Etiquette when someone ask to detect on your farm?

lagniappe

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2014
Central Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband and I, not that we do it often, have a metal detector and occasionally walk around our 44 acres and see what we can dig up. When we have to dig a hole for something I always check to see if something turns up. When we built our house a few years ago my brothers would spend a little time in the evenings digging around for stuff. We are in prime civil war country and we did have an encampment here along our little river.

A neighbor says someone asked about coming to our farm to check it out. In every other situation, I would flat out say no, but I feel like I need to be as diplomatic as possible since these are sheriff's deputies that want to come over.

What would you do and how are these situations handled?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pulled that one a few days ago. The landowner said, "I'd let you, but I do it myself."

He pays the taxes, he calls the shots.

BTW, your taxes pay the deputies salaries.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say sure, and I will hunt with you.. Take your machine and join them. You may learn a little from them if they are avid dectorist and you can see what they are pulling out of the ground. You can also choose where they hunt if you like. If the guys are good people you will get to know each other and that is always good to known nice people who work for you as a public servant. After your first outing you can decide on the rules since they will most likely ask to come back. Or just say no, we would rather not.

OP
OP
L

lagniappe

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2014
Central Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say sure, and I will hunt with you.. Take your machine and join them. You may learn a little from them if they are avid dectorist and you can see what they are pulling out of the ground. You can also choose where they hunt if you like. If the guys are good people you will get to know each other and that is always good to known nice people who work for you as a public servant. After your first outing you can decide on the rules since they will most likely ask to come back. Or just say no, we would rather not.

Okay, yes, this is what I was thinking. Letting them know that we need to be with them when they are here and maybe have a discussion about anything very rare either they can't keep or we share in someway?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is your land and your artifacts, you make the rules, there is no etiquette required, you are being a nice person to allow them to hunt your land so whatever you want. Maybe everything goes in a pile, I pick what I want you guys get the rest. Or if you have a museum in your town maybe donate anything with real historic value and split up the rest? Whatever feels right to you.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish there were more landowners like you! At least you are giving some thought at letting outsiders detect your land. I ask...What could it hurt to let them detect? Go with them and see how they conduct themselves. It's your game so you get to set all the rules. When I lived in New Mexico I stumbled, (pure luck, because many others had asked) upon permission to detect some very old homesteads. All the owner said was he wanted to see everything I found, and he did!! I understand how many land owners feel but, we aren't all knuckleheads. LOL.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
My husband and I, not that we do it often, have a metal detector and occasionally walk around our 44 acres and see what we can dig up. When we have to dig a hole for something I always check to see if something turns up. When we built our house a few years ago my brothers would spend a little time in the evenings digging around for stuff. We are in prime civil war country and we did have an encampment here along our little river.

A neighbor says someone asked about coming to our farm to check it out. In every other situation, I would flat out say no, but I feel like I need to be as diplomatic as possible since these are sheriff's deputies that want to come over.

What would you do and how are these situations handled?

In the past you always said no and you want to know how to be diplomatic about saying no to some local cops. Just smile and say no. Let them know your detecting the property with a family member. If they are gentleman, they will just except it and respect your decision, which I'm sure they will. After that remember to use your seatbelt and never drive over the speed limit when in town. . Good luck

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I applaud your diplomacy. The police are just like everyone else, they get a paycheck to do their job, just like I do. They should get no special privilege or access because of the their profession. If you have said no to other professions, then you should say no to them. No honest law enforcement officer would use their position for personal gain, it is called "unethical".

"Escape" is spot on... seatbelts and no speeding!

OP
OP
L

lagniappe

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2014
Central Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the replies everyone and I agree they shouldn't get any special treatment and we shouldn't get special treatment if we do let them on the property, but I think that we all know that sometimes those things do happen. We are waiting any day now for the farmer who rents out the property to start tilling up and planting so after that it will be a non issue until after he harvest. I did suggest that he should contact a couple of the places around us due to where I believe the union camp was when it was here and he would probably have better luck over there.

As to why I wouldn't really want him to is that it would kill me to have someone else detecting on the property and find something really cool that I could have had in my collection :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other side of the coin is getting friendly with officers could open up other areas for you to hunt if you offer to allow permission in exchange for permission for other areas. On top of this being friends with LEO who detects can be advantage if locals complain about you detecting in a park somewhere... I have personally known several police officers over the years, never once was it a disadvantage....

Last edited:

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
44 acres could take a lifetime for 2 people to cover thoroughly. If ever. As long as they are good guys and respect your rules and property, I see no harm in allowing them to hunt. Worrying about them finding something nice is natural,I guess, but it's most likely not going to be something you lost so just tell them you don't ever want to know what they've found. Generosity........it's a good thing.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If this was your property, would you permit strangers to hunt it? You know people would actually pay to hunt this kind of property by the bus load.

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this were my situation, I'd oblige for a day of it. I'd be right in there with them, and the relics all to be observed and divided as I see fit. This is how I approach all new permission grantors and I get a lot of permissions. I hunt it, they divide it. People, by and large, are very generous when it comes to divvying up a pile of finds. One time I felt gipped, but I just didn't ask to come back. I don't pocket good stuff and only show my trash, I lay it all out and have an extra detector for an open invitation to join in. Nobody ever does. After a day of digging so many plugs for so little reward, most just say have at it and don't really show a lot of interest. Some do and ask why I'd want to come back at all. Print a card out with your name and phone number and an email address and give it to them if you'd like to remain on good terms. I have been "invited" back to find car keys and wedding rings. Got a ring returned once, and I ended up with getting leads on other grounds for doing that. I really strive to leave my hunting grounds better than I found them. I think that goes farther than everything else combined. My way is risky, but I'm in such a small town area, nobody is going to treat you less than they feel is fair. This may or not work in a more populated environment. Always discuss terms first! Say no when you want to! I have been told no before, I don't harbor any hard feelings about it, and I'm employed in the public service field...

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just see things differently. I'm not out to make a profit on every little thing. I've got a job for that. For most, metal detecting is a hobby, not a business. If the time comes when the fun of it is ever replaced by greed and the need to make a profit, I'll be out. If anyone is metal detecting as a means of eating, they might want to explore alternate professions.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would politely tell them no. Letting cops on to your property is never a good idea, uniform or not.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be there for them and they will be there for you.

Nope.

No professional law enforcement officer would ever expect or ask something like this. When you say "no", there should be not a speck of anything on their face except friendliness and politeness. Zip.

After that's all you see, THEN if you'd like, you could offer to hunt with them and share on your terms. Just make sure that they are clear.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I look at it like this......44 acres yeah, I could let them hunt with me. Maybe make some new friends and wouldn't hurt if you get pulled over doing 52 in a 45 one day.

As far as not giving them any special privileges, well in the average day, it's not nearly as likely that I may be gunned down at work as it is for them. In my book they are afforded a little something extra.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope.

No professional law enforcement officer would ever expect or ask something like this. When you say "no", there should be not a speck of anything on their face except friendliness and politeness. Zip.

After that's all you see, THEN if you'd like, you could offer to hunt with them and share on your terms. Just make sure that they are clear.

I meant in a friendly supportive way. Not special privileges because they're LEO!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread