reestronaut

Greenie
May 19, 2015
Norman, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very very old and secluded cemetery in an unincorporated area. I have no intention at all to hunt on the actual cemetery where the graves are, just the area around it. Is there any shame in doing this? I did find one name of someone in charge of a website, but I am still awaiting permission.

Also, for those who have hunted around old cemeteries, have you found anything at all?

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted the roadway into our local rural cemetery a few years back. On the far side was a huge tree, so I hunted around it. Got a nice signal on the DFX so, down I went. At about 7 inches I pulled 3 large cents and a half cent from the Bank of Montreal Canada. I have always wondered if the coins were for digging a grave and fell out of a workers pocket as they rested, or from a visitor to the cemetery. All 4 coins were from the mid 1800s,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the posts limited to comments about the areas surrounding the cemetery, not hunting the cemetery...

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware that it's very common in old cemeteries for graves to be outside the cemetery proper; some deceased, such as suicides, were not permitted to be buried in consecrated ground.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware that it's very common in old cemeteries for graves to be outside the cemetery proper; some deceased, such as suicides, were not permitted to be buried in consecrated ground.

Hi Coinbug,
Curious for education here. Was the prohibition of burial of deceased by such acts as suicide a denominational belief or Geographical ruling/belief? Very interesting information.
Thanks!
Tina

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surrounding area should be ok, your just coin searching.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've coin hunted cemeteries and their perimeters, the perimeters have produced many more coins than the actual cemeteries themselves and I think the reason is that people have had to park their cars, buggies, outside the cemetery because of lack of space during a funeral, and lost items getting in and out of their vehicles. Might also be because cemeteries were a hot spot to coinshoot back in the 70's, I can remember several stories in the treasure mags which inspired me to hunt them, and I imagine the majority have have been pretty well picked over. I've been told by guys who would get together in a group and drive from cemetery to cemetery hunting coins. I won't hunt in a cemetery now, as I consider it a waste of time, but will check the edges that border roads. I'm not disrespectable of the dead and never dug on a grave, just staying on the pathways and areas between graves, I don't think the dead care, but living relatives might get upset. I never had any problems with anybody though while coinshooting in them, even with people present. Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touchy subject, like I've said before, you guys have my permission to hunt on my grave when I die. I would be happy for the visit from a T H'er. That being said we don't out of respect for the living family. It is what it is, funerals are for the living. Just MHO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread