Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so here goes,
I have a Garrett AT Pro
Stock headphones
Garrett Pro pointer

I want to hunt in the rain without damaging my gear.
I heard wear a hoodie and stock headphones will be fine
And wrap propointer in plastic wrap and rubber bands to keep the plastic wrap on.

Any thoughts or tips on hunting until I can buy waterproof headphones and propointer?

All input welcome,
Just don't want to ruin my gear lol

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think rain will hurt your pinpointer unless you really soak it. I have held my thumb over speaker hole and rinsed with water several times. As far as head phones go just don't let them get soaked. Make sure all your connections are tight and a little rain is good for the soil

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Waynos,

If you wish to hunt in the rain on a continual basis, purchasing waterproof headphones and pin pointer will be a good investment.

Before purchasing a waterproof Garrett pin pointer I would place a band-aid over the speaker and carefully wrap with black electrical tape (keeps dirt and water out), will last a long time. The second weak part of the pointer is the push-button assembly, so cut a sandwich bag and wrap an inch higher and lower on the button; secure with black tape. This also lasts for a long time. This will weatherproof the pointer, not make it waterproof. Even with the purchase of the new “Garrett Carrot”, I still use the above setup on my other Garrett pin pointers – works for me.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Doc

OP
OP
W

Waynos

May 28, 2015
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Waynos,

If you wish to hunt in the rain on a continual basis, purchasing waterproof headphones and pin pointer will be a good investment.

Before purchasing a waterproof Garrett pin pointer I would place a band-aid over the speaker and carefully wrap with black electrical tape (keeps dirt and water out), will last a long time. The second weak part of the pointer is the push-button assembly, so cut a sandwich bag and wrap an inch higher and lower on the button; secure with black tape. This also lasts for a long time. This will weatherproof the pointer, not make it waterproof. Even with the purchase of the new “Garrett Carrot”, I still use the above setup on my other Garrett pin pointers – works for me.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Doc

Thanks Doc
I electrical taped the crap out of the speaker,on/off button and light for now.
Headphones best I can do is wear a hoodie unless there is another method.

I will be buying the Garrett carrot and waterproof headphones in a few months.
My intention isn't underwater hunting..just don't want the weather stopping me from hunting lol

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine and pinpointer ain't gonna be hurt by rain.
If you wanna submerge a ProPointer, adhere RV sealant to speaker and on/off switch. You'll be fine. ( Doing so will void warranty).
I've had the stock Garrett headphones �� in torrential downpours. They still work fine, but in mho are junk headphones.
Buy a simple headphone adapter for your AT, and any set of headphones will work. They are easily located online.
AquaChigger, on YouTube has a tutorial vid on waterproofing ProPointers.
GL
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread