OP
OP
motel6.5

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C.W.good read, I plan on checking the ranch out further soon,Palm trees,yup, there is water there.
I need to get a more advanced detector{F75},and a dog{shepard} before I go back. So I will sell a few of my guns to finance a more professional search.

LDS=could be intials of the former rancher,saying Morman was my sense of humor,
dry as it is.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find the palm trees to be interesting.not native and generally would date site later than 1940s if there at time of const.Also they were most generally planted to entice customers of some sort as they dont provide much shade and little wind break for homestead site.Is it possible this was a campground of some sort?

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the palm trees to be interesting.not native and generally would date site later than 1940s if there at time of const.Also they were most generally planted to entice customers of some sort as they dont provide much shade and little wind break for homestead site.Is it possible this was a campground of some sort?

That's a great point as to a possible campground. The structure must have been burnt recently as the char on the trees is still present, as well as spacial. Any old arial photos showing the structure at some point?

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so scared I can't look at this thread anymore. MOMMY!!!!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a nice place to build a cabin to me but maybe I need a vacation.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The chimney and insert that survived from a home that has burnt down, or long since past. Nothing scary about this at all, tree won't fall unless a person screws with it, another is it's scary to think that you walked away without detecting it.

The biggest scary is why the heck there's so much inherent paranoia, have to pack the heat, geez really? Relax, sit down on the hearth have a bite to eat and enjoy the scenery it's not going to bite your arse.

OP
OP
motel6.5

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of more photos of my finds. Includes Ansonia clock parts, some kind of bullet? , smelting dish, oil lamp top, water running through rock trough, purple quartz rock, key for ?. In my opinon a lot took place on this land over a long peroid of time. Long shot guesses, it could have been a early stage stop or road house. My detector was going off everywhere I put it. No telling whats left under the ground.I also dug a large piece of slag which I think is silver,not pictured,I am going to have it tested. All for now thanks for your interests and imputs. _DSC1864.JPG _DSC1863.JPG _DSC1860.JPG _DSC1853.JPG _DSC1855.JPG

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of more photos of my finds. Includes Ansonia clock parts, some kind of bullet? , smelting dish, oil lamp top, water running through rock trough, purple quartz rock, key for ?. In my opinon a lot took place on this land over a long peroid of time. Long shot guesses, it could have been a early stage stop or road house. My detector was going off everywhere I put it. No telling whats left under the ground.I also dug a large piece of slag which I think is silver,not pictured,I am going to have it tested. All for now thanks for your interests and imputs. View attachment 1163198 View attachment 1163199 View attachment 1163200 View attachment 1163201 View attachment 1163202

Damn Motel6.5!!!! Those are awesome finds! Have you researched any of them yet? At first glance I thought your "Key" may in fact be an old Mouth-harp, but, I could be wrong. It looks odd for a key. I tried zooming in and it looks like cross ridges (horizontal) or slats not notches. Very cool! When are you headed back???

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you may need to build a 1/4"screen sifter and get to it.then you can detect the deeper targets.An old homestead site in mojave we call button house required this method.My first time sifting.Was a real eye opener for me.Areas we pounded hard with our detectors began immediatly producing all manor of great finds.Because we sifted it is our favorite"war story"of treasure hunting,far too much to list.example..20 buffaloes..2 found detecting all others sifted out of the trash.
cheers

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The biggest scary is why the heck there's so much inherent paranoia, have to pack the heat, geez really?"

Yeah, really pepperj!! Out in the Nevada desert and other places, I carry mainly because of rattlers. As far as sittin' down on the hearth and havin' a bite to eat, I second that idea!! I would inspect where I parked my butt though....scorpions and rattlers do not like to be parked on!!

....and last but not least, some places a guy detects just seems to give off bad vibes. I would bet that the "eerie feeling" happens to all of us. Nothing wrong with being EXTRA careful!!:thumbsup:

Ron in Nebr

Apr 14, 2008
That is definitely a Tuning Key for a guitar. Great find!

Is the "key" you guys are talking about the one that's pictured in the same shot with the clock springs? If so, that's a clock winding key. Also, that woodburning insert that's lodged in the bottom of the chimney sure appears to be a 1960s-70's vintage. Doesn't mean the structure wasn't in use 100 years before that, just that it had been occupied and used as recent as then.

Editing here- on closer inspection that "key" appears to have threads on it. Still could have been used to wind the clock the springs came from, also could have just been an ornamental piece of the clock or some other object.

I also took a closer look at the pics on the original post- in one of them you can see vice grips on the damper lever at the top of the woodburning insert- another clue of somewhat "modern" occupation.

Finally- notice on either side of the stove, there are openings that look to be lined with sheetmetal. These were to circulate the air around the firebox and provide some additional heat flow. I don't know when this practice became common, but they are the same way on the fireplace in my parent's house built in 1962. I'm no expert, but I've restored old houses and read a ton on old fireplaces, wood burning appliances, etc...and I've never seen that kind of thing in anything built pre-WW2.

What remains of the chimney, woodburning insert, etc., not to mention the palm trees on the sight, suggests to me that this was a somewhat modern(postwar) structure that burnt sometime in the late 70's or 80's..... Again- that's not to say there wasn't something in the same spot 100 or 150 years ago. It'll be interesting to see what the original poster turns up when/if they check the local records on this location.

Last edited:
OP
OP
motel6.5

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not found any imfo yet on the land history/occupation.Ron made some good points and they are most likely accurate in my opinon. The Key is threaded and it was a surface find after my detector went off on it,was pressed in the dirt. Possibly a Valve stem key. What I thought was a bullet turned out to be a Fuse. The slag did not turn out to be silver,but a combination of different metals like aluminum. Right now my focus is on the outlaw trail and hideout, which brought me to the Chimminey originally. I also have a CCC Camp to locate. Thanks for all your imputs. _DSC1865.JPG _DSC1866.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread