Bounty Hunter 1100 vs Garret 250

bigbankclub

Jun 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post; but I guess I'll find out.

I have the option of getting a Bounty Hunter 1100 or a Garret 250 & I was considering the more pricey one from Garret; but even the most expensive from Bounty Hunter was less dollars.

I'm new and I have no idea what findings could be here. I have access to beach (salt water), acres of land (have already found loads of items from cast iron cooking pots, horse shoes, car parts, farm equipment, many items from the early 1800's... no old coins or precious items.. considering the metal detector to help in this).

I know the pros and cons of the soil balancing and such; but I have tested a Garret 250 on the beach and located a steel spike from a ship, that was 2 feet deep.

So ideas would be nice and I'm looking at cost vs. time. I live in a climate where the Winter season out weighs the summer months. Plus I can't see myself doing this for hours, unless I hit a big.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coils involved make a difference. I'd go for the Garrett 250, many people here started with that model and have posted good comments regarding the 250.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Loco says x10.
You will be pleased initially purchasing an Ace 250.
Please also know you will require other tools, foremost a Garrett ProPointer and superior digger.
GL
Peace ✌

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the 250 all the way.better resale if you upgrade,tons of youtube how to videos,coil options avail.the list goes on

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are quick to discount bounthunters but they have a warranty 2 and a half times longer that the garretts. I've bought two ace 250s and a couple of different bounty hunters and the only one that broke was one of the 250s. I don't know the model your referencing but the tracker 4 is imo better than the 250.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tesoro Compadre blows both the Garrett and the BH away, costs less, and has a lifetime warranty.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre blows both the Garrett and the BH away, costs less, and has a lifetime warranty.

If you can deal with only one tone but that's a whole new subject. I went from a tracker4 to a vaquero and was very unpleasantly surprised in it having only one tone when a $100 bounthunters has multiple tones.

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
My first detector was a 250, I just recently upgraded to a Xterra 705. I really think the 250 is a solid little machine. I have put mine through some hard roads, and it's still working like a champ. You will find a lot with it, and its VERY easy to learn on. I think simplicity of the interface, and the amazing amount of adjustments on it, in itself is a great reason why it should be your first detector. It isn't as deep as maybe the vaquero, but it does have multiple tones, and will still get deep enough to get most of what you would be finding anyways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread