darn upset

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I am disabled and slowly work the park across the street from me. I am slowly learning how to coin pop so as not to make a mess, the targets I cannot get I leave (until I get better) There are lots of targets and I only pop 5-10 a day.

I went out yesterday and some idiot dug up a lot of them making a huge mess. However he did fill in (most) of his holes, but did not cut plugs, flaps or anything it looks like he used a shovel and just scrapped in the dirt with his foot and stepped on it grass roots up turned or what not. It looks like he got 100+ targets. There are still lots of coins that he missed I hope he does not come back. people like this give us all a bad name.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
There's a lot of people in this world that just do not care, see it every day, on the road... everywhere. So glad to see you are one who does care. Keep up the great work Snappy. Best of luck to you and keep sharing with us!

Smiles!
BDoo

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Well that just chaps my cheeks. :(
The good thing is that he was probably too impatient to dig the good stuff. He gets the clad, you get the goodies.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
or better yet keep and eye out for him, teach him how to cut a decent plug, and send him here to learn more. Maybe we can convert the ignorant.

But I'm finding trying to teach people how to drive decent on the highways isn't working as well. My wife sure is surprised I haven't been shot yet. :D

The Standard

Nov 9, 2005
White Plains New York
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
i'm still pretty new at all this and am terrible at cutting plugs or flaps (good thing i only detect family property) ;), any pointers from someone who is ignorant and wants to do it right?

BTW, it wasn't me who did the park, I promise ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be upset too. That's slob behavior right up there with peeing in the watering hole. He/she is going to cause others to suffer for it.

I start with a 2" x 2" pyramid shaped plug by making four jabs with my Lesche. Shallower finds I make a flap, or if the ground is moist. Yesterday at lunch a white-haired gentleman came over and said he should have brought his detector (lives in Florida but was up visiting and taking the gr-grand daughter to the park). He said he'd never seen a neater plug and wondered what I was using (he uses a sand scoop - lucky pup). The ground was very hard and dry and I had pulled a 5" pyramid of dirt with the 2" base and set it point up beside the hole. :D People do notice.

B

BIG61AL

I always try to leave the ground I dig to look like it was before I dig a hole. Sometimes certain types of soil just disintergrate the moment it is disturbed. Wild and weedy areas here do that, so i just fill the hole and smooth it out to match the rest of the dirt. Some weed seed will take advantage of the fresh loose dirt.
My name for a person who digs up ground leaving hole like that and destroying my and other detectionist reputations is - dirtbags!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Roll Hunting 2007 Totals

Half Dollars.

Walkers 1
Franklin 1
Kennedy 90%. 8
Kennedy 40% 17
Proof's 2
Proof's (Silver) 0

Dimes
Rosie (silver) 22
Canadian (silver) 20

Quarters
Washington (silver) 1

you forgot dimes nickels and pennies

The Standard

Nov 9, 2005
White Plains New York
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I'd be upset too. That's slob behavior right up there with peeing in the watering hole. He/she is going to cause others to suffer for it.

I start with a 2" x 2" pyramid shaped plug by making four jabs with my Lesche. Shallower finds I make a flap, or if the ground is moist. Yesterday at lunch a white-haired gentleman came over and said he should have brought his detector (lives in Florida but was up visiting and taking the gr-grand daughter to the park). He said he'd never seen a neater plug and wondered what I was using (he uses a sand scoop - lucky pup). The ground was very hard and dry and I had pulled a 5" pyramid of dirt with the 2" base and set it point up beside the hole. :D People do notice.

that's pretty much what i do, except i use a larger hole than 2x2 (i will try the smaller hole). the only problem i have is it never looks perfect when i put it back in place. i guess that will come with practice, thx for the pointers.

HH

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut plugs or flaps as well. Worked great in Washington, but here in Georgia, any bit of red dirt left marks close to were you dug. And you can't get the fine particles out of the grass. I've considered getting a dirt mat or towel just to put my plug and loose dirt on.

I'm going to really look like a geek with my hat, find/tool belt, pinpointer, trowel, metal detector, knee pads, and then a dirt mat. ;)

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Sheldius said:
I cut plugs or flaps as well. Worked great in Washington, but here in Georgia, any bit of red dirt left marks close to were you dug. And you can't get the fine particles out of the grass. I've considered getting a dirt mat or towel just to put my plug and loose dirt on.

I'm going to really look like a geek with my hat, find/tool belt, pinpointer, trowel, metal detector, knee pads, and then a dirt mat. ;)

Try using a white plastic trash bag. I was using a tall kitchen one over the weekend. Cut the plug, set it on the plastic, put any loose dirt you need to remove on the bag. Once you get the target, sweep the loose dirt back in the hole. replace the plug, step on it, and your done.

Stuff the bag in a pocket and keep hunting.

If the dirt is such that the plug holds together, you'll never know you were there!

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Sheldius said:

I resemble that statement! ;D I usually wear old BDU's and have the back cut out of an old shirt stuffed in one pocket for my mat. I usually forget to take it out and the Mrs washes the shirt in the pocket, works great...can't put dirt on a soiled cloth. ;D

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Critters have been known to dig up fresh dug soil too, cats, squirrels, raccoons, possums and the likes. So you can't really blame it on others until you see them or spot some kind of evidence.

HH

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ant said:
Critters have been known to dig up fresh dug soil too, cats, squirrels, raccoons, possums and the likes. So you can't really blame it on others until you see them or spot some kind of evidence.

HH

Ant I agree with you again on this one! I have one tot lot I go to and there are racoons, foxes and who knows what else digging them holes! In the wood chips especially I think even a lazy person would cover the hole...at least I hope so! I also see rabbits too. Sometimes I see tigers, elephants...oh wait that is the zoo! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions