SO... You want a detector to make money ? The rude reality of "life in the slow lane"

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If treasure hunting and metal detecting ever starts to become a “job,” that is
when I find a new hobby. :skullflag:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made my fortune with metal detecting and now are semi retired, I live in a huge house in the country on a old Roman road. I drive a Bentley and have a huge motor home I use for the little detecting I do now. My kids were all put through university with the money I earned from detecting, and have travelled all around the world paid for with my little swinger.:thumbsup:

But we all like to dream and I'm no different.:laughing7:

SS

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbies: Lapidary, Glassblowing, Fishing, boating, and metal detecting.
I spent dollars and will spend more its all fun!
Did I expect to make dollars heck no.
It's the thrill of doing different things in life.
I still enjoy these toy's. Life can be ended at anytime.
Time to get off the couch and go hunt some trash. Maybe some kid will have left me a car or mom lost her jewelry.
Then maybe someone tossed a beaver tail or a bottle cap.
Just do it and enjoy life!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434048825.374709.jpg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting has been very good to me.
I cannot complain.
I love the hunt.
The return is icing on the cake.

I grew up in this lifestyle and have 40 years of detecting and underwater experience under my belt.

I will dive till I cannot breath.
And I will detect till the day I can no longer walk or bend.

It is my nature... And who I am.

I am a seeker ... and I am a finder.

You can make a living...
You can become wealthy...
You can change your life with one major find...

This I know first hand.

The purpose of this thread was to open the eyes of those who wanted "a get rich quick" idea...
And thought metal detecting was the answer.
And the brutal reality that comes with this "idea".

Most will not...
And a few just may...
BUT neither will know...
If they do not play.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well said arrc !

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We (the regulars) don't hunt for profit. We know it's not there.

How many clad coins would it take to pay off or machines, accessories, gas, parking and so on.... it's not about profit for me.

It's about getting out, getting a little exercise, and enjoying the outdoors in the woods or on the beach.

Look at the coin roll hunters. They go through thousands of dollars in coins to find $5 in silver. Probably works out to about 12 cents an hour.

My beach hunts generally work out in the negative when I factor in all the financials of the hunt.

But it's a hobby- not a living.

I get just as much (sometimes more) enjoyment out of finding a 1963 pull tab as I do a cheap ring.

Are those Pull Tabs the long skinny ones that don't have any Circle part?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing, I don't think I am the only person like this but I have never sold a find and never will, if anything I would make a display to put on loan at the local town historical society museum. I think of what I find as history and it's context, not dollar signs. That's just how I am, not sure about others.

I never sell any relics that I Dig (they are worth way more to me than retail prices) Did sell some jewelry back in 2001 that I regret 70 gram 10 k necklace for $ 100 :BangHead::BangHead: & a thick 14 k gold band for $20 .

Actually I think I may be ahead in the hobby $ wise , but the task of selling everything would put me in the hole.
Gas costs me the most , but i'd be driving anyway, also not spending $ while hunting.

I think I paid $349 for my first machine , My XLT was free. , Tejon $400 + 100 or so for new Coil.
$15 Bullseye Pointer, (NOW Dead), Have a 1266X that was given to me ,needs work ,I now have the parts to fix it , Now I need to just do it. Got a brand new Garrett Pro pointer for $10 -(Don't Ask), Just before that I paid est $170 for my TRX pointer.

What set me ahead was finding a small cache of gold & diamond Rinds 4 years ago ..Appraised $27,000 Retail ...sooo Maybe $ 10-15,000 to the right buyer.

Want a new machine so that would set me back a-lot.
&
In the last 3 years Scrap Copper , Brass & the Aluminium /Alloy Family has brought in a couple $100. + I have 3 + years of Clad that I have not even cleaned yet.

Like a Veteran Hunter once told me if your Detecting for the $ , "Hunt the Beaches ,Preferably Where the Rich & Famous Hang out, & hunt around the World, Hawaii , Caribbean , Italy , Spain ,USA, . But like they say it takes Money to make Money".

To me it's the thrill of the hunt & when I score It only makes me want more.

Arrc is right IMO 90% of accessible sites are hard hunted.

If I had the Money & was legal I'd Dredge many Rivers & streams Not only to see what I could find but to clean them Up.

Davers Rant
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have friends here. I find a ring once in a while. I drink a beer once in a while, and smoke fine tobacco in my pipe. Some days I even catch a fish or two. Who needs to be rich when you got all of this?

Good thread, Archie.

I need to have your attitude , but without the Beer... That stuff makes me crazy. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to get off the couch and go hunt some trash. Maybe some kid will have left me a car or mom lost her jewelry.

Agree Totally!

Yesterday I found a 1980's Good humor Ice Cream Truck.
Made by Hot-wheels.
Also 1 Cent , About a pound of copper pipe , A brass bolt, & about 50 discarded old car tires that I was unable to take with me.
84 o 75% humidity ,70 Dew point Right after a brief pop up shower. So higher Humidity is likely.
In 20 Min , I was dripping with sweat , but go the hunting bug out.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agree Totally!

Yesterday I found a 1980's Good humor Ice Cream Truck.
Made by Hot-wheels.
Also 1 Cent , About a pound of copper pipe , A brass bolt, & about 50 discarded old car tires that I was unable to take with me.
84 o 75% humidity ,70 Dew point Right after a brief pop up shower. So higher Humidity is likely.
In 20 Min , I was dripping with sweat , but got the hunting bug out. :laughing7: :thumbsup:

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday I packed up 2 of my detectors ($1150 & $950) my NEL coils ($159 & $139) 2 pinpointers (@ $119 each) Lesche digger ($45) Auvio headphones ($100) Went out for 10+ hours and found 2 silver dimes and $5.75 in clad.
If I keep this up I may be able to retire 10 years after I am dead LOL!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a hard knock life...

And you all may do this .. day in and day out...

And then again...

Today may be the day. :P

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread, but to sum it up, who here would retire from this hobby if they made a major find $$$? I know I wouldn't, might take a nice long vacation but my detectors are coming with me.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday I packed up 2 of my detectors ($1150 & $950) my NEL coils ($159 & $139) 2 pinpointers (@ $119 each) Lesche digger ($45) Auvio headphones ($100) Went out for 10+ hours and found 2 silver dimes and $5.75 in clad.
If I keep this up I may be able to retire 10 years after I am dead LOL!

Def , best to have 2 or more of every thing.
10 hours 2 Silver dimes & 5.75 in clad is a pretty good day IMO.
Almost 10 Dollars of your money back.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a balancing act of variables.
There are several categories of treasure hunters.
Most of us are not the full time professional treasure hunters, that makes it a job.
We are the part time, fun/thrill seekers. Looking for that which is hidden, just for the pleasure of it.

This is my own personal pursuit of happiness, a way to de stress and relax, have a little fun, and possibly find a few small treasures, at my own pace, time, and places.
I keep my little treasures. The detector was a gift, but I'm pretty sure it's paid for by now.
Again, one of the few hobbies that pays for it's self, with an even chance for all at finding something truly awesome now and then....or the big one! Lol!

Duke

Jun 11, 2009
Woodstock N.Y.
Detector(s) used
QXT
if you arent interested in history do not metal detect yeah, potential money is there but only icing on the clad, it was suppose to say cake but autocorrect said clad so if that's not fitting I don't know what is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread