Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the best way to clean this ring ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437858442.971644.jpg
It's 925 and I believe opal I'm not sure how easily it will damage I'm really just trying to make out a hallmark so perhaps I could just clean the silver.?thanks

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that lemon juice, or a vinegar soak will clean the silver. It's a gentle acid and will remove the tarnish, maybe enough to see what you are looking for. You need to soak it for a day or so, keeping an eye on it.

I do NOT know about the stone however...

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that lemon juice, or a vinegar soak will clean the silver. It's a gentle acid and will remove the tarnish, maybe enough to see what you are looking for. You need to soak it for a day or so, keeping an eye on it.

I do NOT know about the stone however...

Thanks for your prompt reply you don't think it will hurt opal

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Is ring a find?
Check Cleaning & Preservation forum for multiple cleaning methods.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sale find my hunt day is tomorrow I've got a couple fresh cellar holes I'm very psyched

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't put the stone in anything unless I knew what it was. My mom told me if you want to know if a pearl is real, soak it in vinegar. If it disappears, it was real.

I think if I remember Rio Grande Jewelers has a lint of stones and the chemicals to avoid. It takes some searching. A jeweler could buff the stone out if it's scratched.

OP
OP
Joe hunter

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kinda what I'm afraid of I'm going to try just cleaning the hallmark area

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the hallmark area is normally on the inside of the shank , just clean the inside of the shank - you don't have to use a liquid
or chemical of any kind - take a piece of very fine steel wool and just work it for 30 seconds - what's the problem here ?

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be the best way to clean this ring View attachment 1191688
It's 925 and I believe opal I'm not sure how easily it will damage I'm really just trying to make out a hallmark so perhaps I could just clean the silver.?thanks

Opal is very porous and soft so dont expose it to anything chemical. Just about any jeweler will steam clean the ring for nothing. Takes about two minutes.....

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Buy some silver cleaner from your jewlery store or ebay. I have tried it on some silver with Opal and it never damaged it. That cleaner is designed for silver that may have jewels in it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread