One of the last coke bottle before New Coke and Coke Classic, Collectible??

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this last month on top of the ground while metal detecting. From what I know, it was made in 1985, the thing is, in April of 1985 they made "New Coke", then in June they released the "Coke Classic" with corn syrup instead of sugar. Would this have any collectible value considering it is one of the last "old" coke bottles made, or is it just garbage? Being a soft drink bottle collector I will keep it either way just for the heck of it.
2015-07-09 16.48.17.jpg 2015-07-09 16.48.55.jpg

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure?
Great info and dates.
I keep pre-60s. Cincinnati had a bottling plant in "Walnut Hills". I went to high school in that area and concentrate on those.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure?
Great info and dates.
I keep pre-60s. Cincinnati had a bottling plant in "Walnut Hills". I went to high school in that area and concentrate on those.
Peace ✌

I keep anything interesting that involves old soda, I have found a few old coke bottles, nothing very old, usually just '60s ACL or Embossed clear "No Deposit". I don't normally keep cans, but every now and then if there is a '60s can in great shape with almost no rust and original colors I may keep it depending on the can.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I wish I still had the beer can collection I amassed during the 70s as a kid.
Now n then, cone tops were found in good condition.
Some of the cans I considered undesirable at the time are now relished?
Peace ✌

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea, I wish I still had the beer can collection I amassed during the 70s as a kid.
Now n then, cone tops were found in good condition.
Some of the cans I considered undesirable at the time are now relished?
Peace ✌

There is a 40s and 50s trash pile in the woods with practically 100 cone top beer cans piled up on the surface, all of them are ready to crumble to pieces with no trace of who made them, so they are not worth taking. Too bad they aren't in better shape, I probably would have taken one or two than.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love and always keep my eye out for older bottles and marbles. I have stuff going back to the 1880's/90's which is old for around here. You can see the glass colors transition from a bluish green or the pinkish rose type color to clear. The only Coke bottles that I pick up now are the dark blue stubbies, as the clear is relatively common here. I have some blues bottom stamped from Montana, North Dakota etc. If I find a single old swirl marble in decent condition, I have already had a satisfying day, regardless of any coin find...........Tip: To find old bottles walk at the base of hills and look up through the brush in the leafless spring time. If you see heaps of brown rusting cans, go in and look. Sometimes all you'll see is a glint off a semi buried bottle. If you find a depression, start digging, it may have been a trash or burn pit. People used to dump their wagon loads of garbage down a hill. Your eye gets trained to see these spots quickly after a while. Another tip..... Check any shallow creeks or rivers when the water is low. Lots of bottles in water. If searching for Indian points, check a field in the morning after a rain. The wet stone glints a little in the early morning sunlight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I love and always keep my eye out for older bottles and marbles. I have stuff going back to the 1880's/90's which is old for around here. You can see the glass colors transition from a bluish green or the pinkish rose type color to clear. The only Coke bottles that I pick up now are the dark blue stubbies, as the clear is relatively common here. I have some blues bottom stamped from Montana, North Dakota etc. If I find a single old swirl marble in decent condition, I have already had a satisfying day, regardless of any coin find...........Tip: To find old bottles walk at the base of hills and look up through the brush in the leafless spring time. If you see heaps of brown rusting cans, go in and look. Sometimes all you'll see is a glint off a semi buried bottle. If you find a depression, start digging, it may have been a trash or burn pit. People used to dump their wagon loads of garbage down a hill. Your eye gets trained to see these spots quickly after a while. Another tip..... Check any shallow creeks or rivers when the water is low. Lots of bottles in water. If searching for Indian points, check a field in the morning after a rain. The wet stone glints a little in the early morning sunlight.

I do a little trash pit digging, the pits I go to are 1880's-1890's. I have a collection of close to one hundred complete bottles I have found in though late 19th century trash piles, I will try to find a photo of all my bottles when I get the chance. Bottle digging is very fun for me, if only I can find a new trash pile or pit to search :)

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool man! Also keep your eye out for old Coke machines like this whilst digging around old dumps.
Untitled.jpg

Thanks Mr. Jeff in Pa. for flipping my picture right side up.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool man! Also keep your eye out for old Coke machines like this whilst digging around old dumps.
View attachment 1186757

Thanks Mr. Jeff in Pa. for flipping my picture right side up.

:thumbsup: You can Click on it Now & it won't turn upside down Either.
I finally figured out how to change(bypass) the orientation information in the photos :tongue3:

Last edited:

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
A bottle of coke from thr 50s didn;t taste anything like the current coke. it actually had cocaine in it. kinda harsh and it fizzled

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread