrassing to even think about all those people getting killed because of a political power struggle between and among wealthy politicians. The South won the war, although the North won most of the battles. US History 101

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think its low key because it was so tragic. It still fills people with sadness.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take is easy on good ol' JW, guys. He's a fine writer and a gentleman. I'm sure he didn't understand the impact his question would have on many of us.

Remember your Luft and Ingham?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'd also have to look back and see how we commemorated the Civil War in 1915 or 1925 to compare an event like WW2 to current time.

20150102__TFront~p3.jpg

DedicationofSoldier'sMonument.jpg
CivilWarVets1925memservicecemetery.jpg

And half the country celebrates our Civil War like Germany and Japan do WW2. ;-)

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in the north the G.A.R. posts held frequent events. Towns vied for the privilege of being hosts of encampments.
Southerners held reunions also and in time the two joined for other gatherings.
As veterans fade so too the true emotion of their realities. Experience surreal for those not involved. Memorial day origins was the civil war.. Different days north and south. Originally called decoration day.
We should note the war so "we"recognize it. For impressing those from other countries who think it under represented, not so much. .
For the approximately 350,000 that died and their families and their families and their families....and today's relations, absolutely.
Too we should note it when we disagree over states rights. Or choose unyielding sides of inequality.

Visitors are welcome to pop in and visit Gettysburg. While only a faint glimpse of long ago events, the war is remembered.
Civil War Veterans' Reunions - Encyclopedia of Arkansas
1913 Gettysburg reunion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't consider the Stars and Bars an enemy flag. It always flies below the American flag when both are displayed, it is strictly pride in our heritage...

I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of The United States of America from all enemies foreign and domestic when I enlisted in our military, I carry that oath to my death bed, but that doesn't mean I forsake my heritage. My great grandfather on my mother's side fought for the Confederacy in the Infantry from Florida...

8abfd04180f3c5827beee26be7a2bf62.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higgy said:
Take is easy on good ol' JW, guys. He's a fine writer and a gentleman. I'm sure he didn't understand the impact his question would have on many of us.
Thank you Higgy for your kind words and understanding. You are quite right in what you say. I try not to be a passenger on this forum (with only links to my blog) and like to contribute by introducing subjects and commenting on items that I think may interest members. On this occasion I am simply the messenger for an article that appeared in the BBC magazine. Sure stirred up a hornets' nest though!

Last edited:

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks Treasure Hunter for saying that .......... You probably saved me from getting kicked off the this board , cause I wasn't gonna be near as diplomatic as you were ............

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't be hard on JW, but I was wonderin what prompted him to ask that question. I don't know much about the English, although apparently some of my ancestors came from there. My maternal grandpa's last name was Roseberry. He learned about a Lord Roseberry in England and liked to point out he was probably related to English royalty. I am impressed that it seems those folks can go out and detect and find Viking coins, Roman silver caches, etc, in an afternoon and just another day in the field for them. That's pretty cool.

OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't be hard on JW, but I was wonderin what prompted him to ask that question.
I've explained that earlier, and had no ulterior motive.
I thought an Englishman's view might be interesting for Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread