Ancient roman gold. 8kt kingdom coin. Any help?

Brianbarr88

Jun 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I had this retested and it came back 8kt gold.
Turns out my friends expert also claims its from the BC era and that it belonged to one of the "kingdoms". I guess they only made the bronze ones for the public? Aparently this is something that was for richer people only, particually for people inside the kingdoms.
Pretty cool huh? I'm just wondering if you could pull one up that's similar. They say they made gold versions of these but I'm unable to find it online. A lot of Poole pointed me to the antoninus pius because it was ruled out as bronze. But it's not bronze, like I said I had it tested and it's 8kt gold. Idk what other metal alloys it's made with but its gold.

Before, I made posts stating i needed help id'ing it and I thought gold was ruled out due to it not passing a standard gold test(unknown what karat the guy was testing it at)
But had it tested again and it came back as 8kt gold.
Now, that being said, where can I find another like this to compare differences? Anybody know. I have looked online and can't find another like it. Everyone says it's an antoninus pius but I just don't see the resemblance on the head of the coin. The back, sure yeah there are a few that are almost close, but none are alike. If you look at the face of the coin in the image, you can see the difference. Unless they made gold ones too and just none other are on the Internet to be seen or bought. Anyone with insight or any information please do contact me. I'm considering on having it appraised and authenticated. I had a friend and a coin store owner both tell me it could range anywhere from 40,000-60,000 dollars. Are these guys blowing smoke or is that true?
Everything one of the guys told me so far has been true. His name is JJ. And he hasn't lied to me once, and has also advised me not to sell the coin for $300 as I planned to at first on Facebook.
He told me if its gold as he suspects it could be worth a lot of money. And his opinion was dead on of that guy at the coin store was. They both estimated 40-60k.
Anyways, thanks for anything, this piece is still suspect to me. image.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your coin could have been plated or dipped years ago, so, for the moment, I've ignored the 8K designation. The small differences you have seen on other coins could be caused by the same coin being minted at different mints or in different years. The key factor I honed in on was the "COS IIII" designation on the reverse--and its position relative to Pax (?) holding a scepter and branches--and in the same position. I found that on only one other coin; one from Antoninus Pius (138-161). Note the similarity in the positioning of the "COS IIII" on your coin and on this coin:
9723_ka3594.jpg

The obverse is obviously different. For example, the legend on yours seems to end in"II"; whereas on the one above, it ends in "XXI"
Don...
PS: "Fitzswilk" ID-ed it here --post #3:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/w...oman-coin-bc-era-unidentified-not-bronze.html

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
88 DONT KNOW DANG THING ABOUT IT. BUT I HOPE ONE DAY TO FIND SOMETHING LIKE IT. COOL AUS COIN.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dads thoughts:
The coin is marked S C so it cannot be gold or silver – it is therefore a larger coin. It would help to post size and weight. For the moment assuming some 30mm plus it is a BRASS SESTERTIUS which looks like it has been polished up – hence the gold colour!
The Obverse Legend is ANTONINVS AVG PI-VS PP TRP XVIII Laureate Head right hence Antonius Pius AD 154-55
The Reverse Legend is LIBERTAS COS IIII SC – Libertas standing left holding Pileus and Sceptre with S C in fields.
Coin Book reference is Sears Vol II 4192 and Roman Imperial Coinage Vol III page 142 No 929
Sears 2002 value was F $90 VF $225 and EF $675. This coin is not EF and so $300 valuation might be closer for a non-cleaned coin. The 40-60K valuations are in ‘cloud cuckoo land’. You could get the highest priced Gold Aureus in EF condition from Spink in 2002 for about $7,500!! So even at triple the price it would be $22,500 for an original AD 154 top condition gold coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread