Coin Find Percentages

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I finally sorted out the last few months of coins I found and came up with the percentages. Out of 2476 coins found:
1635 were pennies = 66%
148 were nickels = 5.79%
407 were dimes = 16.4%
286 were quarters = 11.5%
I know this doesn't mean much because depending on the discrimination mode used, and type of places hunted, the percentages could change greatly. I just thought this was sort of interesting. I would like to hear other peoples percentages compared to these.

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
88 Quarters - 11%
106 Dimes - 13%
51 Nickels - 6%
578 Pennies - 70%

Total Coins 823

The nickel total was higher until I hunted a campground that had so many pull tabs that I discriminated them out, which also did away with my nickel finds.

HH
Bob

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Treasure Tracker or Treasure Journal will keep track of your finds. I was using an excel spread sheet until I posted on TN and was sent the link to these two freeware programs. I can't find the replies from the members that sent me the link, but just type them into your search engine. I use them both because Treasure Tracker has percentages and Treasure Journal has your finds by the day along with an area to record other finds.

Bob

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If I only hunt school playgrounds I find fewer pennies and more quarters, dimes and nickels. I think this is because kids are embarrassed to pay for lunch with a hand full of pennies. On the other hand I find substantially more pennies at public park playgrounds. I think location plays a lot to do with it as does a few more variables.

Does silver colored clad coinage sink faster than zinc pennies?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread