How safe do you feel when detecting?

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a post yesterday in the Today's Finds subforum atomicscott said he felt uncomfotable digging up a some gold jewelry because some "thug looking guys" were hanging around. Does anyone else ever feel uneasy due to the folks that are around where you detect? How do you handle it?

I'm in a suburban setting for the most part and have no fears in the city parks. But I've stopped going into the local "Metro Parks" near by because unsavory elements do make the drive out to suberbia to commune with natue.

I'm a big guy and do have a concealed carry permit, but try not to court danger, would rather avoid it.

But there are some older parks up near and into Cleveland I'd like to try, i'm just a little aprehensive to do so!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing good ever comes from carrying a gun around anywhere. Not necessary if you're a big guy and it also gives the appearance that you're looking for trouble.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me also add that if you feel uncomfortable in an area, leave immediately. Sometimes your instinct is your best friend.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honeyman,

I've done inner city parks without incident other than curious types asking me questions....if you feel uncomfortable maybe tag team it with a friend to be on the safe side.

Regards + HH

Bill

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to trusting your "gut" feeling or instinct on these things ! I mean - the whole point of this is to have fun , in a relaxed , safe
environment - and to enjoy the thrill of the hunt - in my opinion.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are some really old parks around me that I'd like to detect but I feel totally exposed when I'm there with all my gear. I'm in shape and feel a little bit of security with my Lesche digger, but I'd still like to detect there only when I take a friend along. We have a bit of a problem up here with Bath Salts and Synthetic Marijuana, and those substances make some people extremely bold and unpredictable. You will have a better experience if you're not constantly looking over your shoulder when you detect. Size doesn't matter sometimes. Stay safe.

Johnny Hall

May 15, 2015
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after 15 years of driving taxi at night in jerksonville , im like just as long as the humans im seeing dont have rpg's or ak 47 ill dig in comfort. my threat assessment is keen (i think) its mainly situational awareness and its not always thug humans its snakes wasps dogs gators livestock too. just be careful and always have a escape planned out (back door) if you can . i even sharpen my digging tool (just in case) i need something quickly and its usually in my hand or on belt

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel generally safe wherever I'm at and whatever I'm doing, but that's not to say I don't have fear sometimes. Most of the places I detect in, the environment can be your biggest threat. There's mountain lions, bears, moose, lots of standing dead trees that could fall in a high wind, avalanche danger, rockslides, at times high fire danger, lightning strikes, and the remote possibility of just gettin lost in the woods. My best defense is to never get totally wrapped up in the detecting. I always pay attention to my surroundings. I use headphones, but I always keep one ear uncovered.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing good ever comes from carrying a gun around anywhere. Not necessary if you're a big guy and it also gives the appearance that you're looking for trouble.
I conceal carry a firearm 99.5% of the time, movies, stores, attractions etc, I always carry when detecting, only time I don't carry detecting is when I'm going in the water waist deep or deeper. I night hunt beaches and I have a vest that has pocket that pistols fit in perfectly.....

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad that anyone would be so insecure that they can't go out in public without a gun...

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free Bird Tim, I think that your definition of insecure is not quite the same as mine. Not a bad thing, but definitely not the same. Some environments require a little different preparation than others.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad that anyone would be so insecure that they can't go out in public without a gun...
Tim, I'm by no means insecure, I'm exercising my right.

You have no right to attack anyone on this subject on our forums If you want to argue it do so on our political forum.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detect and let detect.
If you PERSONALLY feel threatened in anyway, leave.
Even the people that carry concealed know that the "unscrupulous" characters and/or "bad guys" have weapons too.
The best bad situation is avoided.
GL
Peace ✌

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detect and let detect.
If you PERSONALLY feel threatened in anyway, leave.
Even the people that carry concealed know that the "unscrupulous" characters and/or "bad guys" have weapons too.
The best bad situation is avoided.
GL
Peace ✌
I hunt where I want to hunt when I want to hunt... I have hunted beaches at 1am, just me and Mr Springfield..

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe ALL gun comments (pro and con) should be posted in the political forum...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe ALL gun comments (pro and con) should be posted in the political forum...
Maybe you should leave moderation to the mods. Subject is within rules as are non political comments on guns, politics and insults are not.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a post yesterday in the Today's Finds subforum atomicscott said he felt uncomfotable digging up a some gold jewelry because some "thug looking guys" were hanging around. Does anyone else ever feel uneasy due to the folks that are around where you detect? How do you handle it?

I'm in a suburban setting for the most part and have no fears in the city parks. But I've stopped going into the local "Metro Parks" near by because unsavory elements do make the drive out to suberbia to commune with natue.

I'm a big guy and do have a concealed carry permit, but try not to court danger, would rather avoid it.

But there are some older parks up near and into Cleveland I'd like to try, i'm just a little aprehensive to do so!

I hunt around those areas all the time, never been messed with by anyone...and if they ask if I found anything, i make a joke about how Im not retiring anytime soon.

The only issues I run into is them DAMN Mosquito..lol...those are my only fears when I head out hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm easy going and reasonably agreeable. No one has worried my detecting in a thuggish manner.
Have not hit a park that made me feel uneasy because of the people in it,safety wise.
Then there are parks I don't hit too. Big city is out a ways, but then trash extravaganza's can be had locally.
Leaving is a great option if it's not safe and someone becomes uneasy. As long as it remains a viable option.
A permit does not entitle me to seek trouble; but does compliment keepin my nose clean and not creating conflict.
Learned that long ago, don't be in the wrong with a weapon.
Just swingin for a once in a while old coin really, once in a while one might turn up in the hole if I keep tryin.
Jewelry is pretty scarce. I still blame tattoo's. I wear no bling but might if some turned up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread