FaceAche

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've just joined this Facebook thing and I'm loving every moment, even though it seems to be all about people telling virtual acquaintances things they don't want to know. This week I've had five emails informing me that people I don't know are celebrating their birthdays and would I like to write something on their timeline.

Incredibly FB has just emailed me to announce that somebody I haven't seen for donkey's years has just changed their relationship status. Whatever that is! Even more incredible is that some other people I've never met at all 'like' that. Another email wants to know if I know someone I don't know.

But I'm feeling on top of the world. I've made 6,789 friends since I joined on April 1st (yes, I know) and most of them check up on me every day. I wonder how many will come to my funeral ... and will the few posts I've made be still there when I've long gone?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I refuse. So far I have avoided watching any episode of "Survivor", using an ATM, or participation in Facebook or Twitter.

These have become my life goals.

I'd rather say I know you from TreasureNet!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I are not on Facebook but most of our friends and family are. T-net is the only social media I do. But if I want to know what I am going to do, am doing, or have done they have seen it on Facebook. Or so it seems. We have become a society of keyboard junkys

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way!
FB is for teenagers and tweens and the vain.
We all love reflecting our lives and accomplishments. Reuniting with lost friends included.
But, if my friends want to reunite, they call on an actual "land line". Remember them?
And don't "tweet" me either. ;)
Seriously folks, social media is outta control. Are hugs and handshakes outdated?
Appears so...
Peace ✌

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way!
FB is for teenagers and tweens and the vain.
We all love reflecting our lives and accomplishments. Reuniting with lost friends included.
But, if my friends want to reunite, they call on an actual "land line". Remember them?
And don't "tweet" me either. ;)
Seriously folks, social media is outta control. Are hugs and handshakes outdated?
Appears so...
Peace ✌

I agree 100℅. 10 years from now kids won't know how to talk to each other face to face. Won't hardly do it now

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to FB I have found 4 Cousins I have never met..Located old friends from high school, ETC. Landline? people still have them?? j/k.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I joined Facebook in order to give many of the soldiers I served with a way to get in touch. I did get contacted by many old friends. I log in about once a month to see if anyone is looking for me.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope not gonna do it. I'm a pretty mellow even keeled person but in all honesty FB gives me the creeps and anxiety. If you met me you probably wouldn't believe that. Now for some reason even tho I don't go on facebook my email account keeps notifying me of people I may know from 30 years ago or events that have happened or folks waiting to hear from me. I will very soon shut down that account if I can't figure out how to stop the notifications and emails. My kids don't call each other they all communicate through facebook, then get upset with me because I don't follow them or pay attention to their "timeline" whatever the heck that is. One of two things will happen- either FB will eventually go the way of the hoola hoop and the world will be right again, or it will take over the computer world and I won't be on them anymore and the world will be right again, lol.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plain and Simple I Hate Facebook, Twitter & My space to name a few I heard of.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refuse. So far I have avoided watching any episode of "Survivor", using an ATM, or participation in Facebook or Twitter.

These have become my life goals.

I'd rather say I know you from TreasureNet!

This forum is all the social media I need.........
I might add that I refuse to watch (as you do) the Kardashi-nuts, the unreal housewives from anywhere, little brother, bachelorisms or any other show that endorses someone else's so-called "reality"..............
I also do my banking face to face and use a live checker at the grocery store.................
I've lost my appetite for fast food joints, but never took my tray and trash from the table............it may be menial, but busing tables is a job for someone out there............

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I are not on Facebook but most of our friends and family are. T-net is the only social media I do. But if I want to know what I am going to do, am doing, or have done they have seen it on Facebook. Or so it seems. We have become a society of keyboard junkys

My son's family used to host foreign exchange students when our oldest grand daughter was still in HS. They had kids from the Ukraine, Chile, Denmark, China.........and they all had their faces habitually buried in an electronic hand held device...........what will happen if they ever loose their satellite connections for more than 24 hours?!?!!?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined Facebook in order to give many of the soldiers I served with a way to get in touch. I did get contacted by many old friends. I log in about once a month to see if anyone is looking for me.

A common sense approach to communicate with those that may have been out of reach..............
Thanks for your service to this great nation and its citizens.................

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only come here to t-net....tried the fb thing years ago and promptly tried to close my account.took like a month.while my daughter does those kind of things it seems she isnt too absorbed into it.whew.mostly she has those earbuds in and listening to music.
On a bright note...there is some pretty good new bands out there.If you like classic rock you may be surprised that its back with the h.s. aged kids.cool.she shares her music with me,and even better...she wants to play drums!!!!woo hoo as I'm a lifetime drummer

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Facebook as does my wife and her family. Wife talks to her family and friends through it which is good for her and keeps her from being homesick since her family are 10,000 miles away..

Many of my family use Facebook to share events and some are older than me and some only a few years younger but not close enough to visit every week.

A lot of my Facebook presence is political, addressing the political issues destroying this country, have made good friends through FB and found many kindred spirits....

I remember hearing the same complaints about rock and roll, computers and the internet....

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use Facebook as does my wife and her family. Wife talks to her family and friends through it which is good for her and keeps her from being homesick since her family are 10,000 miles away..

Many of my family use Facebook to share events and some are older than me and some only a few years younger but not close enough to visit every week.

A lot of my Facebook presence is political, addressing the political issues destroying this country, have made good friends through FB and found many kindred spirits....

I remember hearing the same complaints about rock and roll, computers and the internet....

Yeah but rock and roll never allowed my ex wife or high school girl friends from eons ago to send me a friend request

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but rock and roll never allowed my ex wife or high school girl friends from eons ago to send me a friend request
Doesn't mean you have to except... If I got one from my ex I would "return to sender, address unknown"...

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chizzy- live checkers-
Amen! Hate them things and every time I'm in a line, don't care how far back and the one "attendant" overseeing the self checkout machines comes up and asks if I'd like to use on of them I always tell them- "No thank you, I value your job, and everyone of those machines represents someone who used to have a job"

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Several years before I retired from the Federal Government, they tried to force Facebook down our' throats as a means of keeping the Public informed about the weather. As we were already stressed and overworked during severe weather events, we sure did not need another task on our' plates to keep us from detecting (identifying) a Severe Thunderstorm or that a Severe Thunderstorm was now producing a Tornado or a Flash Flood and hinder us from issuing a warning to the Public! Also, at the time, Facebook was often used to post negative stuff on a person's Timeline which I was definitely against. However, since retiring and after much prodding by my daughters and the only sister I have left, I joined and have slowly gotten used to going on it for updates on family and read some of the posts others make. Since a lot of my family members and friends have Cell Phone Plans which limit the use of Talk and Text each month and if you go over that limit, the bill skyrockets, we use it as a no cost way to keep in touch. I also use Facebook to post my opinions, thoughts and feelings on touchy subjects and which are often against the policies of most websites that host forums. Could I live without it, yes! Could some of my family members and friends live without it, probably not because they cannot afford for their cell phone bills to go up! While I care little for Facebook, it has it's pros and cons and for now, it is something that I can live with to stay in touch with those that count the most! Now if it could help me find a big Cache of Gold coins or the Mother Lode of Gold nuggets or veins, then I would be it's biggest fan.

Frank

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally began using it to find old friends / classmates. That kinda thing.
But when all the political crap and all the little "cliques" began forming I left.

I am VERY open in my voicing of my distain for things,, and I guess FB couldn't handle it.
I was "reported" a few times,, meh,, I could care less.

NOW,, I am getting emails that I have been "missed" and I should "come back".
Pffft,,, No thanks
All it is now is a collection point for the NSA and Big corps looking to target you with advertising.

Hit

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I need to connect with someone I use

Email, Phone, or personal visit.
My voice still works, though I'm no big fan of phone calls it beats