Advice for the new guy

OldGringo

Jun 19, 2015
Missouri City, Tx.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be receiving the new machine tomorrow and was wondering what single piece of advice you would offer the new guy to help my first outing a success? All offerings would be appreciated. Will be a Garrett 350 and Garrett pointer.
Have a great holiday..

OG

"Nothing says let's celebrate America like consuming alcohol and playing with explosives!"

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome OldGringo.
Last time someone called me that, quite a bit of furniture was destroyed! ;)
What machine are you awaiting?
Peace ✌

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello OldGringo,

Congratulations on the new detector! My signal piece of advice, since the machine is arriving tomorrow is to download the user manual and read it multiple times to get a metal picture of the operation. Then go on You Tube and watch any user or instructional videos on the machine. Both will help you in the learning curve. There are many other tips and tricks, but this should get you going. Lastly, learn how to properly extract an artifact, again watch a "how to" video on target recovery.

Most importantly, learn all you can about the hobby and have a wonderful time detecting.

Regards,

Doc

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read the manual, use the machine, read the manual, use the machine, read the manual use the machine.
Read this, some info is a little outdated but most is still applicable. At lease 2 sitting to read this so it sinks in
Truth About Search Coils
also this
Halo Effect
Have fun!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice neat clean detecting habits ( like you were never there ) or as close as you can get.good luck and have fun .

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Welcome to T Net!

This is a fun hobby, enjoy yourself!
The aforementioned videos are excellent sources of information and help.

Learn your detector, this is the hands on part, may require a little time and experience.

Most of us start in our own yards learning to find, pinpoint, and dig. When that skill is perfected you're ready for public places.

Most of all have fun! In this hobby you never know what you will find!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Advice:

1) don't bet on race horses.

2) don't stick your fingers in light sockets.

3) don't buy Rolex watches from strange men standing on street corners in trench coats.

4) look both way before crossing the street.

Good luck !

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though early on some of what you read in the manual may be a bit confusing and many of the suggestions here may be as well, I'll offer that by putting as much field time with the machine as you can. After some hours on the machine much of what was confusing will begin to make sense and become understandable.
luvsdux

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not forget the batteries!

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never let your date leave anything of hers at your house.
Never eat at a diner called "Mom's".
Never play poker with a guy named "Doc".

You'll be fine.

Adventure-Seeker

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this game as well. Considering the AT Pro. It seems to be a fairly good unit and isn't too expensive. Any input? I want a good machine that won't cost me a fortune.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig everything. Then when you think you have it figured out......dig everything! Have fun, good luck to ya, and happy hunting! Welcome to T-net, Mike

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net Adventure-Seeker, the AT Pro is a good all around detector. Best advice is learn well what ever detector you get, the detector is only as good as the operator. A good operator with a starter detector can out perform an inexperienced operator with a top of the line detector. Know your detector!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Love my AT Pro. Got a dime 7" deep that visually IDed correctly (80-85) with every pass in moderately mineralized hard dry dirt. It was loud as I use STD mode. Air tests 10" on dime at sens 7 of 8. Dealers can't put a price less than $595 on internet, but you may get a lower quote by e-mail or phone. Best wishes, George (MN)

I'm new to this game as well. Considering the AT Pro. It seems to be a fairly good unit and isn't too expensive. Any input? I want a good machine that won't cost me a fortune.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions