boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good 2 part epoxy works. Put some Vaseline on a stick that fits the holes to keep them in line, and build it up a little where the tabs meet the coil. JB is ok, but it does have metal in it. If you have some JB laying around and a magnet from a hard drive mix up some JB cover the magnet with saran wrap and spread the JB on it! Does really weird things! Found this out trying to glue a magnet on a stick. Turned around and the JB was crawling off the magnet.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Kind of depends on where the break is?

Did it break through the bolt hole or did they snap off at the top of the coil?

May be able to scab a sheet piece of ABS plastic over them to stiffen them and make the repair stronger.

Jeff

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tried abs glue with no luck
JB weld did work and the metal that is in it seems to have no effect on the coil even in the pin point mode

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is coil still under warranty, if so send it in they will replace coil. Just remember there is metal in most JB Weld...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Some have used JB Weld to fix the ears. I haven't done it personally.

Good luck!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

I tried that. Along with plastic "splint" and JB weld combined. But be aware: It will never be as good as original , and could break again :(

Not sure of any metal content in JB weld, that TH'r is talking about. It looks like a plastic compund to me ! I wonder if you did the 50/50 mix, and let a thumbnail size splotch of JB weld dry, would it give off a metal signal ? Whatcha think TH'r ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The minelab coil plastics are a combination of ABS & PC if I remember right when I sprayed bug juice on the coil the tabs snapped off after a couple of days as it was just sitting on the back seat of the truck. I tried a 2 part epoxy and it just broke again after a little use out in the field. I threw the coil in on the sale of the detector for free as the attempts at repair didn't work. I have read posts of guys opening up the coil, recasting the housing, and it's a thing that becomes a labour of love.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried that. Along with plastic "splint" and JB weld combined. But be aware: It will never be as good as original , and could break again :(

Not sure of any metal content in JB weld, that TH'r is talking about. It looks like a plastic compound to me ! I wonder if you did the 50/50 mix, and let a thumbnail size splotch of JB weld dry, would it give off a metal signal ? Whatcha think TH'r ?

JB Weld has a Material Data Safety Sheet that says 10-20% of it is iron dust

http://www.menards.com/msds/101298_001.pdf

Attachments

• JB Weld.pdf
    87.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
JB Weld has a Material Data Safety Sheet that says 10-20% of it is iron dust

http://www.menards.com/msds/101298_001.pdf

Interesting. Hmmm. I'm going to make a dimple of the stuff (the 2 ingredients mixed), and let it dry. Then will air test it in all-metal, and see what happens.

But even if it's true that it can give a signal, wouldn't the fact that it's "fixed" (doesn't move in relation to the coil) mean that the auto-tune track feature merely acclimate/tune to that level of surrounding ? Kind of like the coil wire leading away from the loop is also metal. But pretty-much stays "fixed".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread