Experienced Heart Surgery Recipients - Advice Wanted

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post has little to do with metal detecting, and yet it has everything to do with it. In reality this post is about those life changes that effects our entire roles and abilities in this world, something I can only assume some of you have first hand experience with. So let me tell you where I'm at in life right now and some of the decisions I'm facing in this new race against the clock.

Without going into great detail let me offer that last February I was struck with a massive widow-maker that eventually resulted in a quadruple bypass, the extent of the heart damage from this attack and the body stresses from the surgery leaving me in pretty much a helpless state for several weeks. On the bright side, however, and against the odds, the heart has just about fully recovered and I'm now able to ease my way back into many of my usual activities and the prognosis for the future is fairly bright. So all good news, really. But in this I am still facing some issues that I have never dealt with before and they are both frightening and uncertain and frustrating.

Time. This is what the doctors say that I am facing now, enough time to allow the body to heal so that I can get back to doing what I use to do without any limitations, or at the very least, only a couple of minor ones. Like I said, I have been very lucky to get this second chance at life as the original prognosis wasn't all that good. And now comes those entirely new difficult issues that I find myself dealing with each and every day, that factor of time, or lack of it.

Six months, this is what they tell me it's going to take before I can once again go full tilt into the world. Recently I was released to go back to work and while I am doing much better I still have my bad days where my strength and endurance is very limited, these days becoming more few and far between but still coming around without any forewarning whatsoever. So on these days I'm pretty much a home body, usually taking it easy around the house. In reality there isn't a chance that I could go back to doing any type of scheduled labor like I use to do, not yet anyway. Maybe in a few more months or so, or so they say.

Money and finances. Honestly, the reserve is getting pretty low and it is never going to last another six months, perhaps three or four months if I'm really frugal. So I need to get back to work ASAP and yet my current health situation still places certain limitations on my ability to do that. But this by itself isn't the only issue, the second issue being a new fear factor that I have never known before. Folks, I don't care what the doctors are saying at this point, problem is my body and mind simply won't forget. It's like walking on eggs all the time. There is a part of me that wants to get back out there in the worst way and yet there is this new half of me now that fully appreciates just how precious life is. Not a chance that I want to risk doing anything that might see me trying to cheat death a second time, if that makes any sense. And so I'm still sitting around easing my way back into things, staying in total control of my physical output and activities each day so that everything remains in an acceptable comfort range. Call it a type of PTSD if you like because perhaps it is.

Doctors continue to tell me that those sharp stabbing pains and palpitations in my chest are normal, and while they might be, they are not normal to me and their presence is often a reminder of the many similar pains I felt while doing battle with the grim reaper on that damn helicopter just a couple of months ago. And I never want to go back there again. So I guess my question to some of you who have experienced this sort of thing is this, how did you deal with all of this? Honestly, I feel like life has its thumb on me. Damned if I do and damned if I don't and the clock is ticking. :BangHead:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no expierience to share...but I have something that may help...my prayers for your recovery.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well not quite as bad, but I had "the big one", be 2 years ago in August. Had 4 stents put in, followed by a return trip an hour later for another. And boy do you bleed when the incision in your leg artery ruptures.

I took off for a month, taking it easy, ended up going back in about a week later for a blood clot in my leg. After that I just told myself, well the Big Guy doesn't need me yet and the other guy doesn't want me, so I'm still here for a reason. I went back to work, and yep I occasionally get those twinges.
But I don't dwell on it. Only thing I think about is what is the Big Guy's plan for me. I've had Last Rites twice before this one, and I'm still here, just clueless as to why.

With my life, exposed to all the stuff I've put my body through, could be I'm just such a wreck that they haven't figured out what to do with me up there.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, no first hand experience but you are alive, doing well, no cardiac dementia from the bypass operation like my Mother in law and my neighbor, no sudden death from a blood clot like my sister, in fact your future is very bright, just do as your told and think about how fast time used to pass.. it is still moving at the same speed, you are just more focused on it now then before. Good luck and don't dwell on the things you can't change.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey bigscoop, glad your doing better. Three years since my Widow Maker................2 stents, 4 days in ICU +2 more regular room. No surgery to deal with, but it took a while to get my strength back. I am at 35% function on one side. For the first year I also had those"bad" days, they get fewer as time passes....................after they got all my meds right! Metal detecting was my choice for the exercise they told me to get. Had a stress test a few months ago, and Dr. said keep doing what your doing ( treadmill mile a day.....no salt........metal detect every chance I get) but I still get in some out of the way place detecting sometimes, and think no one will ever find me here if I go down again. I was an Operating Engineer, and had to retire, because I just couldnt do all the hours and travel, any more. You will get over that scare of every chest pain, and twitch , stressing you out. Dont stress about the $$$$$ or you will be right back in there. Good Luck and Health

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just very frustrating. Several good days in a row, like today for instance where I feel I might be even better then 100%, then comes that unexplained day where my legs feel like rubber all day long and every part of my upper torso feels pain and my strength all but disappears, like the past couple of days. One thing that is starting to become apparent is that the passing whether systems seem to be bringing on a lot of the bad days. Anyone else notice this?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoops- my hubby had quad by pass in 1997, they missed one 95% blockage, he was in hospital 12 days. I truly believe Dr.'s weren't sure he would make it. He is a stubborn man and family counts a lot with him. Diet, exercise, and being stubborn kept him going. In 2003 he had a triple bypass & heart valve replaced (damaged from the missed clogged artery) & 2005 he had a stint. He ate mostly chicken & fish ( no skin) lots of vegetables Walked a lot. He had his own furniture business, which I ran when he could not.

In 2012 he had some weird psychotic issue, possible low electrolytes. Diagnosed with psychotic break, enlarged heart, arterial fibrillation, congestive heart failure, type 2 diabetes. They put him on blood thinners. In 2013 he and I both had curable cancer.
Then nov. 2014 he had a stroke caused by the blood thinners, brain bleed type.
Today he gets around well, get his words mixed up a little & is confused at times but scares his doctors because he is alive & fairly healthy. They are all holding their breath, we know better, it's what you bring to life that counts, your WILL to go on, love of family that counts! Dude you have our support on T Net! Love & live! GO FOR IT!

After any major surgery your strength is really low at times. Took me over year to feel normal and even then I lost muscle mass, making it harder to get back to "normal".
Hubby is now 70

Majority of heart by passes go well and the patient is released in a few days, and with a few restrictions start getting back into a normal routine. You will be fine.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only relate my wife's experience.
Triple bypass, recovering well then suddenly more pain. ( BTW they said no heart damage)
One of the bypasses failed after 4 months ( no rebate)
Then two stints to get around that. So far so good, but her strength is still recovering. A lot now is adjusting meds.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
my mother felt the same way 2yr after her triple bypass in 95, we took her out more
movies,dinner,mall walking, fam nites board card games to take her mind off it
she got over that feeling, but her strength stayed low, couldnt work full time anymore
had to take her ss disability, then breast cancer she is a survivor, pace maker in 2011
A=fib probs, she had pneumonia 2xs on a ventilator and a trach from neck surgery
now she has Myelodysplastic Syndrome, she was 61 at the bypass now 81
we keep telling her shes like a Timex tough and keeps ticking

oh ya she used a heart pillow for those pains and a breathing exercises for the palpation
if you want ill call her about the breathing exercises, right now she is on the road headed
to my cuz house in columbus

bigscoop said
the second issue being a new fear factor that I have never known before. Folks, I don't care what the doctors are saying at this point, problem is my body and mind simply won't forget. It's like walking on eggs all the time. There is a part of me that wants to get back out there in the worst way and yet there is this new half of me now that fully appreciates just how precious life is. Not a chance that I want to risk doing anything that might see me trying to cheat death a second time, if that makes any sense. And so I'm still sitting around easing my way back into things, staying in total control of my physical output and activities each day so that everything remains in an acceptable comfort range. Call it a type of PTSD if you like because perhaps it is.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hospitals terrify me anymore, I hope you have a good recovery

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only relate my wife's experience.
Triple bypass, recovering well then suddenly more pain. ( BTW they said no heart damage)
One of the bypasses failed after 4 months ( no rebate)
Then two stints to get around that. So far so good, but her strength is still recovering. A lot now is adjusting meds.

x2 on adjusting the meds jeff-gordon.................... It took almost a year to get my 10 different meds right, and I am sure most of my "bad days" were side effect from so many pills!! They got it right now, I feel great. 5 pills in the AM.....4 at noon.......6 at bedtime. "Better living through chemistry" was the battle cry in the 70's..........................now it's true!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have heart issues mine was a pulmonary embolism but I know the fear you are speaking of I thought it was just me.I am adjusting how I do things and where I go alone,where I live there are a lot of bad cell areas, that is where I have a buddy along just in case.Normally my wife just watching or taking wildlife photos but it helps with my confidence level and the what ifs.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. I am 52 I had a widow maker at 44. I was,lucky too !!
After surgery I was surprisingly ok !! After a few months on the treadmill easily walking not jogging I was back in my groove. Xanax helps at night with the palpitations one .25 after diner and I relax and sleep. Let's the body rest
No booze or drugs. Now I have to remind myself Not to do to much. You will be fine just let the stress go no smoking and eat well !! And take your meds on time. Gl HH.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
All I can add here is best wishes for your recovery.

What I can say is that proper nutrition is without question the greatest thing you can do for yourself - enable your body to defend itself naturally. I know that finances are of great concern. I have a juicer I'll send to you free of charge if you wish (just PM me with your address). Veggies are a bit expensive, but maybe you know someone with a good garden who might help.

We need to get you back to this wonderful world without these fears which grip you. Keep your faith in our maker's greater plan.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't have heart issues mine was a pulmonary embolism but I know the fear you are speaking of I thought it was just me.I am adjusting how I do things and where I go alone,where I live there are a lot of bad cell areas, that is where I have a buddy along just in case.Normally my wife just watching or taking wildlife photos but it helps with my confidence level and the what ifs.

I never carried a camera around, now I have it with me just about all the time and it is fast becoming my new hobby of choice. I can walk away the entire day just looking for good shots to take. It's a new type of treasure hunting. :laughing7: Been shooting a lot of black and whites lately, mostly simple mood shots. These are from a recent walk around the other morning.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two heart valves replaced when I was five years old. That was in 1967 and I'm still kicking. I stopped worrying about it decades ago. When it's your time, it's your time. I've always lead a normal life. Played all sports in high school and worked as a carpenter since I was in my teens.

Bottom line, don't dwell on it. Try to eat right, don't smoke and get out there and detect every chance you get! HH.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. I am 52 I had a widow maker at 44. I was,lucky too !!
After surgery I was surprisingly ok !! After a few months on the treadmill easily walking not jogging I was back in my groove. Xanax helps at night with the palpitations one .25 after diner and I relax and sleep. Let's the body rest
No booze or drugs. Now I have to remind myself Not to do to much. You will be fine just let the stress go no smoking and eat well !! And take your meds on time. Gl HH.

NO smoking I smoked for 40 years, and have not touched a cigarette since my attack over 3 years ago

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad my friend, I have never been down your road, but I have a very good friend who had a heart transplant 3.5 years ago. He still is dealing with his body rejecting his heart.

My friend does everything the doctors tell him to do for his health, but more importantly he lives each day like it is his last, I don't mean raising hell, he just enjoys each day as if it is his last day. Health issues or no health issues none of us know when we are living our last day.

As far as finances, have you thought about applying for SS disability? You may qualify for it.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread