Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I always ask permission and I never offer a split. So far I've never had anyone ask for a cut but if I have a really good day on someones property I might give them some little trinket of value to say thanks. It goes a long way towards being able to go back. You'd be surprised how much joy you can give to a little old lady just by handing her a Mercury dime.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two people want to split finds with me. I didn't have a problem with it, but ironically, I never hunted either property. Both wanted me to call first, but I couldn't reach either when I wanted to hunt. I've had many others excited to let me hunt and just wanted to see what I found. They didn't want anything more. One lady gave me permission and I found and returned her class ring.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've gained permission to metal detect land of others, show Everything. Small relics/items meaningless to you, may be of significance to land/homeowner.
On the rare occasion valuables are unearthed, a 50/50 split is standard between land/homeowner and detectorists, bottle hunters and or anyone that finds treasure.
It's the right thing to do...
Peace ✌

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rarely do I ever have to negotiate the finds as far as what the homeowner is wanting to keep... On my end it is implied that I will keep all that I find... Twice actually I had been working on gaining a permission, was told that I had to split my finds, and my retort was, "Sure, if you want to pay for half of my equipment" ...both times they backed off and let me hunt at will... I have found dog tags that are less than say 15 years old...or within range of them living there, I offer those to homeowners, and usually that's all it takes to make them happy.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually get the "sure, go ahead, but if you find a fortune we split it okay"? With this in mind I keep all the finds unless I find a valuable cache, then we split it. I have yet to find a valuable cache. :BangHead: I have yet to be asked to find a piece of jewelry, if I ever do I will ask for a detailed description. If I find what they described, or close to it. They get it. I also offer relics that I am not interested in. Some people will gladly give permission just to appease their curiosity as to what may in their ground and want to see everything, including the trash. I may be lucky, but I have always been able to keep all my finds.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread