mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was out with my buddy doing some detecting. I was in the water and he was on land. I was doing pretty good in the water found a old mercury dime can not tell the date a SS ring with a diamond, another ring can not find any marking on it and a child ring. We had only been there for 45 or 60 mins when I next thing I knew I was waking up in a ambulance heading to the hospital. My buddy told me that I fell into a deep drop off and I yelled his name and he pulled me out. They kept me over night to make sure I didn't get pneumonia. So now everyone is telling I have to wear a life jacket when I detect the water again. Hope the pic turns out....Matt

Attachments

• DSC_0118.JPG
    DSC_0118.JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 170

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy that was a close one. I am glad you are ok but maybe they are right about the jacket. That would have been a very bad day for your family if your buddy had not be there...stay safe.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What??!!!
Man, I'm glad you're ok.
What was the cause? I truly hope it never happens again.
Be well.
Peace ✌

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I am glad your ok. :thumbsup: No treasure is worth your life. Nice to hear that your going to wear a life vest in the future. I recon when I head up to thj north coast I ought to bring one. Thanks for posting this, I have learned a valuable lesson..:hello2:

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drowning seems like a terrible way to go, but everyone who survives says the same thing - they don't remember anything about it? Very Strange -

Glad you are doing well, be careful out there! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad you are OK! They make less bulky life vests that will not limit your movement very much. Congratulations on the finds, stay well and be careful.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are those kind that don't inflate until you pull a ring on it if you get in trouble. They are relatively light and not too bulky.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your ok

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers, super glad to hear you are ok! I'm an ex Navy man, always have and still do consider myself a very strong swimmer. I have respect for, but no fear of water. I have not given much thought to my own personal water safety, others yes, myself no. After reading your post here, I think I may ponder some personal safety measures! After all, unexpected things can, and do happen! Again mister, I am really glad to hear that you are well and able to enjoy the rest of your God given days! Oh, don't want to forget to say....nice finds there mister! Take care mlayers, Mike

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all yes I am very lucky my buddy was there. I have started a long time ago not to do anything by myself. I always fish, hunt and detect with someone else around. Plus I will be investing in a life jacket for my water detecting. I have done this for over 30 yrs and this one accendent has open my eyes. So all I can say is be safe out there never know where when something may happen.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAMNED IF YOU AINT LUCKY YOU MUST HAVE A GUARDIAN ANGEL IN THOSE FINDS SOMEWHERE. GOOD THING SOMEONE ELSE WAS WITH YOU.. HOPE YOU WILL BE OKAY . I DID THE SAME THING AS A KID AND EACH TIME I GO BACK IN THE WATER I ALWAYS VISION THAT DAY FOR I WAS DAMN LUCKY ALSO. BE SAFE MY FREIND AND PLEASE INVEST IN A LIFE VEST. FOR EVEN NOW I WILL WEAR ONE ,BEFORE I GO IN THE WATER.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! Close one. Good thing ya had a partner near by!!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang man, I'm glad you're okay. I can sympathize with you. My buddy and classmate pulled me out of the river when I got in trouble the afternoon before we were to graduate from high school. Could've been a sad day for my parents had God not put my friend there when I needed him.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great outcome to what the alternative might have been. I wear a PFD whenever I do anything in and around the water as I don't trust my skills for water survival, cold water, shock, it's my seatbelt for the water activity.
Inflatable PFDs

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are okay. Thank goodness you weren't hunting alone

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your ok now... It can happen fast can't it! I'm also glad your buddy was there to help.

3 years ago I'm standing on the grassy bank of the Duck River with my son and grandson fishing. Dyllan says he wants a Y stick to hold his rod like me. No problem. I got him one. Couldn't get it into the hard ground. No problem I'll just stick it in the mud on the edge of water. I put on purpose my foot into the water to brace myself to push down. There was NO water shore there at all. In a flash I did a head dive into the water. I went completely under and never did hit bottom. I came up, grabbed for the grassy shelf and held on. I couldn't get back up myself so they pulled me out laughing there butts off at me. Never did I realize we were sitting on a sheer drop off like that. I laughed later...

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank god you survived !!!!scary as heck I bet

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel pretty good CincinnatiKid I went back to work today. My buddy and me is going to go to Bass Pro and look at life jackets. I been water detecting off and on for the last 30 yrs and this is the first time anything like this has happen. So we are going to be safe then sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread