Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This article has been brought up several times on various and sundry forums. Anyone who thinks they can purchase a detector and turn any "family vacation" or outing into a profitable adventure should get out of the hobby, for good, as far as I am concerned!!!
There are many other reasons most detectorists enjoy the hobby with profit motive ranking right about last. At least in my case it does. I enjoy researching the history of an area probably way more than actually finding anything with a detector.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That article sucks...
Ms. Priss broke a nail.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with the negativity of the article but it made me read it all. Oh well metal detecting isn't for everyone. I introduced it to my son and he was also bored within a day because he didn't find anything cool. But he questions me once in a while if I find cool stuff. Too each his own.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a optimistic woman... Not.
How can you deem it "The worst hobby"
I think the worst hobby is the kind you stick in your arm, get high and chase dragons... Now that to me is far far worse.
Reading the article, my wife noticed me constantly shaking my head is dismay just trying to absorb the crap she was writing about.

TH;DLA (Too hard, Didn't learn anything)...

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WELCOME NEW MEMBER TO TNET, AND FOR THIS HOBBY THERES NOTHING BETTER TO BE OUT LOOKING FOR LOST HISTORY AND MAYBE FINDING SOME THING AND MAYBE NOT BUT ALL IN ALLL CANT BEAT IT.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A slight disillusionment followed the acquisition of a detector perhaps.
More tongue in cheek than a rant.
I liked the [ digging around like a colony of monkey-pox-infected prairie dogs.] L.o.l.. (No offence to prairie dogs...)
Wost hobby? Ohh no. Not by far.
But a writer has to write, and she's entitled to have an opinion after trying it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bhonest2

Aug 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you

WELCOME NEW MEMBER TO TNET, AND FOR THIS HOBBY THERES NOTHING BETTER TO BE OUT LOOKING FOR LOST HISTORY AND MAYBE FINDING SOME THING AND MAYBE NOT BUT ALL IN ALLL CANT BEAT IT.

Thanks for all the comments and I appreciate the positive remarks because I find it very exciting looking for older areas to, perhaps, hunt in. And I have learned more about my area in one week than in 13 years of living here. Thanks again.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What do you think of this article?

I am new to metal detecting and found it to be pretty negative.

I agree with her. Everyone should stop detecting any beaches where I live. You will not find annnyyything muah haha

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bhonest2 , Wow , that was incredibly negative ! While I will admit that there does seem to be more hostility in urban environments
toward metal detecting , few things are more satisfying than being out in the sticks , with no one around to bother you with
regulations , permits , etc. This woman really didn't give detecting a fair outing at all - It takes the right attitude to enjoy
metal detecting , she clearly never had it .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
fletch 88 is right: That silly piece has "made the rounds" before , linked on various forums. Fine then, if some people don't like it, all the better for the rest of us :)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen the article before.

I tell people that I know, that are not into MDing, that it is dirty, sweaty, mosquito bitten nightmare of a hobby... where if you are lucky, you will gross about $1.50 an hour.

For those of us that ARE into it, we already have accepted this reality and just go out and have a good time, whether we actually find anything, is almost beside the point. We are going hunting and that's that. Beep...dig...beep...dig...

The fewer people that are into it, the more treasure for the rest of us!

Welcome to TNet, and good luck!

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need more articles like that to discourage others from getting into MDing. Way to many in it already and growing day by day. Closed groups and Forums to keep out non members would also be nice....Nothing to see here, move along, LOL. SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Article is 6 years old.... dont lose any sleep over it....

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well damn...I guess I have to read this article now lol...my interest is piqued.

I can say before reading it that I bought my Scorpion Gold Stinger in an attempt to find just a small fleck gold in the Colorado mountains. Realizing I would never get rich on flour gold...but just for the thrill of it to say "I found gold"!!!.

Every bottle cap is ok with me because it is the hunt not the finds that does it for me. The look in my wifes eye at her first find (.50 cal bullet)....my sons excitement (and ours) over the 10k ring he found on his first hunt (almost made me cry from pride...and jealousy LOL).

Those things make me richer than any find itself ever could.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's all about the thrill of the hunt! But then again, I still get excited when I go to Disneyland!

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could barely finish it...the greed, arrogance and ignorance was appalling to say the least.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it was hilarious. Especially the part about her needing a higher power! What member of this forum swinging an Ace 150 doesn't lust after a F75?
If left to her own devices, without any further interference from her family she would have been hooked! Close call,that.

Capt Nat

Nov 11, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
GTI 2500
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want that article run in every Florida news paper every week.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's a GREAT article. It totally illustrates what happens most of the time when people go out and hunt with a detector for the first time. It also keeps a lot of "maybe I'll do that" types out of the field. This helps keep the volume of hunters low. :)

I'm ok with that.

Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions