2 new (to me) MDs

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spotted a yard sale ad that said metal detector. So I wake up early on my speed in day and drive out. After I get there and fend off the other yard sale Hawks (a very aggressive bunch... Like territorial seagulls), I see the MD... Or should I say 2. Two Fishers, 1265x, 1280x, and headsets. They were all tangled together by the coil and headphone cables. After a little haggling. I load them in the car and head home. After a serious cleaning and untaping (I think someone had stock in 3M), I load in batteries and tada... They both work.

The 1265x box is pretty banged up. The corner is chipped, bottom mount is cracked, missing a nut and washer on the toggle, and the shaft is stained by old scotch tape, but everything works. Air testing depth with the solid 8" coil, at Max pulled out, and backed off so no chatter is like 8-9". I wonder if Fisher has a replacement box.

The 1280x is in excellent condition. Original fiberglass shaft, oversized padded grip, and SS arm cup. The only issue I found was a broken strain relief of the headphone side. Otherwise it has no issues. For a 5 lb. unit, it balances well. I can only think even better underwater. This one has the smaller 8" coil, but still air tests to 8-9". Respectable for a small coil. The Bilson headphones are not bad, fairly comfortable and very light.

IMG_0703.jpg IMG_0704.jpg IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0706.jpg IMG_0707.jpg IMG_0708.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good additions to the arsenal, what was the asking prices for the two units?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
circa late 1980's to mid '90s units. Good for their era. Not deep-seeking by today's standards, but very pleasant easy-to-use. The 1280x is the more valuable of the two. Waterproof if I recall.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
added pics...

PepperJ:
Total... $75 for both. included 2 additional sets of 8 ohm headphones (Nova Pro 8, and a newer Realistic)

Tom:
The 1280x is still being sold new (AFAIK) and is waterproof to 250 ft.

Still not sure if I'm going to hang on to them, or fix and sell them.

One question... I find it odd that both coils are attached with a brass bolt. Is this normal?
Keep in mind, they are thin, #10-32 (3/16" dia) I think.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG great score. I paid 2 bills for a 1280X a few months ago. Being that I am 3 minutes from lake Erie and there are a few state parks close by with beaches, I thought it would be a great change of pace to do some water hunting. Have only hunted with it once so far and pulled 3 fish hooks. The permissions have been coming in good and plenty so I tend to hunt them instead of making time for more water hunting. You should be able to turn that 1280X for 2 bills in a short time.

OP
OP
Auriemma

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I found my 1265x replacement housing in East TX, and I just picked up an 11" coil for the 1265x too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread