mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the 2nd of August me and my hunting buddy was in a local lake metal detecting and he pulls up a hand grenade. I told him to put it up on the beach. We keep on detecting and when we was done I took a long at his find and i told him I was calling 911 as this sure looks like a grenade. Cops came out and took a look at it and called the bomb squad out. When the guy from the bomb squad got there he looked at it and told us it was a pineapple from WWII. he took it and said they would detonate it later. Well as it turns out they detonated it last Friday and it was a LIVE grenade. I guess you never know what we will dig up. Guess the good lord was watching over us. Please be careful out there guys and gals, and may the finds be great for you.......Matt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
wow. Good thing that didn't go off.

A similar situation happened in San Francisco Golden Gate park a few years ago: Friend of mine dug up some odd-looking clump of metal. He actually hit on it several times with his lesche digger, to knock off the dirt for a better look. Till he began to see the pineapple sides , then he realized he was hitting on a grenade! He dropped it and ran from the spot. He called the cops, who secured the area with a ribboned zone. Called in bomb squads or robot or whatever. Turned out it was real. With the instability of having been buried all those years, it was possible his clanking and hitting on it could have set it off. I think that even made the nightly TV news, if I recall.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I unearthed an Old .50 Cal out of a childrens playground, can never be too careful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions