VLF Coil Interchangeability

sweetsummer1

Jun 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding VLF metal detectors:

I already purchased a VLF metal with a 200mm concentric coil. Just wanted to know if it is possible to change the coil to a bigger size for deeper detection depth?
:tongue3:
I have done some research and some websites suggest that you can change coils, but can you use any VLF coil interchangeably?

Really appreciate the help
Thanks

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In short, no. The coil needs to be for a particular frequency. As long as the frequency matches you're probably OK, but it's possible the connectors won't match. There is plenty of info on the 'net regarding which coils fit which machine.
Jim

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a lot of latitude in VLF detectors. Yes, they are tuned, but the wavelengths are miles long and our coils are only inches wide.

The same detector can use a 5" or a 15" coil and any in between. The problem will be that the various manufacturers all use different connectors and varying technology. Some put components in the coil itself so you're stuck buying their brand, or accessory brands that pay their licensing.

In short, you mostly have to use a coil designed for your particular make and model of detector.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I think as long as the frequency is the same, it would work.
But as the esteemed Jim in Idaho and most knowledgeable Charlie P say, connectors are proprietary.
A Garrett won't fit a Minelab. A Minelab won't fit a Tesoro etc.
Coil connector modifications? Hmmm...
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread