Got permission to dig a historical local site

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoohoo! I sent a letter to my town's historical society, asking if I could detect on their property and I received a response saying the board unanimously granted me permission to detect. The property holds an old train station that was built in 1881 and there used to be a restaurant/bar kind of thing on the premises during WWI. Holy crap, there has got to be something cool here.

I'm still not sure how to go about doing this. Do I limit myself to just one visit? I'm not sure if I can just go there whenever I like once I've secured permission or if I should arrange an appointment each time (if there will be more than one time). I assume the latter because the society would like to document anything I find. I'm excited I have permission to do this, but I want to be sure I do it right. :) Would it be in my best interests to request written permission from the society in case random people or the police approach me while I'm detecting?

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!! Go as often as you can and as long as you are finding stuff. Get the name of the Director of the Historical Society and have his phone number handy if the police give you any issues.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Written permission is always best, but never force the issue.
First, plan on digging the most pristine plugs you've ever dug. Use a drop cloth and remove all trash.
A site like this, I usually plan on 3 trips if allowed. Initially, "cherry pick" the area. Dig high tones mostly looking for silver and hot spots. Then return and dig all. This should reveal deeper targets on a third trip.
Many variables to consider. Three trips can only be a beginning on productive sites.
Show/give everything to the historical society. This will hopefully gain more permissions. Plus, it's about the history.
Congrats on your permission.
Keep us posted.
GL
Peace ✌

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , I would get the permission in writing ! you might at the same time be able to get permission for a few hunts within a
prescribed period of time (blanket permission for 3 or 4 hunts ) . Having the written permit with you as you hunt will take
care of any "nosy do gooders" that may happen by . Since this is an Historical Society , I think it would be appropriate
(albeit a bit beyond the call of duty ) to put together a modest display case with some items /relics - this will
establish your legitimacy beyond doubt .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would disagree with argentium and cincinnati-kid on the "written" thing. Because sometimes people/entities that could say "yes", sometimes get funky when told "put that in writing". Ie.: it might only just conjur up legal implications, blah blah. And verbal is good enough, for legal purposes. JMHO.

As for the repeat visits thing: I always treat those permissions as good for on-going as well. Unless they told me otherwise. An exception might be something like an inhabited house, where it would seem more appropriate. But for other locations, I do not feel the need to repeatedly ask or announce each time. Because that too could also eventually tire someone out, that they might think "gee is this yahoo going to keep calling me each day?"

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How dare you disagree Tom in Ca! :) (joke)
Tom in Ca makes a valid point. Folks don't want to be bothered.
Enjoy your permission. Just don't dig incorrectly.
Peace ✌

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it !! Sounds like it could be a great site. Pick up garbage as you go, cover your holes nice and be ready for the " what are you doing", " what happened", " is that a gieger counter ", " do you have permission ", and so on questions---if people see you picking up trash, it really helps--- -HAVE FUN :thumbsup:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, hope you find many awesome coins and relics. Just go into it with an open mind. The site may have been pounded in the past prior to the historical society taking it over and may have been nighthawked over the years.

Again, best of luck and post some pics of your finds.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read all the comments but me personally I would just stop by police station introduce my self and tell them how you got permission from historic board. Then they will at least know who you are and good chance they will check to see if your liget. That's what I would do or have done.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoohoo! I sent a letter to my town's historical society, asking if I could detect on their property and I received a response saying the board unanimously granted me permission to detect. The property holds an old train station that was built in 1881 and there used to be a restaurant/bar kind of thing on the premises during WWI. Holy crap, there has got to be something cool here.

I'm still not sure how to go about doing this. Do I limit myself to just one visit? I'm not sure if I can just go there whenever I like once I've secured permission or if I should arrange an appointment each time (if there will be more than one time). I assume the latter because the society would like to document anything I find. I'm excited I have permission to do this, but I want to be sure I do it right. :) Would it be in my best interests to request written permission from the society in case random people or the police approach me while I'm detecting?

above you say
I sent a letter to my town's historical society, asking if I could detect on their property and I received a response saying the board unanimously granted me permission to detect.

how did you get the Response ?

Phone call ?

Letter ?

osmosis ?

If you received a Letter back, stick it in your car & go for it.
hit the place hard and as long as you can.
Just don't forget to let them see all your finds.

If you received the word orally , It all depends on your personal beliefs.

If they voted at a Town meeting, and it was Unanimous, it should be part of the official record.
so it would take another meeting & vote to change their Mind.

if the town wasn't involved in the vote, and If the Historical Board owns it &
voted separately and said Go for it, they have records also.
I'd be hunting it already, unless I got the word via a dream :laughing7:
If approached tell them what you told us.

What I would actually do is Go hunt it.
the next day or time they are open, I'd take the finds in, Show them to them,
ask them if they want any of it . and before you leave tell them,
not ask.. "tell Them" I will be back with the next bunch of finds as soon as
I get the chance. Don't plant seeds in their minds,
where they need to think once or forever :tongue3:
they will tell you when they are satisfied.
& Perhaps it will be to have you hit another spot for them.

Why throw a monkey wrench in the fan to see if it will chop it in half or stop it ?

I didn't read all the comments but me personally I would just stop by police station introduce my self and tell them how you got permission from historic board. Then they will at least know who you are and good chance they will check to see if your legit. That's what I would do or have done.

I have done this already when having permission from a real estate agent
for woods in an area I was a stranger. they just wrote it up as an incident. so
if they got a call they didn't need to respond.

OH & Be nice to everyone who stops by. Talk history, Brag about your finds & Love of Detecting. You may not only get Leads & offers.
You may be talking to someone who voted yes to you hunting there :laughing7:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
You know, it occurred to me after reading the additional comments here like "go to the police station and alert them", etc... That we md'rs are an odd-bunch: We knock ourselves silly to "get permission" (sometimes for even the silliest places like city sandboxes, thinking we "need permission"). Then once we get GET the permission (even "unanimous" in the case of the OP here), then we STILL worry ourselves silly wondering "is it good enough" and "should I have it in writing" and "should I alert them upon coming and going each time".

Sheesk, I think we md'rs make this more difficult than it is. As if we're dangerous and handling nuclear waste and dynamite, that needs scores of sanctions and affirmations wherever we go. I would never argue with a yes, and would leave it as simple as possible.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it occurred to me after reading the additional comments here like "go to the police station and alert them", etc... That we md'rs are an odd-bunch: We knock ourselves silly to "get permission" (sometimes for even the silliest places like city sandboxes, thinking we "need permission"). Then once we get GET the permission (even "unanimous" in the case of the OP here), then we STILL worry ourselves silly wondering "is it good enough" and "should I have it in writing" and "should I alert them upon coming and going each time".

Sheesk, I think we md'rs make this more difficult than it is. As if we're dangerous and handling nuclear waste and dynamite, that needs scores of sanctions and affirmations wherever we go. I would never argue with a yes, and would leave it as simple as possible.

Very well said :thumbsup:

what more do ya need a billboard saying He is allowed here ?

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeehaw!?
Don't know how that applies, but ima laughing ��!
Peace ✌

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@jeff of PA, I sent the society a letter and included my address, phone number and email address. I received an email from one of the board members (my old teacher, actually) sent from his phone. I figured I'd give them all possible forms of contact and let them decide how to respond to me, if at all. :)

Seems opinions on written permission are a bit divided. Luckily, the police station is right down the road from the spot I'm going to detect, so I can easily pop down there and give them a heads-up. At the very least, should I detect the grounds on a day when the museum isn't open, I might ask a board member for a phone number in case the police want to call to verify that I have permission to be there.

I also wonder about how long to stay there once I start detecting. Until it gets dark? Just a couple hours? I also wonder if they'd let me come back whenever I like once I've been shown the property lines or if I'd need to ask permission each time. I almost feel like I'm being greedy if I were to ask to detect more than once, even though I'd really want to. Haha, I really do feel like I'm trying to handle nuclear waste and just trying to be so damn careful when I'm probably freaking out more than the property owners.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@jeff of PA, I sent the society a letter and included my address, phone number and email address. I received an email from one of the board members (my old teacher, actually) sent from his phone. I figured I'd give them all possible forms of contact and let them decide how to respond to me, if at all. :)

Seems opinions on written permission are a bit divided. Luckily, the police station is right down the road from the spot I'm going to detect, so I can easily pop down there and give them a heads-up. At the very least, should I detect the grounds on a day when the museum isn't open, I might ask a board member for a phone number in case the police want to call to verify that I have permission to be there.

I also wonder about how long to stay there once I start detecting. Until it gets dark? Just a couple hours? I also wonder if they'd let me come back whenever I like once I've been shown the property lines or if I'd need to ask permission each time. I almost feel like I'm being greedy if I were to ask to detect more than once, even though I'd really want to. Haha, I really do feel like I'm trying to handle nuclear waste and just trying to be so damn careful when I'm probably freaking out more than the property owners.

IMO your over thinking things.
If you can print the Email you have your Permission Slip.

If you don't have a printer Can you forward it to someone who can print it out for you ? Really you don't need it on Paper.But seriously the Historical people who gave you permission Know they gave you permission.

Stopping by the Police station Can't hurt if you feel you don't
want to be bothered by them while your detecting.
if some Busy body reports you . I personally only
alerted the police when I would be in the woods behind houses & didn't want to be seeing
Snipers & Choppers :tongue3:

Hunt only daylight hours simply to prevent Busy Bodies & the Paranoid from complaining. length of day depends on your energy imo.

As I said above take your finds in as often as Possible for them to see,
Tell them you'll bring more as you find them. don't worry about limits unless they bring it up.

That would be my suggestion & what I would do.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Since when does the need to "notify the police" enter into this ? That's odd. I mean, if your neighbor invites you over for a BBQ, should one "notify the police" that you'll "be at your neighbors house" ? I don't get it.

If a police questions you and says "what are you doing here?" (which I highly doubt they care less, but .... let's just say), then you just tell them "I have permission" . What's with all this "the world hates us mdr's mindset" ?

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good point. I have only felt the need to give police heads up just a few times only because they would of been called or appeared anyway. The time I wanted to go around knocking on doors was once. Will say though in recent years they seem to be showing up more often in my area being nosie. Hay you have permission to be out in that field. Yeah I own it, or yeah my friend owns it, you have permission to be in your front lawn? Seems like now a days they see anyone not mding in a town park they automatic think your tresspassing. Just a few weeks ago I was out in a field and people stopped an were filming me. I'm like WT.. is this world coming to. No, not that I don't mind talking but its like ok here we go again. Agree with you Tom. Like the saying "turning a mole hill into a mountain".

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Seems like now a days they see anyone not mding in a town park they automatic think your tresspassing. ....

I have not seen that mindset in places I've hunted. If anything, it's the opposite, where they assume you're doing some job, or know-what-you're-doing.

But then again, this also depends on how one conducts themselves. If you have a skittish "oh no does he see me" evasive demeanor, THEN SURE ! Someone's gonna think "gee, what is that person doing". But if you "act like you own the place", people will assume you know what you're doing.

So those places where you feel like md'rs are a big target "destined to be asked what are you doing?", it might be strictly via the way you lock eyes with passerbys, or have that looming thought (that is subconsciously picked up by the persons passing you by).

In any case, I have not seen/experienced this level of "md'rs destined to get scrutiny" thing.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't get blamed when someone sees you mding and they take it upon themselves that they can too, but they are sloppy and you get blamed. My worst nightmare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions