May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
V__D4D2[1].jpg

12 lbs. 7 ounces. Big ass carp in the river. It was fun.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend gave me some carp he had smoked. It was every bit as good as smoked salmon. After that when someone caught a carp they would save it for me to smoke. No jokes about being hard to light up.
He also made pickled pike.
When I lived in Illinois on the Fox river the carp would spawn so thick it seemed you could walk on them.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
What detector did you use?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Treasure comes in all forms. It's even gold colored!

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kept him long enough to get a picture. I let it go so another fisherman could have fun catching him.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detector did you use?

Well, like MsBeepBeep says, they are just a big GOLDfish. ;-)

We used to have a Carpie Derby sponsored by a local radio station here on the Susquehanna River. It was a blast and a lot of silliness.

I had a neighbor when I lived on the Chenango River who was also a fly fisherman and we used to try catching carp by sight-fishing with nymphs when the river was low. Susquehanna Bonefish. They're actually hard to catch that way and VERY spooky of the line. We had many hooks ups, screaming runs and great battles but I don't recall we ever actually landed one. Truth be told even the smaller chubs were fun and smallmouth were the best.

Last month we went for a drive and stopped at Mud Lock up at the head of Cayuga Lake where the NYS Barge Canal connects. There were carp swimming at the closed gate that were well over four feet long and a couple old, scarred submarines that looked to be all of five feet long. That's a real fish!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He must have been using a "Fisher" Model detector ;)
Wish we had Carp here at home, fought a few on my travels. good fight for a medium fish

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread