Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
White vinegar is an excellent odor neutralizer. You
may want to try that in a small area first.
Kilz is quite toxic so you have to have a 3M brand mask
With the dual respirators that works keeping fumes out.
I was a licensed painting contractor for a number of years and have a lot of
experience with kilz. I'm under the impression it doesn't work
well on surfaces that have moisture like concrete!
Best of luck!

With having a problem with the lungs already I'm really not looking forward to even using a product like this as it has a long after life of off gassing. Most don't know that most coating(or products) emit fumes for a minimum of 28 days to cure, and this doesn't work out well for inside the home. It would be great if I was a person that has a bullet proof immune system and they're not bothered by off gassing of products.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
finally something I actually know something about.first the kilz idea isnt a bad idea.only the oil base version should be considered.There is a better answer made by zinnser called b.i.n.

b.i.n. is a shellac based primer.nothing,not even tannin acids come through this stuff.odors are easy work for it.It is only cleanable with denatured alcohol,so just figure to throw away any application tools.Do not spray it,its too fast and hard to clean the pump,and expensive.A professional painter can spray it,not homeowner.alcohol base is explosive,like lacquer spraying so only a pro should be involved in spraying it.kilz oil too for that matter.

with respirator,NO source of possible ignition,plenty of ventillation problem solve forever.
cheers
Have you used just shellac with anything added except for the denatured alcohol for a carrier/mixer?

vtbeagle

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rug doctor sells an enzemye cleaner . Must be kept moist. It works. Bought used couch from someone who had rabbit loose on the porch where the couch was, they said it was coffee stains under the cushions!!! Brought it home and holy cow! What a smell. But the stuff works. You got my sympathies!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to get a weed sprayer (or the power sprayer option they sell) and a couple gallons of this . . .

Pet Odor Control: Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Clean-up

It is an enzyme urine odor neutralizer. - but you have to add as much as the rabbit produced to soak in and reach as far as the original urine did.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pepperj...b.i.n. is simply shellac with soilds for stain covering.because there is less shellac per volume it it a bit less money that pure shellac.being alcohol based it dries in minutes and stops off gassing in only a few hours.pure shellac,or shellac cut no more that 20% would do the job also

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the Biocide system? Look it up. It is not cheap, but they claim money back guarantee. Do know it works in a car. Like magic.

Hope this works for you. Good luck!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you tried the Biocide system? Look it up. It is not cheap, but they claim money back guarantee. Do know it works in a car. Like magic.

Hope this works for you. Good luck!

Where were a month ago OJG? :laughing7: If it works it's a gift at that price. Wife just keeps saying get a jack hammer, and I'm just shacking my head no and looking for a cheaper solution.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read the post today. Have been away. But, if you read their claims, they say it even removes skunk smell? It is worth a try. I hope it works for you. You need to talk to them to see how much you need for the area you are treating. Let us know.

Good Luck

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi-

Have you considered floor tiling that area. Sealed in for good!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi-

I believe the OP said it was not only on the poured floor but soaked up into the stud work also. Not a good problem.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just read the post today. Have been away. But, if you read their claims, they say it even removes skunk smell? It is worth a try. I hope it works for you. You need to talk to them to see how much you need for the area you are treating. Let us know.

Good Luck
I'd trade for a skunk any day, rather like the smell. I guess they come out of hibernation and start a spraying, or one gets hit on the highway, and that reminds me spring is in the air.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe the OP said it was not only on the poured floor but soaked up into the stud work also. Not a good problem.
It's in the load bearing interior wall plate and studding, also the exterior stud wall.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi-

Had tile in the other place, kills the legs and feet walking on it all the time. Wanting wood floors at this place, there's more forgiving on the bones.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey northern buddy.... I truly wish I was close enough to help yea.... I spray, brush or apply whatever you needed to relieve your problem. Best wishes.... Brad

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey northern buddy.... I truly wish I was close enough to help yea.... I spray, brush or apply whatever you needed to relieve your problem. Best wishes.... Brad

I did a triple bleach treatment the other day scrubbed it for a few hours, then left it, little bit of a change, but not great.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a story a old timer was telling me about his childhood during the Great Depression era. One winter it was so cool they could not keep proper heat in the barn for animals so, two cows and few hogs and chickens stayed in the house for a few winters.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reminds me of a story a old timer was telling me about his childhood during the Great Depression era. One winter it was so cool they could not keep proper heat in the barn for animals so, two cows and few hogs and chickens stayed in the house for a few winters.

Heard of a neighbour keeping the horse in the kitchen, and another person keeping 20+ hives in the basement for keeping and it generated lots of warmth she said. The bees I can understand the horse was just a pet that everyone still is :icon_scratch::laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a triple bleach treatment the other day scrubbed it for a few hours, then left it, little bit of a change, but not great.

I still think ya ought to cut the drywall a foot up on the studs (if it's drywalled) and removed the shown insulation. Then Kilz the woodwork showing and seal the floor also. Then replace the insulation and reinstall new drywall, mud and paint. Sounds pretty simple from where I'm sitting.... :occasion14:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh this thread brings back bad memories!!! I've dealt with cat pee wood antique furniture and houses. No offense to the people suggesting enzyme cleaners or eliminators . It has never worked for me. It helped, but on damp days or the heat the smell came back. We used that stuff in pump yard sprayers soaking everything down. Maybe we didn't have the right kind. The best thing we found was to scrub it up the best you can and seal it in with anything that seals. with two or three heavy coats. Urethane, kilz, anything that seals.

I had a landing that a dog peed on for years. One day I decided to scrub it to remove the smell. By the end of the day the landing and staircase was tore out and laying in the yard. She had to use a ladder to do laundry for a month. Just a big hole from the kitchen to backdoor to basement! I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! Oh ya, there might have been a few beers involved with that decision. :laughing7:

The wood furniture the same thing. Tried cleaners, and about every home remedy type concoction on the net.Citrus,milk, mix baking soda and lemons, stand on your head, spin around, ask the the pet pee gods to make the smell go away while blowing out candle(2 times),Mix herbs, put them in your nose...etc....... The smell would be cut, and sometimes gone. but over time came back. cleaned everything, sealed every part with a couple of coats urethane inside and out. And haven't smelled it since. It was that or throw it away, so far it's worked and that was about 3 years ago.

Some of it was so bad that the legs were starting to rot from the acid of the pee. Some of that stuff didn't make it, and ended up trashed. Just to give an idea of how soaked some of it was.

Ohhh....Check your duct work too if you have any around where the rabbit was peeing....We ran into that too. It ran through the floor and into the duct work just a little bit is horrible when the air or heat comes on, and blows all through the house......After that house, I will never have an inside pet.....EVER! And I like animals!

And since I'm on the subject and rambling....:laughing7: If you live in a neighborhood where the neighbors have dogs and cats running around spraying your doors,porchs,basement windows etc.....We dumped bottles full of straight ammonia around all that stuff. It stopped them for a long time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread