T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments!!

Oh well, here goes....when I first started out, I watched a lot of youtube videos and the video I received with my M6. Then, I came here!! I have found that I can pop coins out with a semi-sharpened screwdriver, with a hook ground into it. On the deeper coins, I cut a straight slice in the sod and still manage to pop out the coin. As far as cutting plugs, everyone has their own favorite way of doing this. So, I will leave it to others and all the youtube videos you can stand!!

Welcome to the hobby and TNET....you're hooked now!!:occasion14:

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I have tried the coin popping method T.C. suggests with little success. I either run into rocks and have to dig around them or end up scratching coins with the probe. What I have been doing lately is pinpoint well with my machine, make a u shaped plug about 4 inches across and an inch deeper than my target is. Pry up the bottom of the U and fold it over like a hinge. 90% of the time the item is in the plug and all I have to do is flip it back over when I am done and give it a stomp. Very little dirt is left exposed if you are careful. I also use a Garrett pin pointer to help locate targets in the plug which helps speed up recovery time. There are times when I do have to dig a larger or deeper hole. I try to keep the top of the plug intact and scrape all the soil back in the hole before replacing it. With practice, you can hide your holes well. I certainly do a better job than all the gophers around here do. Good luck! :thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, get a good pinpointer. Before you dig, run the pinpointer over the ground, if it sounds, you know your target is very close to the surface and you either pop it out with your screwdriver or make a slice with your digger and pull it out. If you have to dig a . plug, make sure you have a towel or cloth to put the dirt on, then cut your plug either a square or circle about 3/4 around. Flop it back, use you pinpointer to see where the target is in your hole, and put any dirt you dig on the cloth. If you have a good digger and your target ends up being deep or to the side, you can usually widen the hole below the grass without having to cut your plug any wider. After you get your target, you dump the dirt from the cloth into the hole, pat it down, flip the plug flap back over and push it down.

OP
OP
N

Nebraska

Greenie
Mar 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all! Really appreciate it!!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432168135.248829.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432168152.468000.jpg this is a slice of inner tube it works great for access dirt it dumps the dirt cleanly back in the hole and folds up small.i read about this on a treasure net post the people here are extremely helpfully

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another huge plus is that it doesn't absorb moisture I've loved it

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to acknowledge that inner-tube idea is pretty cool. Use what you have on hand, I suppose.

I have been using a 18"x18" square of upholstery leather. It folds up nice to go in a pocket. I usually just carry it in my pouch. The thing I like about it is that its no fuss. It takes care of the extra dirt, folds into a nice V to return the dirt to the hole, and it behaves. Rubber and plastic have minds of their own it seems. If you see an old leather chair in the curb, stop and cut out a section. I highly recommend it.

As far as the flap idea for plugging, I do that on nice lush lawns, but scraggly, mossy, bare-patch lawns, I'll cut a full plug and wave it in front of the coil. Break off pieces and wave them until I get what I want. Still the fastest way imho, although I do carry a Garrett PP for when that trick doesn't work so good in some spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread