Sovereign Elite or X-terra 705 advice QUICK

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're asking the comparison between a Sov & a 705 ? That's an apples to oranges comparison. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and it's going to depend on the type hunting you're going to do.

Example: the Sov. would be better on the beach, while the 705 would be better in a ghost-townsy site (with iron). So you're going to need to be a bit more specific.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reviewing your detectors, I say the 705. Merely because of the remaining warranty.
If you don't like it the warranty will be of additional resale value, as it is now.
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Currently Minelab Gp Extreme, MINELAB GT, American Gold Striker , and Sovereign Elite ! PREVIOUSLY Explorer XS, Whites GMT, Fisher Gold Strike, , Whites XLT, Whites DFX, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A companion machine for my Explorer XS. Which one

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A companion machine for my Explorer XS. Which one

Then in that case, the 705. Because IMHO, the Sov and the XS will have about the same depth, and same ability in given-same minerals, etc.... In other words, the XS is equally at home on the beach. Hence the 705 has a few tricks up its sleaves that neither the Sov or the XS can do.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PS: The sov vs XS comparison I gave for the beach (that they'd be similar), is true only in-so-far as discriminate mode goes. When it comes to all-metal mode, the Sov. has a MUCH superior all-metal mode, making it the more popular choice for the beach. Still though, the XS does well enough, assuming you're gonna hunt in disc. mode, for the beach. Then in that case, they're comparable for the wet-salt-beach.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx tom

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couldn't Decide. So I bought both !

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah well, ill sell some fishing gear. Maybe the wife wont notice !!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then in that case, the 705. Because IMHO, the Sov and the XS will have about the same depth, and same ability in given-same minerals, etc.... In other words, the XS is equally at home on the beach. Hence the 705 has a few tricks up its sleaves that neither the Sov or the XS can do.
Question for you Tom
I have a 705 in the sealed box that I won at a Minelabing Day a couple of years ago. I also have owned the Se, have the explorer, the Etrac, and the CTX is there anything that the 705 bag of tricks that I'd be missing in the 90% relic/homestead hunting? If not I'll leave it in the box.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One difference in the 705 is the weight, it's considerably lighter than most other Minelabs.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... is there anything that the 705 bag of tricks that I'd be missing in the 90% relic/homestead hunting? .....

In the relic/homestead category of hunting you describe, the etrac, SE, and CTX will excel in just about everything you'd need. The only thing the 705 could add, is better ability in iron/nails than the afore-mentioned deep-seeker power-houses. If you're using the HF & MF coils. Especially if you put the HF coils on that 705, then you can see in and around iron better than the various explorer incarnations.

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was to use the 705 on the beach, what coil and freq would you recommend?

OP
OP
F

Fletch78

Aug 1, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I used Elite which coil best and why . Platypus or all terrain for main coil. Thanx

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the Elite the 13" Ultimate is hard to beat! Very lightweight and sensitive. I hope you got a straight shaft and not the S shaft?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread