Flying with your detectors and gear!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The family and I are getting ready for our trip. I normally send our gear UPS to the wife's cousins so I don't have to deal with it on the plane. This year though, were going to Mass and there is no way for me to send it UPS to any one location. I am having to place the "diggers/batteries/chargers and such in my big luggage under the plane. I plan on breaking down our machines and taking them on board with us.

I'm looking for the best ideas from you all on what or how you have done it!!! Large backpack with one machine or two? Pack the shafts in the big luggage? My son and I were just going to use the backpacks that came with the detectors. I just don't know. I hate flying and dealing with the TSA people.........Oh, well!:BangHead:

Any and all input would be appreciated!!! Thanks. We have two weeks before we go. :hello2:

bolle

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Break your detectors Down, put shafts, diggers, chargers in a checked bag. Bring the coils and electronics with you in your carryon. They are the most expensive pieces to replace so you want to keep them close. And an entire detector or all detector parts in a checked bag is tempting to thieves, and having worked for an airlines, I can tell you there are lots of them who have access to your checked bags.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have usually carried my detectors on in a backpack. My digging tools go in the checked bag. I have yet to have anyone in the US open the backpack after x-ray. If you have Lithium Ion batteries, be sure and check the new regulations on how to transport them.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Last time TSA(creeps..think their god)called "bag check"they pulled me aside and swabbed my MKII for explosives,like I said.....CREEPS! Where in Mass. you headed?

GOD Bless

Chris

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I break mine down and pack it among my clothes and check it through. Pin-pointer, knee pads, digger, pouch, batteries, coil, everything.

My bag has on occasion gone elsewhere for a day or two, but it always shows up with my detector just fine.

I put my used underwear in a strategic location, so it's the first thing anybody grabs, and they usually don't go any further.

Should I be lucky enough to lose my luggage for good, I'll file the usual claim and then go upgrade to that CTX 3030 I'm after.

I've been traveling domestically and internationally for the past 15 years, quite extensively. I've never filed a claim. My luggage is well marked, my business cards are everywhere, and smelly underwear is readily available.

My last trip home from New England my luggage got lost in Boston. (I arrived via small plane from Maine)

A couple of days later some lady in Gainesville Fl called, got my business card out, and asked why my luggage was sitting in her office.

I had the bag, and the detector, the next day.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time TSA(creeps..think their god)called "bag check"they pulled me aside and swabbed my MKII for explosives,like I said.....CREEPS! Where in Mass. you headed?

GOD Bless

Chris

Were staying in Waltham for 3 days then to Marthas Vineyard for 9. I hope they don't swab it. The detectors are kept in the gun safe and bang around with the long guns in the back our rig when were out and about. Figures!!!! This should be FUN!!!

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I break mine down and pack it among my clothes and check it through. Pin-pointer, knee pads, digger, pouch, batteries, coil, everything.

My bag has on occasion gone elsewhere for a day or two, but it always shows up with my detector just fine.

I put my used underwear in a strategic location, so it's the first thing anybody grabs, and they usually don't go any further.

Should I be lucky enough to lose my luggage for good, I'll file the usual claim and then go upgrade to that CTX 3030 I'm after.

I've been traveling domestically and internationally for the past 15 years, quite extensively. I've never filed a claim. My luggage is well marked, my business cards are everywhere, and smelly underwear is readily available.

My last trip home from New England my luggage got lost in Boston. (I arrived via small plane from Maine)

A couple of days later some lady in Gainesville Fl called, got my business card out, and asked why my luggage was sitting in her office.

I had the bag, and the detector, the next day.

Hmmmm:icon_scratch:

If my luggage is lost; the boy and I will be at the detector shop down the road making a purchase. The wife would have "NO" say in that one!!!!:occasion14:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Were staying in Waltham for 3 days then to Marthas Vineyard for 9. I hope they don't swab it. The detectors are kept in the gun safe and bang around with the long guns in the back our rig when were out and about. Figures!!!! This should be FUN!!!

Not to familiar with that area,best of hunting dude!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with the suggestion to carry them with you- only check your digging tools as they probably will not get past the security screening process.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with the suggestion to carry them with you- only check your digging tools as they probably will not get past the security screening process.
I've carried my detector as my second carry on a lot of times with no problems. A suggestion is to put a copy of the instruction manual in with it. The only time TSA had a question, the other guy thumbed through the manual & said it's ok. A club sticker or manufacturer sticker on the case helps. Had a lady ask what it was, I replied, It's just like his (the guy with the wand) only way better. Everyone stared & giggled. If the stewardess gives you any problems have them put it with the strollers.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little info!!

All went well without any issues!!! We just broke down the machines and carried them on with us.

Only thing was; on the way back, my son's bag was checked after going though the metal detector because we had forgot about a really old hatchet he had found and we left it in the bag. The gall go's through the bag and never even batted an eye at it!!! Kinda thought it was funny. This thing is about 5 pounds, old and rusted! Oh well!

Thanks again from everyone for all the info.

bolle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread