Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love ya Red, happy you are back dude

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started collecting early 8mm not to long ago, when i find them cheap. It is so cool to see the background,how people were dressed,the houses,items,etc....I like looking at any of the early home films, or films people took on vacation. No sound, but really interesting stuff!!! Pictures too! even though I only have one sitting out. lol

Nitric, I've been collecting 8mm, 16mm & slides for over 20 years!! I started selling them off a couple years ago.
It was fun watching this family in Canada, they owned a camera shop.
Christmas ones are the best, looking at those presents from the 50's & 60's.
I still have lots I haven't gone thru, just don't have the time anymore!

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, lets see......2 weeks into my Sophmore high school I quit school because I worked circle k at night & I owned a part of a music store.
I wasn't making any money at school (dumb move) but I hated high school, howdy week crap, drunk teachers etc.
In the music store I had a new line of guitars named Ibanez. I had them all, double necks etc, & I ran the repair dept. The owner decided to move back to NY
so I was out of that & school. My dad got me a job with him at a transmission shop, then I went to another shop, then I went to work as a pressman apprentice
on a Goss Urbanite press. After about 2 years I moved to Tucson & worked at another press. Then I transferred back to Phoenix & where I was working graveyeard as a grunt, them not knowing I was a pressman, all the workers walked out for more money!! except 1 person (friend) I knew. He talked me into finishing the run of the Las Vegas Mirror (4 color)by myself so I did.
......7 am the daytime bosses came in & were very surprised that I did it. They made me the night foreman!!! To teach newbies etc.
Then they bought out another paper & I was the boss of 4 press crews at 17!!

I got tired of that & wanted to learn more electronics, so I worked at an electronics parts, equipment store (lot less money but I wanted to learn).
It got to where some of the techs at Motorola would bring me boards to diagnose for them, Plus I was helping a religious TV station repair their equipment large VTR's etc.
I built one of the 1st satellite systems in Arizona from scratch.
From there I went to an electronics firm & designed the decoder box for Fantasy/ Exstacy satellite channels & other decoder stuff.

When I was a freshman I built my 1st synthesizer from schematics Walter Carlos book I got at the library & I had built guitar pedals for bands using Joe Walsh's book.
About 35 years ago I wanted to buy my wife a pinball machine, so I looked around & they wanted more than I wanted to pay.
So I called a few dealers. Mountain coin had rows of them in the back that don't work & the arcades that owned them are long gone so I bought all of them at $125 each.
I bought a mobile home, gutted it out & filled it with pinball machines!
A year after that I had a service center & a retail space in a mall!
That lasted almost 20 years until Williams/Bally quit making them.

So I started going to auctions buying stuff for eBay, then I became an auctioneer & bought storage lockers for 10 years.

Now I'm at home for a while just to get rid of the electronics & stuff I accumulated my whole life!!

There's no place for techs anymore so I got to figure out my next venture.

My interests/hobbies: all types of electronics old & new, keyboards/synthesizers, midi, guitars, help my son , & survive!

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

A very interesting question Dave and your timing is perfect as always too my friend! :thumbsup:

The first picture shown is of my wife's great grandparents photographed in the parlor of their town home in Glasgow, Scotland.
My wife's family emigrated to Toronto, Ontario from Scotland & England in the early 1900's

The second picture is of my great, great grandparents. The round picture on top is an early photo c1885, then over painted, which apparently was a very common thing to do in Victorian times.
The second photo of the gentleman is still in it's original decorative wooden frame c.1885. These folks never made it to Canada, but their grand children did and arrived in Toronto in 1938 when my Mom was just 5 years old.

I'll always remember a story my grandfather told me in 1976 when I was 12 years old and he was in his 80's, he was born in 1901 in Belfast, Ireland.
He told me, "I remember when I was 9 years old, my father took me down to the shipyards in Belfast, he wanted to show me the largest ocean liner in the world being built... it was called the Titanic". :o

Dave

PS. The last pic is of me in 1965 at age 1.5 yrs. :laughing7:

Attachments

• 20150914_170347_resized-crop.jpg
    20150914_170347_resized-crop.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150914_170555_resized-crop.jpg
    20150914_170555_resized-crop.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 00261-3367930015819 (2).jpg
    00261-3367930015819 (2).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 53