Grandpa Left It To Me

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Another thread got me to thinking..."When we find key dates in coins as tectors, why not simply tell a coin buyer that this was left to us by a grandparent or such?

Seems that our best treasure finds in old coins most times get highly be-rated in value simply because we say it was dug up.

Make'em prove it wasn't, or find a new coin dealer. Why would the fact that a beautiful old silver coin (and most are beauitiful at first sight while still in the hole), purposely left clean besides some careful water touchup...automatically be devalued by a dealer? I think it is due to the fact we say it was dug.

Maybe Grandpa dug it and never told us.

Just like any sales person in anything from cars to coins...why not say anything besides it was dug? It can only cost you a depreciation in price paid.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cause it ain't truthful!
And if you think you can fraudulently present a dug coin to a dealer, you're in for a surprise. They actually know their business.
"Dug" coins that are valuable are rare. That's why they are voted "Banner".
GL though...
Peace ✌

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Cause it ain't truthful!
And if you think you can fraudulently present a dug coin to a dealer, you're in for a surprise. They actually know their business.
"Dug" coins that are valuable are rare. That's why they are voted "Banner".
GL though...
Peace ✌

You ever bought a house worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, or a used car worth 5-6K and found both the house and used car was misrepsented(lied about?)

Honesty in a dug coin, IMPO, is stupid to just flat out admit after reading all of the stories I've read and know from personal experience.

Good luck in life with honesty. Those buying old coins don't follow that example.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and yes.
There was once a thing called, "doing business with a handshake". This is how I still do business.
Each concerned realizes future business requires honesty.
Just sayin'...
Peace ✌

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes and yes.
There was once a thing called, "doing business with a handshake". This is how I still do business.
Each concerned realizes future business requires honesty.
Just sayin'...
Peace ✌

This is the way I conduct myself in getting permissions also.....If the deal struck requires disclose of finds I Don't hide or hold back the good stuff... Thats just me....

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permissions are a great example. Once received, present EVERY find to land/homeowner. This shows honestly, and is a win/win for metal "detectorists".
What might be considered junk to a person detecting, may be cherished by the land/homeowner?
Do what's right.
Peace ✌

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like someone has a skewed moral compass. Brother the truth will set you free. You won't have to try to remember all those misrepresentations (lies). You live your life the way you see fit. I rather take the high road and not have to look over my shoulder continuously. I may never be rich, but I am happy. Every day above ground is a great day, and when that changes, it's time to move on.

Last edited:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree 100% with being honest in your business dealings. In the case of the "dug coin" however, it's nobody's business where you got it from, and unless the dealer has a very good reason to believe that it's stolen, then he shouldn't even be asking. Let him appraise it according to its condition alone..... not where it came from.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I have learned; "everyone has a price"! :treasurechest::tongue3::laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't see why a coin buyer needs to know where it came from .... IN THE FIRST PLACE !! Let them be the judge of whether they want to buy it. The source (whether from your grandpa, or you found it, etc...) should be irrelevant.

One time a buddy of mine showed a rare CC $5 gold he'd found to a coin-dealer/buyer (back in the days before ebay). The guy was about to counter grade it pretty durned high (he was getting excited for us too), till somehow, it came out, in casual mention "dug with a metal detector ?". All of the sudden the coin dealer's eyebrows raised, he blinked a few times, looked back at the coin, and immediately began to subtly downgrade the condition (versus his initial optimism). Thus yes: I have seen how, firsthand, the mere mention of "dug" can make people just assume it's got some downgrade.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any reason to have to explain myself to someone if we were to ever sell a coin. Then again, If we found that Wells Fargo chest, I'm sure Wells Fargo would be banging on my door wanting it all "back". Loose lips sink ships!:censored:

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not see the point in lying to the coin dealer because if this dealer is Good at their job, they will pick out the dug coins anyway. Technology today will allow them to blow that seated dime up to the size of a basketball. For me, I did not get into this for the money anyway and more often than not I give the land owner first dibs on whatever I have dug up on their property. Just my thoughts on this.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I agree 100% with being honest in your business dealings. In the case of the "dug coin" however, it's nobody's business where you got it from, and unless the dealer has a very good reason to believe that it's stolen, then he shouldn't even be asking. Let him appraise it according to its condition alone..... not where it came from.
^^^^. This is what I would do. Say nothing other than "what would you pay for this". You're not being dishonest or deceptive. The dealer is the expert and will know it's a dug coin. When you have a yard sale do you feel obligated to tell potential buyers the entire history of the salt & pepper shakers you're selling ? That is "if" I ever wanted to sell any of my finds, which I never have. But let's all turn this thread into a pissing contest about integrity and argue and insult eachother like always seems to happen around here...

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ummm.. my point exactly about throwing insults around and attacking someones integrity. Did you miss his VERY FIRST sentence where he said he read it on another thread ? Or maybe you ignored the quotation marks ? Buncha grumpy old men around this joint and yeah, I can be one of them..

The comment, "Another thread got me to thinking" was lifted from the original post from the other forum. "The quotation marks were in the original post on the other forum. It was literally copied and pasted from the other forum.

It's an interesting topic and I've enjoyed reading the posts but it would have been nice to acknowledge the poster from the other forum.

Unless he is the poster from the other forum and uses a different name here.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I never tell were my coins i sell came from ... I see no reason to . And i have only been asked a very few times were they came from ... And then i just say they have been in the family for some time .. And if i just found them last week ...YES they have been in the family for some time..

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Another thread got me to thinking..."When we find key dates in coins as tectors, why not simply tell a coin buyer that this was left to us by a grandparent or such?

Seems that our best treasure finds in old coins most times get highly be-rated in value simply because we say it was dug up.

Make'em prove it wasn't, or find a new coin dealer. Why would the fact that a beautiful old silver coin (and most are beauitiful at first sight while still in the hole), purposely left clean besides some careful water touchup...automatically be devalued by a dealer? I think it is due to the fact we say it was dug.

Maybe Grandpa dug it and never told us.

Just like any sales person in anything from cars to coins...why not say anything besides it was dug? It can only cost you a depreciation in price paid.

I never tell were my coins i sell came from ... I see no reason to . And i have only been asked a very few times were they came from ... And then i just say they have been in the family for some time .. And if i just found them last week ...YES they have been in the family for some time..

I don't buy or sell coins, but if a dealer is asking where you got it, he may just be trying to find out if you bought it or to see if you are the legal owner. He should be basing the value of the coin on its condition. Not where it came from, drawer, attic or yard.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Did you really just copy and paste this post as your own?

Grandpa Left It To Me - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

I authored that post myself on Friendlies and cut and pasted it here. My forum names are different between the two discussion sites.

As far as a good coin buyer knowing a silver coin was dug,,,how?, assuming the coin was never cleaned beyond gentle water? Coins slide on other coins and counter tops, etc, for years. IMO, we just devalue our own coin by mentioning it came from the ground. That's all I am saying.

Two wrongs don't make a right but don't you think coin buyers will skin you as much as they can on what they'll pay? There's dishonesty there, more than the ethics of not telling about digging a great looking coin. Let them figure it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread