Cant choose between Garret 150/250 And any advice on buying used metal detector?

Which one should I get? Which is best value for money in your opinion?

• Garret Ace 150 (used) + cheap pinpointer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garret Ace 250 (used)

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't choose between Garret 150/250 And any advice on buying used metal detector?

Hi all. I have a bunch of questions and it would be great if someone gives me some advice!

First of all, I have never had a metal detector and I have never even held one in my arms. However I am very interested in history and relics, coins and many different things like these. Few days ago I saw live action of metal detecting, and I finally decided in a long time to get myself one of those metal detectors and try for myself. So for a few days I have been looking videos and reading websites about many different metal detectors and I have come to a conclusion that I have to get either Garret Ace 150 or Garret Ace 250, which seem to be the best value for money. As my budget for these kind of things is quite low, I am planning to buy used detector. So here are a few questions I wanted to ask, answer to even one question would be a great help! So here are the questions,

1) As far as I researched, Garret Ace 250 is significantly better than Garret Ace 150. But is it still good value for money? Or I would be better off by buying Ace 150 and getting a cheap Chinese pin pointer for help?

2)And as I am about to buy used detector from private person, can you give some advice what are the things I should be looking out? For example, how do I test if everything is working correctly and how should I check if the metal detector is not damaged or extensively used? Any tips or advice would be very helpful!

If it helps, I am planning to do detecting at Eastern Europe and for nothing very specific. Just coins, relics, old jewelry and so on!

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I say go for the 250 plus get a good pinpointer. I did and have had plenty of good finds. As far as making sure everything works, watch the Ace 250 tutorial videos on youtube first then test out the used machine after learning a little more about the features. Stay away from the cheap pinpointers unless you like buying one every couple of months. I prefer the Garrett Pro-pointer AT myself. Well worth the investment. Good luck and happy hunting!

Last edited:

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would get the 150 and use the money difference to get the real Pro Pointer. I went my first year without a pointer and it was a big mistake...it'll cut down your target dig and hunt time by about 90%...even with a detector with a Pinpoint. I saved money and got the Cheap pointer and it was another mistake. The less time on your knees digging and the more time you're listening for targets the more chance you have at finding the good stuff!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go for the 250 plus get a good pinpointer. I did and have had plenty of good finds. As far as making sure everything works, watch the Ace 250 tutorial videos on youtube first then test out the used machine after learning a little more about the features. Stay away from the cheap pinpointers unless you like buying one every couple of months. I prefer the Garrett Pro-pointer AT myself. Well worth the investment. Good luck and happy hunting!

I would get the 150 and use the money difference to get the real Pro Pointer. I went my first year without a pointer and it was a big mistake...it'll cut down your target dig and hunt time by about 90%...even with a detector with a Pinpoint. I saved money and got the Cheap pointer and it was another mistake. The less time on your knees digging and the more time you're listening for targets the more chance you have at finding the good stuff!

Thanks for the answers!

I did some research and talked to people and many claim that the Garrett Pro-pointers break as often as Chinese ones. Some even say that with proper care the Chinese ones work for long time and do the same function as Garrett. I am quite confused at the moment.

Also, 250 has a pinpoint mode. Does it have something to do with these handheld pointers? I found a site that claims that 250 does not need an additional pin-pointer as it has inbuilt one already.

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the answers!

I did some research and talked to people and many claim that the Garrett Pro-pointers break as often as Chinese ones. Some even say that with proper care the Chinese ones work for long time and do the same function as Garrett. I am quite confused at the moment.

Also, 250 has a pinpoint mode. Does it have something to do with these handheld pointers? I found a site that claims that 250 does not need an additional pin-pointer as it has inbuilt one already.

Personally I would not use a pinpointer made in China but to each his own. Can't praise my AT Pro-pointer enough as I've dropped mine, used it underwater and left it sitting in the sun for hours without any issues performance wise in the last 6 months. Good luck with your choice.

Pinpointing with the ACE 250 and using a handheld pinpointer are like comparing apples to oranges as each does the same job a little differently. The 250 does a good job at getting you right over the general surface area of the target when pinpointing but is not perfect. It took me a while to master pinpointing with mine. There is a "sweet spot" in the stock coil where the large opening is and if you pinpoint well then you are usually right above the target. The handheld pinpointer comes in handy when you are going to actually dig the hole and are searching for your target in the dirt. It can fit down into your hole where the Ace 250 coil usually can't and give you some direction on where to dig based on its proximity signal. It saves you time looking for the object and prevents you from digging excessively large holes which equal frustration, wasted time and effort. With practice using both the detector and the handheld pinpointer your target recovery time is reduced, you dig smaller holes and thus have more time to find more of the good stuff.

Best of luck hunting in Europe! Hope to make it there myself someday and treasure hunt. :icon_thumright:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would join the crowd and say get yourself a real pinpointer.

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would not use a pinpointer made in China but to each his own. Can't praise my AT Pro-pointer enough as I've dropped mine, used it underwater and left it sitting in the sun for hours without any issues performance wise in the last 6 months. Good luck with your choice.

Pinpointing with the ACE 250 and using a handheld pinpointer are like comparing apples to oranges as each does the same job a little differently. The 250 does a good job at getting you right over the general surface area of the target when pinpointing but is not perfect. It took me a while to master pinpointing with mine. There is a "sweet spot" in the stock coil where the large opening is and if you pinpoint well then you are usually right above the target. The handheld pinpointer comes in handy when you are going to actually dig the hole and are searching for your target in the dirt. It can fit down into your hole where the Ace 250 coil usually can't and give you some direction on where to dig based on its proximity signal. It saves you time looking for the object and prevents you from digging excessively large holes which equal frustration, wasted time and effort. With practice using both the detector and the handheld pinpointer your target recovery time is reduced, you dig smaller holes and thus have more time to find more of the good stuff.

Best of luck hunting in Europe! Hope to make it there myself someday and treasure hunt. :icon_thumright:

I would join the crowd and say get yourself a real pinpointer.
Alright thanks! I guess I will rather save up and get the Garrett pinpointer. I watched a few videos and I saw live action of the Garret Pro pinpointer and it does seem to be as useful as the detector itself.

More answers and opinions on this matter would be great however!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buy a used 250 and get a used American Co. PinPointer, why buy offshore when it invented here in the first place?

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a used 250 and get a used American Co. PinPointer, why buy offshore when it invented here in the first place?
I do not live in USA or Canada, it does not matter much for me where it is located or made. (If it is located in Europe then it matters a lot for me) Except for knowing quality, products I have from USA are top-notch in quality :thumbsup:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do decide to get the Garrett Pro pointer, go with the AT orange one. It's waterproof to 10 feet and it has many more features than the original. It is 20 dollars more but the extra cost is well worth the features. If it was me I'd go with the ACE 250 Garrett pro-pointer AT and a Lesche digger. The 250 is a coin hound, you will love it. Of course, if money is an issue go with the 250 and the Lesche digger, or similar European tool. Once you start hunting you will see that you need a pin-pointer and then you'll know which one to get. Good luck on your decision welcome to T-net, and whatever you get you will be hooked.
-Dr. Witty

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do decide to get the Garrett Pro pointer, go with the AT orange one. It's waterproof to 10 feet and it has many more features than the original. It is 20 dollars more but the extra cost is well worth the features. If it was me I'd go with the ACE 250 Garrett pro-pointer AT and a Lesche digger. The 250 is a coin hound, you will love it. Of course, if money is an issue go with the 250 and the Lesche digger, or similar European tool. Once you start hunting you will see that you need a pin-pointer and then you'll know which one to get. Good luck on your decision welcome to T-net, and whatever you get you will be hooked.
-Dr. Witty
Sounds great, I will look into these pointers, thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread